Krescue not working or booting

yes, it’s better to exclude such things, I always power from the power supply

Oh I see, I am not sure it is even safe to power the board from a PC, except upgrade mode and doing things like ADB, you can’t do much…

I agree that there is something wrong with the CURRENT krescue image for VIM3L.
I have verified with multiple cards and readers, and AFTER I get past fussy-cards etc, it ALWAYS comes back to a kernel panic/dump. (see attached images, sorry about the quality … let me know if you need better!)

This wouldn’t be a such a problem, I guess, if any of the other instructions for writing to eMMC worked!
eg: the ONLY other image I can do anything with is the EMMC image of Ubuntu, which I can burn via USB_Burn_Tool_V2.2.0 running in a Win7 virtual machine … an AWFUL solution.

My aim is to have a situation where I can use:

1. Access Point
  2. Quectel EM06-A
  3. Kodi
  4. M.2 Storage.

Unfortunately, although I could get the Quectel card to work under (preinstalled) CoreElec, I was unable to convince it to enable the Access Point.
My subsequent theory was that I’d be able to achieve my goal with Ubuntu … but the video playback is unusable.
So, my current attempts revolve around attempting to have Ubuntu (or better, OpenWRT) for routing / file-sharing in the car, and then use CoreElec on SD on location … but I can’t even get close to testing this without krescue working, it seems (even if SD-booting is possible while there’s an operational bootloader on eMMC).

Also note that virtually none of the instructions for clearing eMMC seem to work. I’ve ended up pulling the cord at 15% of the burn as a last result.

Any ideas?

Single-image limit for new users, huh?
Here’s the screen before the dump above

@hyphop can you take a look here, it seems that something is wrong mate…

Are you sure you grabbed the correct version? I see references to the VIM3, yours is VIM3L.
Of course that may be normal. I don’t have the VIM3L to check it.

check vim3 or vim3 L and try another SD card

Just for giggles, I’ve also tried moving/copying meson-sm1-khadas-vim3l.dtb into various directories, in an attempt to get past the FDT_ERR_BADPATH, but none seem to have made a difference.

I DEFINITELY downloaded VIM3L. I even tried downloading from various directories, and they all have matching md5sums (880315ce7bb19edef4bdb51e142e0333), which differs to the VIM3 image (2aefeb953fba4150d36c7e6f1f30931d).

I have DEFINITELY tried various SD cards, both in quality and size.

fwiw: I am not new to this kind of game, having founded the h2200-port of handhelds.org in about 2004-ish, and authored Ramdisk-Rescue … which I suspect none of you will remember!

please check again according to the instructions!
:slightly_smiling_face:

It was not my intention to insinuate anything to the contrary.
When I reply I have no idea of a user’s skill level, I tend to oversimplify by default. :smile:

1 Like

I like it, like that…
:grin:

1 Like

you may take the bragging rights mate, but not everyone is a pro here :sweat_smile:

Me too, and in my case, simplicity meshes well with my actual skill level. :laughing:

No offence taken or meant.

I wasn’t trying to suggest that authoring RamdiskRescue made me an expert, just that I’m obviously familiar with the concept of booting to a root on initrd and the issues involved with SD/flash/etc.

I was simply trying to fast-forward through the usual “you’re obviously new to these concepts, so read this, watch that” answers that have already been posted in this forum many times … like the responses that the OP received.

Getting Ubuntu running on eMMC, and running krescue is not a problem, thanks to the usb burning tool.
However, I’ve not been able to replicate that with krescue off SD, and so far I’ve not found a SINGLE kresq image that results in a successful boot OTHER THAN the Ubuntu image!

eg: this install resulted in the same as the krescue screenshots above, when booting into “TST Mode” (the three quick presses on the function button). I’ve lost track of which video was a normal boot, but it resulted in dropping to command line in the initrd.

I’ll see if I can get back to CoreElec, unless there are better suggestions.

2 Likes

Maybe @hyphop can check the image on the VIM3L for function.

By the way, if you managed to install Krescue, then you can work on the network by issuing commands, since it is already loaded into RAM.
good luck!

No, I haven’t been able to install krescue.
Sorry, I meant that I can run the mega script to install krescue images.

Same issue with CoreElec

** No partition table - mmc 2 **

(There’s no SD card inserted.)

So, what have I done wrong here?

How I got to the above screen: