Manjaro Linux - KDE-Plasma & XFCE for VIM1

This will only work if you are using the latest multi-boot versions.

Oh right.
How can he update to latest multi boot version.

Also how to Check the multi boot version?

Also how to install the sd os to emmc

How do we get the latest multi-boot system? And how do we install it?

I only intend to use one OS at a time either from EMMC or microSD card.

If eMMC installed the official firmware with Ubuntu , ask on the update mode at the @numbqq , he is engaged in the Assembly of these versions and know which version of u-boot there is used (what are the steps for this option u-boot needed).

What about u-boot ? I presently boot Elementary OS from EMMC, I flashed it there with the tool Khadas provided. I donā€™t have Android or an option of any other OS, it just goes into Elementary OS from EMMC, unless I stick a bootable microSD card in and boot whatever is on it.

1 Like

For correct automatic installation in eMMC, there must be a standard Android firmware. Installation in eMMC instead of other systems requires manual work.

Iā€™m not sticking Android anything anywhere near this device!

1 Like

@Spikerguy I think I maybe starting to understand what balbes is trying to say. The EMMC install might handle things differently than booting from SD card. When I installed the Ubuntu image to EMMC over USB using the ā€œUSB_Burning_Toolā€ from my laptop I did a COMPLETE wipe ā€œForce Erase Allā€ of all options (Including ā€œErase Bootloaderā€). Then proceeded to write the image ( https://dl.khadas.com/Firmware/VIM2/Ubuntu/EMMC/VIM2_Ubuntu-xfce-bionic_Linux-4.9_arm64_EMMC_V20190604.7z ā€œLatest Availableā€ ) to EMMC and it worked fine. NOTE: with USB Burning Tool, Only Official Khadas authorized images work, as they are checked beforehand. (Like custom built images from Fenix script wonā€™t flash from USB Burning Tool)
Maybe Ubuntuā€™s boot was carrying the load of the SD boot. But what Iā€™m trying to get at, is that, maybe if you build with just the modified uEnv.ini , I can flash it to EMMC and itā€™ll work this time since the firmware will be handling the boot instead of Ubuntu.

I think Balbes might be saying that for unotherized images to get to EMMC they have to use Multi-Boot; But I was using an Authorized image from USB Burning Tool.

Hello, In the interest of the community, I just wanted to offer some possible insight. In my years of experiences with balbes150, he is not pretentious or arrogant. Multiple languages and translators often lack the subtleties in language that can lead to misunderstandings. English is not the first language of many here, including balbes150.
This guy has done as much or more for the Linux on ARM community than almost any I can think of. He volunteers the result of his efforts freely and commits a huge amount of his time to make all of our ARM lives easier and better.
Please understand what may seem like a critical comment, may just be a multi-language induced lack of subtle cues.
Have fun.

2 Likes

Totally agree to this. :+1:

1 Like

I tend to believe that @CyberManifest maybe has managed something simpler than what most of us thought mandatory for external media booting of any OS we want, with just the latest khadas ubuntu flashed into the EMMC of a VIM2 ?

i can see
Manjaro-ARM-minimal-kvim1-19.07.img.xz ā€” Yandex.Disk
i suppose this is the promised fileā€¦ let the fun begin

here is my verdict on my VIM1pro which initial situation was (uboot, kernel and ubuntu):

kvim#version
U-Boot 2015.01 (Oct 30 2018 - 15:53:59)
aarch64-none-elf-gcc (crosstool-NG linaro-1.13.1-4.8-2013.11 - Linaro GCC 2013.10) 4.8.3 20131111 (prerelease)
GNU ld (crosstool-NG linaro-1.13.1-4.8-2013.11 - Linaro GCC 2013.10) 2.23.2.20130610 Linaro 2013.10-4

khadas@Khadas:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS
Release:        18.04
Codename:       bionic
khadas@Khadas:~$ uname -a
Linux Khadas 4.9.40 #2 SMP PREEMPT Tue Oct 30 15:47:54 CST 2018 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

I downloaded this file

flashed it to an usb flash drive, inserted the drive in a socket , and the rebooted the VIM1,
it DID boot and manjaro started !
but it was a manjaro 19.07 with ā€¦

[raxy@raxyManjaro ~]$ uname -a Linux raxyManjaro 4.9.40 #2 SMP PREEMPT Tue Oct 30 15:47:54 CST 2018 aarch64 GNU/Linux [raxy@raxyManjaro ~]$ lsb_release -a LSB Version: n/a Distributor ID: Manjaro-ARM Description: (none) Release: 19.06 Codename: n/a

so I consider it a fail for now,
please upload a manjaro minimal linux image for VIM1 including kernel 5.0.2

thanks

The reason is in your Ubuntu system on eMMC. It prevents you from running external Linux systems normally.

i said i was able to start manjaro successfully from my usb flash drive. the failure i mention is related to the kernel version of the manjaro distro which was supposed to be 5.0.2 and not 4.9.40

I will check this tonight and update it if it is still on 4.9 but as far as I know I used 5.0.2 with Lima support still will cross check again.

No, this is not an error of the image of Manjaro, it as the core 5.0.2. This is a bug of Ubuntu system which is recorded in your eMMC. It incorrectly formed labels and u-boot has an error that leads to this result. Read the topic about Armbian, there is evidence of this problem.

if you donā€™t mind, please share instructions on how to build the minimal distro from mainline 5.0.2 (or better, 5.2!)kernel source code

if my ubuntu and uboot have too many bugs, how to replace them, in the emmc, with correctly debugged versions ?

for now, all those bugs still enable manjaro to boot from usb !