Manjaro Linux - KDE-Plasma & XFCE for VIM1

Yes let me share the screenshot to you. I am updating my vim1 now to check where causing sound issue.

I am using the forum from Vim1 itself.
Step 1: Press F6 - You will see a list like this.
Select GLX

Step 2:

Go to extreme right and you will see the last 3 settings
Make sure it is set accordingly.

• Disable
  • I2S
  • SPDIF
1 Like

I usually google when i have some issue, i always check can i solve something by myself, before posting anything on the forums.

But last few days i wanted to solve some issues, install some new stuff on vim, and i couldn’t do that because i was missing some dependencies that weren’t available in the repos, so i googled and didn’t find anything useful on the internet, and i was completely dissappointed, this was all on Focal, not Manjaro, and in the end i gave up.

Windows are very easy to learn, Linux is ok if everything works out of the box, but Linux on arm is a struggle.

Yes it is still under heavy development.
Thanks for trying.
What are the issues you’re facing now?
Maybe I can try and help you. For wifi I will have to do some more research and get you the firmware.

UPDATE: After updating all the latest packages, asound.state config is lost so user will have to set it again.

Steps

• Go to extreme right and change AIU HDMI from Disabled to I2S
  • Press Esc to go back.
  • Run sudo alsactl store this will store your changes.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

1 Like

Sound works again, thanks!

Wifi is first, chromium in docker struggling is second, i am not sure if ethernet is fast as it should be, browsing on Ubuntu is faster, i will try to download something to see how fast it will go?

Besides that, i didn’t notice anything else, but i didn’t use it much, so will report if any new issues appear.

One last question, your sound card in alsa is gxl-s905x-p212, and my is gxhdmi, why is that?

Forgot to tell you, a lot of errors appear in terminal when running chromium.

Maybe coz of the Version difference. No Idea, Someone from khadas team can advice.

Yes there will always be some errors. I am installing Chromium-docker on fresh install with latest package, I will test it myself and get back to you.

hi how did u manage to run manjaro from SD ? mine seems not to boot from SD or evn recognize there is a bootable media inserted

it only boots to android from emmc which i have instaled on my vim

You will have to enable multiboot mode by entering into upgrade mode with sd card inserted.
Explained here How To Boot Into Upgrade Mode

1 Like

Keys Mode (U-Boot is Running)

1. Power on VIM1.
  2. Long press the Power key without releasing it.
  3. Short press the ‘Reset’ key and release it.
  4. Count to 10 seconds and release the ‘Power’ key to enter into upgrade mode

this?
i already did this, it only takes me to Android Recovery mode
i usually do this when krescue, but for manjaro dont work it just takes me to Android Recvoery mode

Are you using Vim1 or Vim3? Also I suspect that you’re using wrong image.

Please reply only in one thread as per the device you’re using.

Thank You.

VIM3 Pro
wrong image ?
i use this
https://manjaro.org/download/#khadas-vim-3-kde-plasma

EDIT: oh ok will use VIM3 forum

Coz I was on Kernel 5.6 while you were already on 5.7

I have packaged the wifi firmwares for Vim1. It will be available for you to install from the official repo.

sudo pacman -Syy kvim1-firmware kvim2-firmware
sudo reboot now

kvim-firmware for Ap6212 and kvim2-firmware for Ap6255 and Ap6256

I have just uploaded the package so it might take 15 - 30 mins to sync to all the mirrors.

Enjoy :smiley:

2 Likes

@Spikerguy, did you check chromium performance?

Do you mean chromium-docker ? or chromium-aarch64 ?
I will try again tonight with Vim1 and record a short video.

Chromium docker of course.

1 Like

Do you have heatsink and fan?
I tested and it lags when there is no heatsink and fan.

Then I installed heatsink and fan so now when I play netflix it is using full cpu initially then around 70% cpu load.

I am currently watching an episode on vim1 and recorded few minutes out of it and will upload it somewhere to share it with you.

Btw resolution was fluctuating between 540 - 750p all the time.

Video: https://youtu.be/1A2gO_24g6w

2 Likes

@Spikerguy

I only have heatsink, fan was removed long time ago, it was too noisy, it’s the fan that doesn’t fit in diy case i am using.

I was thinking about making my own case, because i have a fan taken from an old amd cpu, but i didn’t find any good material at home so far.

I did test Ubuntu gnome on wayland(lima) yesterday, chromium aarch64 works on it, so probably the issue with chromium blank window is related to x11 and lima.

@Spikerguy Total Installed Size: 0.46 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity [######################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts [######################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
kvim1-firmware: /usr/lib/firmware/brcm/BCM43438A1.hcd exists in filesystem (owned by Wifi-firmware-linux-5-2)
kvim1-firmware: /usr/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.txt exists in filesystem (owned by Wifi-firmware-linux-5-2)
kvim1-firmware: /usr/lib/firmware/brcm/config.txt exists in filesystem (owned by Wifi-firmware-linux-5-2)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

This is the error when trying to install wifi firmware.

I don’t remember packaging any such firmware but anyways you can overwrite it.

sudo pacman -Syy kvim1-firmware kvim2-firmware --overwrite "*"

4 Likes

@Spikerguy, most of the stuff works like a charm now, i am really pleasantly surprised with your images, this is the most complete image i’ve tried on vim1.

I do have few smaller issues, but i’ll try to googlecheck them tomorrow.

1 Like

Good to hear that, next I will try to get vdec to work and if that happens soon then we will have a complete desktop replacement device yeayy

3 Likes