Krescue - take full control of your VIM device! easy way to install ANY OS! + back/restore your system

Do you have a Windows PC ?
You can go to Create and Format Disk partions and delete all the memory partitions, then do a simple drive format,

No need of special software for it :wink:

Size of file depends on what user data and apps are on the eMMC at the time of backup. Some I have taken from my VIM2-64GB were ~1.2GB, another was ~1.7GB. I extracted one of the resulting files (VIM2.1594645770.62537072640-bytes.emmc.img.zst), it produced a file of 52GB.
So substantial compression is taking place.

Most small(1-4GB) cards are class 4, incredibly slow. Having small cards means the same areas of the card are always written to, this can result in short-lived cards. I recommend using only Class 10 or faster for Krescue, and I would let 16GB be my minimum size, but 8GB will probably do.

Yes, hyphop said the card can be pulled after Krescue is loaded. It may(speculation) require formating and placing Dump and Downloads folders on the extra card. You should try to see if you can insert a different card to store backups. Good idea if it works, could keep all your SBC backups in one place. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Well i tried the SD card pull method but i then have issues with the TV showing video once i plug the HDMI cable back in.

See these SBC boards have tight fitting plug ins and in order to remove the SD card you have to uplug the… well you know the problem

Plugging back in the HDMI i get a searching for video, no video found error on the tv

SO i got my second VIM1 today, now i get to try this Krescu for real. First im gona install all the junk on the new VIM1 then do the dumpie dump and see if i can make a mirror image to the older VIM1

please clarify, did you get another vim1 or changed it?
:slightly_smiling_face:

I got another to fix the first and have more more more!

So i test the dump from eMMC and then write to using the dump image

I dont know how big the image was but i used the 1G SD card which i dont think its even 1 gig

It seems that the Krescue will just comress the file as needed for the space available?

SO now on the Card i have labled Vim1 Kresue i have: Krescue and VIM1 stock rom 316 pie 9 image

If you can find an HDMI cable with a smaller headshell, you can remove/insert card without removing HDMI cable. Also you can get an SD card slot extender as seen here.

Probably has more to do with your VIM’s storage size. What is your VIM’s storage size. Looks like you came in just under the wire.

16GIg, why does it say “unpacked 14.5G”?

On the VIM2 I have 64GB, but as a Krescue backup, it showed as 52GB(or close). Most types of storage do not show there described size. Even with hard disks that happens, same way Windows will usually reflect a smaller size than the stated size of the drive. I saw this explained before, but don’t recall why. It is normal.

That is due to the reason of manufacturers stating:
1 hardware gigabyte:
1GB = 1000000000 bytes
when by actual 1 software gigabyte:
1GB = 1,073,741,824 bytes

1 Software gigabyte is also called a “Gibibytes

wherever they got that name, the must of got that dastard Idea, the scale only grows exponentially,
If you had a “500 GB” SSD you will be actually getting “463 GB” in a computer :confused:

1 Like

That’s it. I knew I had read it somewhere.

Just check the back of any storage disk you bought recently SD cards, Pendrives, Hard drives, they have it in that “tiny little” font…

Yes, the fine print. Fine print is ageist. :laughing:

You can’t even sue them for this stuff because technically 1 giga is 1 billion, they don’t need to give anything more than that…

Well, that, and they have way better lawyers and more of 'em. :rofl:

1 Like

too bad, they should advertise it more clearly, it’s like a scam everywhere I look, I wanted to get my dad a 512 GB personal backup SSD, in reality it was more like 463 GB,

However, In this matter I give a hats off to WD (western digital)
They give a better advertisement rather than 256GB SSD they say it is 240GB,
but in reality it is 236 GB Yes it is not the exact number either but atleast it is advertised closer to the actual capacity… This is how you make customers even more satisfied (Samsung please take notes here …)

What they should do is be sneaky, yes yes sneaky

Put different versions of firmware in Krescue list then on the files link, because some files you cant access threw Krescue and some files you can load from download section and use SD card or USB burn tool

When you fire up Krescue there are links in there to download and install the firmware, maybe have beta versions or something only Krescue users can try hehe!!

300 downloads of yada yada file threw Krescue, 500 downloads of yada yada from files downloads section?

i will try clarify

1. Download folder created for krescue images downloading
  2. other images u can put on root or another folder - ( not necessary put images to download folder )

@hyphop just to clarify…
we can place the backup *.kresq or *.img.gz file in a pendrive or hard disk and do the recovery right ?

lost in translation[quote=“hyphop, post:410, topic:5945”]

• Download folder created for krescue images downloading
  • other images u can put on root or another folder - ( not necessary put images to download folder )
    [/quote]

Lost in translation

If i download all images say VIM1 how big will folder need to be?