Manjaro Linux - KDE-Plasma & XFCE for VIM1

This is an Ubuntu firmware error for eMMC. There is no multi-boot. Start Ubuntu in eMMC, change the root partition label from “ROOTFS” to any other. Fix the “fstab” file (change the label to mount the root partition). And you will not run anything from external media.

In fact, you start the system (kernel) with eMMC , and then the root partition is remounted to external media.

ok, so let’s wait for @numbqq to fix fenix tool and get debugged uboot and emmc ubuntu from fenix

i understand my uboot started the kernel 4.9 which was on my emmc, then manjaro on the usb drive started on top of that 4.9 kernel, so whatever kernel is on th external usb (or sd drive), it is never used, am I right ?

I checked the build its 5.0.2 in all the images. Confirmed.

i am afraid at least your minimal img does not use the kernel 5 yout put in it when booted from 2015 uboot in emmc

Maybe its coz of the ubuntu on emmc.

Can you please compare the ubuntu kernel i hope you will see exact kernel which means the kernel loaded is from emmc

which kernel do yo want me to compare with which other kernel?

Ubuntu kernel with manjaro kernel.

You will find both kernel to be similar coz both are being booted from emmc kernel. This is what i understood from balbes’s explanation

yes, uname -a gives identical output in ubuntu 18 emmc and manjaro 19 usb

That means its booting from Emmc kernel only.

…and this is a fail.

Yes so far but that doesn’t mean it won’t be solved.

Khadas team should be able to update the uboot image or you can flash Android

i want no android on my emmc. nick is working on fixing fenix to build emmc flashable mainline linux kernel

Yes
u-boot->kernel 4.9 (eMMC) → uInitrd (eMMC) → mount ROOTFS in USB\SD (if not USB\SD mount ROOTFS in eMMC)

There is no multi-boot in official Ubuntu images for eMMC. So you can’t run an external system. You can add your own variables to ENV u-boot via the UART console. Or run the script (you need to build it yourself) in u-boot, which will add the necessary variables to activate multiload. And be sure to change the label and mount settings of the root in the eMMC.

3 Likes

You can find at How to use linux kernel I compiled? that we can boot kernel 5.2.1 + Arch 19 from uboot 2015 (+ubuntu) in EMMC and an SD card including the apropriate boot.ini and distro

I already have the image with linux 5.2.0 but I am still not satisfied with the kernel, as what was informed to me the DRM is there but a very small difference can be seen in the graphic performance.

Also internet needs some manual resolv conf commands, Wi-Fi firmware failed to work after manual installation.

So after all the above issue, I need to do more testing before publishing it.

Ps. I am following that thread also :wink:.

Updated Images for Linux 5.2 with DRM and Lima with Manjaro 19.07

1 Like

did you check if audio works thru hdmi on your non gui variants ?

Not on Non-GUI. But I have checked it on GUI DE like KDE and LXQT Audio over HDMI works fine.
Non GUI One dont have Alsa and Pulse tools. maybe you can install it manually and it should work.

i’ll do the test soon…
is it right that alsa is built into kernel and i ust have to pacman alsa-utils and pulseaudio ?

is it ok like to flash it like this ? :
zcat “Manjaro-ARM-minimal-kvim1-19.07.img (2).xz” | sudo dd bs=8M of=/dev/sd status=progress

edit: finally this worked:
xz -dc ‘Manjaro-ARM-minimal-kvim1-19.07.img (2).xz’ | sudo dd bs=8M of=/dev/sdX status=progress