Manjaro Linux - KDE-Plasma & XFCE for VIM1

The broadcom firmware for VIM1 is a problem because the module uses the wrong hardware ID and this results in the kernel loading the correct firmware for the ID, which is the wrong firmware for the VIM1 board. Khadas has a hack in their kernels to load the correct firmware, but if a distro wants to support other devices that correctly use the same ID (we found an Allwinner board that uses the same chip) some userspace tweaking is required. LE uses a systemd service to symlink the correct firmware on boot based on device-tree compatible marking.

Service: https://github.com/LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv/blob/master/packages/linux-firmware/brcmfmac_sdio-firmware/system.d/brcmfmac-firmware.service

Script: https://github.com/LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv/blob/master/packages/linux-firmware/brcmfmac_sdio-firmware/scripts/brcmfmac-firmware-setup.

Firmware (renamed to match the card ID): https://github.com/LibreELEC/brcmfmac_sdio-firmware/blob/master/BCM43430A1.vim <= rename to .bin

4 Likes

It was late when I wrote that ^ … and the ID issue is with the BT firmware not WiFi. You’ll find the WiFi firmware that you need in the same LE repo.

1 Like

PULSEAUDIO not works ==> solution is very easy

problem just user permissions :wink:
audio device have audio group
pulseaudio start from unprivileged user and need same audio perms

SOLUTION

just add your user to AUDIO group on setup stage
or at any time

sudo usermod -a -G audio $LOGNAME
pkill pulse
paplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

HOWTO check

id | grep -o audio || echo $LOGNAME not in audio group
pactl list cards | grep alsa 

Name: alsa_card.platform-sound
	Driver: module-alsa-card.c
		alsa.card = "0"
		alsa.card_name = "AMLGX"
		alsa.long_card_name = "AMLGX"

ANOTHER way just change audio dev mod

chmod 0777 -R /dev/snd - add this command to startup

or change default udev rules to MODE=“0777” for audio dev

cat /lib/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules | grep audio -A1
SUBSYSTEM=="sound", GROUP="audio", \
  OPTIONS+="static_node=snd/seq", OPTIONS+="static_node=snd/timer", MODE="0777"
3 Likes

Thank you all for help, i’ll check it out later.

I didn’t have sound at first, don’t know why, as i know the problem is only on vim3.

About Android, i really don’t know which pie version i’m using, i thought this was the latest one, obviously i didn’t flash it on vim1.

I will flash manjaro xfce, but probably in the next few days, i won’t be flashing it today.

Kernel updated to 5.6.0-rc4 - Vim1, Vim2 and Vim3
It is uploaded to unstable.
Users on stable repo can update to latest kernel by switching to unstable

Step to switch to unstable

• sudo pacman-mirrors -b unstable

Step to update kernel

• sudo pacman -S linux-vim

Added audio to default group in later releases.

1 Like

Is the green screen issue fixed?

Green screen issue is from the uboot so if someone can share the uboot which can be used on sd and emmc then we can get it fixed but the issue is most AML devices users are using Multi-boot method which makes it a bit complex for solving compatibility issue with emmc uboot and newer kernel on sdcard.

Are you using Android on eMMC ? If you dont have any use of Android then you can solve green screen issue by flashing Manjaro eMMC img from krescue.

Hope this will help you.

@Spikerguy, i was referring to your conversation with @hyphop in posts 292-293, with him mentioning script that resolves green screen issue?

check this test image via Krescue

Kodi package - only for Vim3 with GLES.
It is uploaded to the Manjaro Repo. This kodi build needs GLES support, so I am not sure if it will work with vim1 but it works fine with vim3 and it only plays with software decoding. There was no screen tearing or lag but the cpu load was almost full so make sure you have active cooling when watching a full movie.

How to install
For users on Stable branch
Step 1: sudo pacman-mirrors -b unstable
Step 2: sudo pacman -Syy kodi

Users on unstable branch can skip Step 1.

PS: It should work very smoothly on vim2 when you run os with panfrost as kodi is hw acc while video playback is software acc. Have tested it on panfrost device with almost the same specs as vim2. As I dont have a vim2 device I cannot confirm anything.
Please try and report back.
Thanks.

Kodi on ARM devices is always a GLES app. The important thing is the GLES source; Kodi must be compiled against either ARM blobs (works on VIM1/VIM3/VIM3L) or Mesa (works on VIM1/VIM2). You cannot compile Kodi with support for both, so until Panfrost evolves support for Bifrost a unified/single Kodi version is not possible.

Manjaro has package management which means you could distribute two versions of Kodi (blob and mesa) with respective driver package dependencies. Mesa depends on lima/panfrost and Blob needs at least two mali_kbase variants; because utgard needs a different mali_kbase to midgard/bifrost.

LE does not have package management, which is why we currently need to ship two different images for GX and G12/SM1 hardware.

3 Likes

Khadas devices will have official support in Manjaro.
Khadas Vim1, Vim2, Vim3 and Edge-V.
Latest release here.

Khadas images uploading soon.

Update I was able to get everything to work on edge-v-pro, vim3-pro, vim2-pro.
In vim1-v14 there is ap6212a which doesnt work be the old firmware package I had.

Can someone advice which firmware file is needed? Ive tried the ones mentioned in armbian threads for ap6212a chip.

Thanks.

4 Likes

all wlan-firmwares there!

2 Likes

I think we have the same in linux-firmware package but it doesn’t seem to make use of it.

Is there a need to rename the file for the kernel to make use of it ?

u can try this variant which works on openwrt - same mainline kernel (used same blobs from fenix)

lrwxrwxrwx 1 master master     17 Oct 10 22:34 brcmfmac43430-sdio.bin -> fw_bcm43438a1.bin
-rw-rw-r-- 1 master master   1003 Jul 17  2019 brcmfmac43430-sdio.txt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 master master     20 Oct 10 22:34 brcmfmac43455-sdio.bin -> fw_bcm43455c0_ag.bin
-rw-rw-r-- 1 master master   1644 Jul 17  2019 brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt
-rw-rw-r-- 1 master master 526383 Sep 17  2019 brcmfmac4356-sdio.bin
-rw-rw-r-- 1 master master   2844 Jul 10  2019 brcmfmac4356-sdio.txt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 master master     19 Oct 10 22:34 brcmfmac4359-sdio.bin -> fw_bcm4359c0_ag.bin
lrwxrwxrwx 1 master master     21 Oct 10 22:34 brcmfmac4359-sdio.khadas,vim2.txt -> brcmfmac4359-sdio.txt
lrwxrwxrwx 1 master master     18 Oct 10 22:34 brcmfmac4359-sdio.txt -> nvram_ap6359sa.txt
-rw-rw-r-- 1 master master    184 Jul 17  2019 config.txt
-rw-rw-r-- 1 master master 374608 Oct  2  2019 fw_bcm43438a1.bin
-rw-rw-r-- 1 master master 483181 Oct  2  2019 fw_bcm43455c0_ag.bin
-rw-rw-r-- 1 master master 595758 Jul 17  2019 fw_bcm4359c0_ag.bin
-rw-rw-r-- 1 master master   1003 Jul 17  2019 nvram_ap6212a.txt
-rw-rw-r-- 1 master master    956 Jul 17  2019 nvram_ap6212.txt
-rw-rw-r-- 1 master master   1644 Jul 17  2019 nvram_ap6255.txt
-rw-rw-r-- 1 master master   2844 Jul 17  2019 nvram_ap6356.txt
-rw-rw-r-- 1 master master   5861 Jul 17  2019 nvram_ap6359sa.txt
-rw-rw-r-- 1 master master   5861 Aug 27  2019 nvram_ap6398s.txt

https://github.com/LibreELEC/brcmfmac_sdio-firmware has my collection.

1 Like

I used Etcher to flash Manjaro-ARM-kde-plasma-vim3-20.04.img.xz to the SD card, but it did not start.

Which device did you use? That image is for vim3.

Also did you advice multiboot?

1 Like

I use VIM3PRO.
EMMC installed SC_VIM3_DEBUG_NORMAL-v5.0-20200210.IMG.
I am a noob and have no Linux experience.

try “krescue” there are these images,the truth is already without android :slightly_smiling_face:

for Linux, it is better to use usb3.0, nvme drives