Manjaro Linux - KDE-Plasma & XFCE for VIM1

The files I think I need are:

BCM4359C0.hcd
fw_bcm4359c0_ag_apsta.bin
fw_bcm4359c0_ag.bin
nvram_ap6398s.txt EDIT: nvram_ap6359sa.txt

and all are in /usr/lib/firmware/brcm already, except nvram_ap6398s.txt
I also downloaded all these files from the internet from various places, but like I said, they ere already in /usr/lib/firmware/brcm except that one

I don’t really know what to do with them but I was told on IRC that is most likely what I needed. I don’t know how to initialize the proper driver though and/or if I have to blacklist the others (or if so even how).

EDIT: That doesn’t seem right, I think I need: brcmfmac_sdio-firmware-aml/firmware/brcm/nvram_ap6359sa.txt at master · kszaq/brcmfmac_sdio-firmware-aml · GitHub instead of the other nvram .txt file

But then where does it go?

EDIT: nvram_ap6359sa.txt is already in /usr/lib/firmware/brcm

Not in AUR:
[rkm@Khadas ~]$ yay -Ss brcmfmac_sdio-firmware-aml
[rkm@Khadas ~]$ yay -Ss brcmfmac
aur/gpd-pocket-support-bcm4356-git 0.2.5-2 (+0 0.00%)
Provides an additionally needed firmware file brcmfmac4356-pcie.txt for the Broadcom BCM4356 WiFi in the GPD Pocket. (If you have ‘gpd-pocket-support’ installed you already have this.)
aur/systemd-brcmfmac-git 0.1-1 (+2 0.00%)
Disable the brcmfmac module on shutdown
[rkm@Khadas ~]$

Can I propose we change the topic and category of this Thread to include the VIM2 since we know it works too / as well ? Since I can personally confirm / Verify, although this is on the older v1.2 of the VIM2

No the name should be: meson-gxm-khadas-vim2.dtb
NOT: meson-gxl-vim2x-khadas-vim.dtb

right?

I just tested / tried, and it DID NOT WORK, after some errors, it defaulted booting to my EMMC install.

has anyone tested to boot from usb drive while having ubuntu as the single os installed on emmc ?

@ravelo
I’ve booted to SD Card with Ubuntu being single install on EMMC, never tried USB though since I usually use the ports for mouse and keyboard.

Do not use this instruction, it contains not correct steps for modern kernels.

It’s the only method that works for me with Manjaro-Arm

You are wrong, he basically can not work properly. Copying a dtb file is not used in modern systems. I suspect you have a very outdated and incorrect version of multi-boot. Update the multi-boot and then you can normally run any external system from any media (SD or USB flash drive).

Importantly. If you use the old multi-boot system, when you try to install any system in eMMC, you will get a brick. Which then have to restore.

Please advice me on how to make img for kvim2?

Should I rebuilt ur package with uEnv.ini directing it to the kvim2 dtb?

Will this be a proper method? Or do you have kvim2 PKGBUILD which I can use?

How can I be wrong about what I experience? And how am I supposed to update multi-boot, without instructions. Also I don’t use multi-boot I have Ubuntu only on EMMC. And how can you PRETENTIOUSLY, ARROGANTLY, AND PRESUMPTUOUSLY ASSUME, I have a very outdated and incorrect version of anything? I only used what Khadas officially supplied in latest image builds that were available. Dated June 04 2019.

Balbes must be right, what you flashed is the os which is not where multi boot script is kept.
But as it is working for you means its a workaround.

Well be patient till balbes advice us with the right way to make img for kvim2 to i will update it for you.

No need to make a separate vim2 image. Enough after capture the image properly configure the DTB to the file (uEnv.ini), you have already written about it. By the way, this image can be run on any device with activated universal multi-boot, for which there is a DTB as part of the image (just as one Armbian image is run on all devices). :slight_smile:

1 Like

Will the image also update my supposed multi-boot then?

Ok i will compile a new package with updated uEnv.ini and check if it works.

Did you remove the dtb that u copied in the boot directory?

Just keep the dtb inside dtb directory and uEnv.ini directing to the dtb file for kvim2

No. I think that’s kept separately

You can think whatever you want, but the objective reality is that without a multi-boot, you will not be able to run any system from an external medium.

No, I just modified the uEnv.ini just as you instructed. On a brand new download of image so dtb wasn’t in boot

Can you advice which is the correct dtb for kvim2?

meson-gxm-khadas-vim2.dtb