Khadas Vim3 + CoreElec all work!

opkg stuff is not part of the userspace stuff so is probably borked if the System partition gets corrupted.
Have you managed to get most things back ? Best to stick to official CE upgrades when you do.

Shoog

1 Like

Yes, I kept the old uSD card and restored my mounted config folders for dockers which are running fine. I used opkg only for some extra tools when SSHing into the machine so I don’t really care; now I know better. Thanks a lot for the support.

2 Likes

there are some fixes!

Changelog (20200615)

1 Like

Hi, guys! So far coreelec is working great on my vim 3. However I have a minor gripe with the fan, particularly the temperature levels at which it switches modes on auto. By default they are 50, 60 and 70, but even the first level is obnoxiously loud while watching a movie. The board stays below 60 even when watching 4K HEVC, so I modified the levels hardcoded in the dtb in /flash/dtb to read 60, 70 and 80. However the new levels are not taken into account, as reflected in the device tree in /sys, even after a reboot. How can I enfore my modifications ?

2 Likes

hi, do you have a passive radiator and a thermal pad on the bottom of the metal plate?

I have just such a combination, I don’t even think about the temperature, although I have quite extreme operation, 4K HDR 60 fps are “torrent” online at the highest settings, in fact the processor works almost completely, and no problems!

:point_up::heart_eyes:

1 Like

Hi, I think you might need to rebuild the kernel or something, We had such a request very recently but it was related to Ubuntu linux, and changing the dtb seemed to be enough to do it…

@Vladimir.v.v I don’t have the back thermal pad, only the top heatsink and fan, but even then it’s enough to stay below 60, I just wish I could up those thresholds.

@Electr1 I believe I know why it’s not taken into account. The dtb seems to be shipped by coreelec (/usr/share/bootloader/device_trees/g12b_a311d_khadas_vim3.dtb) and has precedence over the one in the boot partition.

Problem is, this is a read-only squashfs and I can’t modify it… Trying to find out where the fs is stored so I can unpack and modify it.

1 Like

please take your time to tinker with it…

more information can be found in the coreelec community, good luck!

Well, modifying the squashfs didn’t help either. Turns out the file to modify is /flash/dtb.img, which is the actual dtb that is used by coreelec!

Now I can enjoy silence :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good to hear buddy, I hope that, the provided guide was of some help to you :slight_smile:

Now it is in the “off” mode?

@Vladimir.v.v Nope, auto mode but it only kicks in at 60°C so almost never.

1 Like

I understand you, good news!
:slightly_smiling_face:

@alucryd It is always best to have active cooling, and to have your package temperature as low as possible, it helps to increase lifespan…

Even 60°C is quite high, try to keep it less than 50°C, I can guarantee you,
your SBC will last for decades…

If 60 was too high, the thermal throttle threshold would be 60 not 85, I think it will be just fine :wink:

The actual throttling figure is 70C and that places 60C way to close for comfort with little margin for peak loads. The life of silicon is shortened in inverse relationship to its temp.
All of the VIM’s benefit from active cooling.

Shoog

1 Like

Exactly, less wear and tear from thermal stress…

the processor is designed so that if there are thermal sensors, then there can be no problems in principle, I mean for the processor itself, since the sensors will respond to overheating and the processor will simply reduce the frequency, the processor itself will always be in good condition!
So don’t worry about the processor ,guys!
:point_up::slightly_smiling_face:

My S905x3 chipped board with minimal heatsinking would constantly throttle in normal Coreelec use. I added a lazy 4inch fan and now it sits down at 45C and peaks at 55C. To my simple mind, a chip that throttles constantly is inadequately cooled.
We are all able to make our own choices - but for me improving the cooling is mandatory.

Shoog