Manjaro Linux - KDE-Plasma & XFCE for VIM1

if failed while saying…

Packages (1) kvim2-firmware-2020.05-1

Total Download Size: 0.52 MiB
Total Installed Size: 1.07 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]
:: Retrieving packages…
kvim2-firmware-2020.05-1-aarch64 529.5 KiB 602 KiB/s 00:01 [#####################################] 100%
(1/1) checking keys in keyring [#####################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity [#####################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files [#####################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts [#####################################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
kvim2-firmware: /usr/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.bin exists in filesystem (owned by linux-firmware)
kvim2-firmware: /usr/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4356-sdio.bin exists in filesystem (owned by linux-firmware)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

thks man! it says less than 60°C when idling, I do not want to decode any video for now

sudo pacman -S kvim2-firmware --overwrite "*"

I will update this packages, thanks.

Looks like you don’t have heatsink.
You can do sudo pacman -S htop and check which process is running from htop

I have no heatsink, I said it. kvim2 pkg forced reinstall succeeded, I gonna reboot and report after reboot…

ok, wlan0 now listed, how to connect to an AP now ?

in XFCE you should be able to see the network icon on bottom right, click on it and you will see the wifi connections around you.
Try to connect to the ap you want.

Here we go !!
some ssids are listed but not mine, and it uses channel 13…

Conclusions so far: this distro cannot see nor connect wifi 2.4GHZ channels above 12. This is probably due to its ap6255 WiFi driver files having bugs. The files come from the linux-firmware packages, and after 03aug updates of this package (thank you manjaro rolling updates!), the issue is, alas, still present today :disappointed_relieved::persevere:

I need to try to put some piece of metal on that hot SOC…
OK, I have a heatsink glueded on now.
What I can also report is that the whole desktop GUI image is jiggling randowly (for around 5mm) along the horizontal (y) axis; how can I do some screen shot to also show you image imperfections on some text and on some window scroll bars ?

1 Like

Regarding my jiggling display, I’m glad to report that a change of display panel did fix it;
I previously used this one https://www.amazon.com/1303i-Touchscreen-Portable-Monitor-MiniDisplay/dp/B00XK5A502 and now I use this one https://www.amazon.com/VSDISPLAY-Screen-1920X1080-N116HSE-Controller/dp/B07SL3YSCH and image is dead stable (normal stable in fact)

And regarding screenshots, I figured out, thanks!

By the way,
Hi, how is your plan of releasing a kresq image going @Spikerguy ?

2 Likes

Good to hear.

What is the purpose of kresq image as we might also release emmc image which can be booted from sd card and it will basically flash a working image to emmc which is similar to flashing through kresq.

I am planning to release Vim1 with Mainline uboot so it can boot over sd and emmc.
I can submit the image to @hyphop and he can make a kresq image for it. We will have releasing 20.08 by 15th of this month hoepfully.

2 Likes

Advantage of kresq is : be able to flash emmc directly from the cloud, and / or flash emmc just with dd from a bash command line on hyphop’s tiny openwrt-17 booted from an SD.
Good to know you will release something mid august, I will install it again for sure, tks for your efforts

2 Likes

Hi @Spikerguy
Is this the link for the mid august image for vim1 xcfe ?
https://osdn.net/projects/manjaro-arm/storage/vim1/xfce/20.04/Manjaro-ARM-xfce-vim1-20.04.img.xz/
How does it compare to the 20.08 link you posted before ? Tks.

Current image will be Vim1 20.08 which will be with mainline uboot.

It should be uploaded tonight or max tomorrow.
Yes it is uploaded here

Only difference is the mainline uboot and 5.7.8 kernel.
So users can either boot from sd card or just dd flash it to emmc and it will work just fine.
Thanks for asking.

2 Likes

I still do not fully understand how exactly to have video streams (mpeg2 , mpeg4 and h264) decoded by the mali450 only,
Seen the fresh link, gonna delay my bedtime for tonight…

Currently it is still not ready yet, It is still at WIP stage, I see VPU drivers are present in the kernel but there seem to be no Userspace library to make use of it, like ffmpeg with the right support for mali450 also the userspace apps might need to be recompiled with the required support.

I hope video decoding on arm will become common at least by the end of this year.

OK. It seems that I need to boot some other Linux from SD , download the image to that support, and end up with a dd command to refresh my emmc content, am i right ? Or I might try to find the single command to flash the emmc from your link in a single pass!

I dont understand what you trying to ask.

If it is about the 20.08 image then just flash it on sd card using etcher or run something over sd to flash the image to emmc.

Id suggest testing it on sd card first before you plan to flash it on emmc

you said: just dd flash it to emmc, so that was my plan, in a single step with wget | zcat | dd

1 Like

Wget | xzcat | dd && sync

Sync is very important.

Good luck.