Captain is on its way through the factory already. Maybe @Gouwa can consider that for Captain v1.1!
regarding the SSD if your referring to the nvme maybe include an adhesive heatsink that attaches to the ssd or a metal back plate for for the case that conducts heat from it.
another improvement for the captain 1.1 would be a Power over Ethernet integration that way it would have a stable internet connection and act as an alternative source of power without having the barrel jack in front
- Switched to 2mm thick acrylic sheeting
- Added space for the exhaust manifold
- Only 3 pieces required for assembly, screen, top cover, bottom tub
- Bottom tub made via hot-bending and gluing (prototyping phase)
SSD Temperature / Resultant Airflow:
- Gets to around 40C-ish in my physical tests.
- Simulation looks about right in my opinion (the case does feel warm in that way).
- Not too sure what to do about it right now, will leave these here to contemplate.
If the case was oriented vertically, the hot air could escape through the port-region. However, assuming it’s used horizontally (as depicted), then it will be a little more challenging.
- Combined air flow with fan + heat from SSD
- Do note that I did not include the SoC as a heat source
- Air currents form beneath the board to transfer heat to the colder end of the board
- With RK3399 SoC at 60C.
- Noted the re-circulation (trapped) hot air beneath the Captain Carrier Board.
- Battery modeled as a solid piece of polycarbonate.
- Assumes perfect thermal contact between SoC and heatsink.
- Heatsink surface temperature plot.
- Hottest point is where the SoC is.
- Aluminium is a good conductor, not much difference in temps.
- Before adding vent holes
- After adding vent holes
- Vent holes have eliminated re-circulation of hot air.
- Side vent holes necessary to break re-circulation pattern.
- Decrease in the size of the “battery hot spot”.
- Simulation assumes that SSD is a static 40C source, and SoC is a static 60C source.
- Adding more holes improves result even further.
- Limit to how many holes I can add, without compromising the acrylic.
Great to see.
More Vents better cooling,
Been saying this for years with those other not so Quality Media players small black boxes no vents.