Manjaro Linux - KDE-Plasma & XFCE for VIM1

I would like to have SSH over usb on this ROM. Is that possible ? how do I do it ?

Audio will work only after you uninstall pulseaudio using

sudo pacman -R pulseaudio

Reboot.

Detailed description would be helpful. In Rolling release you are always up-to-date with the latest releases and you don’t have to reinstall the whole OS to move to a new release.

We have Vim1 Img also but let me create a new one with the updated boot and root partitions. Also will test our install script to install OS in eMMC and publish it hopepfully tonight or on the weekend.

I have never tried this method. Mostly tried ssh over lan or wifi. Maybe someone from Khadas team can advice us on SSH over USB.

2 Likes

@Spikerguy your help is greatly appreciated, i’ll try to google when i need help, but as far as i could see yesterday, manjaro forum is also friendly for newbies.

1 Like

Yes it is. You’re always welcome.

@Spikerguy, green screen with kernel 5.5.0.?

Yes if you use Latest Android as it is using the New u-boot which causes green screen. Easiest Solutions is to flash Android_Pie_v1908 if you don’t really use android.

@Spikerguy, i was hoping u-boot can be changed, wooow that amlogic really messed things up.

Yes they have, Even we’re waiting for a permanent fix. But current I recommend users to move back to that android version and with the emmc installer we will use the old BSP uboot-2015 which is quite stable.

1 Like

@Spikerguy, another question, will i get green screen if i flash it on vim1 too?

Latest version of manjaro was very slow, kernel 5.3 was very responsive on Vim3, is it possible to change some settings to make it faster, i believe it could be because it’s using panfrost by default?

About screen resolution, i could only set 3 resolutions, but 1920x1080 wasn’t on the list, that probably isn’t yet supported on mainline kernel?

Yes if you are using the newer uboot for vim1.

Which version are you talking about ? KDE or XFCE ? I think XFCE will work better and Yes I think KDE was with qt5-es which is gles version of QT5 base.
Please run this command which will replace it back to normal qt5
sudo pacman -S qt5-base qt5-declarative qt5-multimedia
This will prompt you to remove qt5-es-base qt5-es-declarative qt5-es-multimedia so press Y and then reboot you will have smoother UI with this.

Also it will be slow if you’re running of external media.

Yes with ARM devices we normally use Scaling instead of Changing screen resolution. But I have experienced that after installing on eMMC I have many resolution options, IDK how many works though.
What I do is to keep the resolution to 1920x1080 and in display scaling I increase it to something like 1.2 or 1.4 depending on how big UI looks. You can try this and reboot then see the result.
Hope this helps.

1 Like

OK! i have run Manjaro today from emmc ! tested on VIM3 - looks like works :wink:

• rewrited fixed uboots script
  • removed some trash from boot
  • prepared mainline uboot

i will check it for VIM1 VIM2 VIM3L tomorrow and will prepare krescue image

3 Likes

Which one did you use? The kde one or the xfce?
Kde img wont work on vim1 as it doesn’t support xwin on lima. Ill prepare a kde wayland image n try it with lima.

For lima device like vim1 and 2 either you need fbturbo package or lima with Wayland.

@hyphop dont make krescue img yet. Let me get vim1 and 3 img with fbturbo instead of lima n panfrost so one img will work on vim1 2 and 3 with the correct dtb in uEnv. And it will be more stable for normal users. Also the img i shared are on unstable branch of our repo. So please wait till i share the img with stable branch

Please share the boot scripts which you think is the cleaned version so i can update our boot package accordingly.

Also how were you able to get mainline uboot. If you can share the script or share the binary we can just reuse it if that’s ok with you. Is the green color issue resolved if we use mainline uboot?

1 Like

YES ! resolved - i will share …

Please share the boot scripts which you think is the cleaned version so i can update our boot package accordingly.

sure i will share whole project for u

dont make krescue img yet. Let me get vim1 and 3 img with fbturbo instead of lima n panfrost so one img will work on vim1 2 and 3 with the correct dtb in uEnv. And it will be more stable for normal users. Also the img i shared are on unstable branch of our repo. So please wait till i share the img with stable branch

dont worry we can mark it as test beta vesion :wink:

Kde img wont work on vim1 as it doesn’t support xwin on lima. Ill prepare a kde wayland image n try it with lima.

OK!

2 Likes

Please share the all the boot scripts needed for multi-boot.

I have updated Vim1 and Vim3 images for KDE-Plasma and XFCE.
I can make Vim2 image but only if someone can test and verify if it works.
Uploaded Img’s here.
https://yadi.sk/d/rYzimbOHPxI36w

Please let me know how it goes.
Thanks.

1 Like

i will test it today on VIM2 too

i have test previous image for VIM3 VIM3L its works

Does this work on the same kernel with just a different dtb?

Also is there a fix that we can use for the Green Color Issue?

@hyphop Updating Vim2 Img for you to try. Please try and let me know if it works out of the box without any changes to it.

@Spikerguy great to hear that green screen issue can be fixed, @hyphop can you share this vim3 emmc image, do i need to run krescue to use it?

tomorrow ! i will share Manjaro kresq images

2 Likes

@Spikerguy, i have tried Manjaro kde kernel 5.5 on Vim1, good news that i don’t have green screen on it.

Sound works when i uninstall pulseaudio, but i don’t have wifi, is there a solution for it?

It’s installed on sd card, it works ok, but maybe it’s better to run xfce on it, i did uncheck enable compositor on startup, i think it works faster now.

This means you have old Android version on ur emmc which is a good thing for Mainline kernel.

Yes a specific firmware file is needed for wifi. Let me find it for you. I had a pkg for it.

On vim1 audio works out of the box. No need to uninstall pulseaudio. Pulseaudio conflict is only for vim3.

For vim1 try xfce but make sure you have a fast sdcard/usb. Or if you want then you can flash it on emmc. That is wip for now.

1 Like