Manjaro Linux - KDE-Plasma & XFCE for VIM1

I tried SAMSUNG USB 3.1 64GB and SAMSUNG 128GB SD CARD, and they didn’t start.
I haven’t used krescue and it looks a bit complicated.

since you already have androyd, first insert the disk, then hold the power button on Khadas and only after that energize Khadas while holding the power button, so you have to boot to the external drive

coreelec, ubuntu can be started in this way, but MANJARO cannot.

I’m sorry, I understand you, I hope they will tell you! have a nice day!:slightly_smiling_face:

To run Manjaro from SD Card you need to have Android on eMMC with multiboot enabled. The above OS comes with uboot pre-installed while we don’t use uboot on external media boot.

I plan to have uboot but it is under testing phase.

3 Likes

it looks a bit complicated.
I can only wait for the new version.

if you go into uboot, erase the emmc, and reset, is manjaro able to boot from sd card ?

No it will not be able to boot. This is something to do with amlogic boot methods I guess. While you can boot Manjaro from sd card with blank emmc on edge-v.

why VIM2 VIM3L missed ? VIM1 and VIM3 only !

i think vim1 vim2 - can use one image
vim3 vim3l - can use same one image

I am working on vim2 but I didn’t like its performance even with octa core which means I need to find thr right balance. Also I have not been able to make use of Panfrost on vim2 at all while edge-v runs smoothly with Panfrost but still its not optimized like we did for pinebook pro.
Please wait for vim2 i want to give a good working image to users.

We maintain every device with a different boot package which helps in future upgrade without the need to flashing the system all over again. So single image for multiple device is possible but not practical for rolling release distro like arch and Manjaro.

Also I dont have Vim3l to test so making an image of it will not having everything working out of the box.

Thank you for your recommendation, but rolling release distro work differently.

i think its easy to make one universal boot package for all vim devices - if u talk about u-boot - just package must have all u-boot images for all vims 1 2 3 3L , and script can write proper u-boot by boad_id name for each devices

on my linux pc, i never had issue with dd to burn images to sd or usb and boot from there
VidMate Shareit pc

I’ve got Ubuntu_XFCE installed in EMMC. When I plug in TF card with Manjaro, it won’t let me boot from SD card at all, but DIRECTLY boot into EMMC’s Ubuntu_XFCE.

How can I boot from Manjaro on TF card, with the parallelly installed EMMC’s Ubuntu_XFCE?

I am not sure if ubuntu uboot have multiboot capabilities. You can try enabling multiboot and if it works then there is multiboot.

Afaik there was only android with multiboot. Someone from the khadas team and answer this.

1 Like

Ubuntu has the same capabilities as Android.

1 Like

Great… But, how to boot from SD/TF card, instead of EMMC’s Ubuntu???

Did you try enabling multiboot?
Insert the sd card with manjaro in it and enable multiboot. Then it should boot from sd card.

Spikerguy… you are right…

Keys Mode (U-Boot is Running Normally) on page Boot Into Upgrade Mode is just the same as Multi-boot.

I’m able to boot into Manjaro now… Finally…

I think the documentation is confusing. Please clearly separate Multi-boot from Upgrade Mode, although both refer to the same thing: boot from SD USB.

Now, I know the reason… It really has something to do with the power cable.

After removing both USB cables for keyboard and mouse, I’m able to boot into Manjaro. However, when I plug the cables back in, VIM3 starts rebooting…

Hmmm… maybe never version, Khadas should ship a standard power adaptor with the board together ??

Anyway… Not playing with Manjaro for now, until I get a stable TypeC cable with a better power adaptor.

Cheers

You need to use the type C PD adapter to supply the power for VIM3.