LCD Mount for Khadas Captain + Edge / Edge-V

another improvement for the captain 1.1 would be a Power over Ethernet integration that way it would have a stable internet connection and act as an alternative source of power without having the barrel jack in front

3 Likes

Changelog:

• Switched to 2mm thick acrylic sheeting
  • Added space for the exhaust manifold
  • Only 3 pieces required for assembly, screen, top cover, bottom tub
  • Bottom tub made via hot-bending and gluing (prototyping phase)

4 Likes

I’ve settled on a glued bottom case, looks good.

Unfortunately unable to attain the required tolerances via hot-bending. :frowning:

3 Likes

very interesting. would you kindly share the details of LCD model and connections, is it usable for VIM1?

1 Like

Been thinking for a while about how to get a hinge made. This could potentially work, now that I’ve got the new option of “glue”. @ufneeme will get back to you regarding the LCD screen, they’re all in a box somewhere…

2 Likes

I’ve fleshed out the hinge-design further. This looks almost ready for prototyping. Just have to check the LCD again, and ensure the FPC cable can go where it needs to. Comments and suggestions are welcome. :slight_smile:

I’m thinking whether the screen acrylic pieces should be composed of 3mm sheets (a little thicker and more durable). @Gouwa prefers the base to be 2mm, as the rear ports of the Edge/Captain were designed with that thickness in mind.

Previously, I never liked those “wings” sticking out at the sides, too breakable. This design tucks everything roughly into the casing footprint, taking into consideration space for airflow. That’s the reason why I don’t tuck the LCD flush against the bottom case - I want some nice space for air to flow about, even when the screen is retracted.

1 Like

For the aesthetically-inclined (and also possibly easier to put into your bag), here’s the version with the screen flush with the bottom case.

I’ve also realised that the touchscreen needs 5.5mm of depth (x2 3mm sheets), when the daughter board is attached. The design is not final, I think we will attempt to make it even thinner.

This design however renders the exhaust manifold useless when the screen is retracted, and air will have to come out through the side-vent.

2 Likes

Or you can just tilt the screen up when the RK3399 is getting hot, or when you need access to the GPIOs.

2 Likes

You can never have too much of that airflow Rule Number 1 and vents

1 Like

Some nice renders to sell the design. :grinning:

2 Likes

@ufneeme only compatible with the Edge, Edge-V or VIM3.

5-inch diagonal, 1080P resolution, 5-point multitouch.

Hello, Any chance we will see a version with a larger screen?

1 Like

Good for us with Gorilla fingers and failing eyesight.

@RDFTKV @Robert what kind of size are you guys looking for? 10inch?

8"+ would be nice. My eyes can deal with Android on a 5", but when using a desktop OS, it can be a challenge.
I have the Gole1, Windows 10, 5" screen, difficult to use as a touchscreen device.

1 Like

10 would be nice, all up to $$ I am guessing
As in Buy price for you guys to make it a worthwhile interest.

2 Likes

Yea I too feel those 5" windows devices will work much better with a small trackpad or track-nipple (whatever its called). For a touchscreen, at least 10 inches in my opinion (unless it’s optimised like android or ios).

6a0120a85dcdae970b0120a86d647f970b-pi

2 Likes

Yes, a 10" would be nice, but as Robert said, price will determine practicality. Maybe an HD res would be somewhat cheaper than a FHD 10" display, if practical.

And yeah, I don’t know what they call those pointer things either.
:rofl:

1 Like

2mm sheets seem surprisingly strong. Well onwards to the next prototype!

4 Likes

Next prototype, added holes everywhere for more ventilation. We shall see if the gluing poses an assembly problem.

1 Like