Khadas VIM OpenWRT

look like we very close to make new openwrt release for VIM3 VIM3L VIM2 pro - with full supported WIFI and other hardware !!! i have test already all boards and all wifi chips (Wifi AP6398S + mainline kernel)

another news - we have testing already OpenWrt 19.07.0-rc2 - https://openwrt.org/releases/19.07/notes-19.07.0-rc2
an wait New Stable Release from Openwrt

6 Likes

OK! we can test openwrt image for all Khadas boards VIM1 VIM2 VIM2pro VIM3 VIM3L (onboard wifi chips supported for all boards)

INFO:

NOTE: plz download and write new krescue system before write any images !!!

1 Like

@hyphop the github repo is 0.5 version ,can you update that repo to the newest version 0.6 ? thaks~

@hyphop and the overlay rom is to small , how to use the remanining space of sd card to install the openwrt application.

ok UPDATED to 0.61

• default openwrt rel update to 19.07.1

check this examples how to build images khadas-openwrt/project at master · hyphop/khadas-openwrt · GitHub

u can build your image with any custom configuration
for example if u need 600M overlay

echo PART2SIZE=600 > scripts/build.conf.user
scripts/build
  1. howto resize overlay size for already writed system => Final release of OpenWrt 19.07.8 for Khadas SBC VIM1 VIM2 VIM3 VIM3L Edge - #37 by hyphop
1 Like

thanks ,i will test for this .

Hi @hyphop,
I have this need:
I want to share internet access (a fast rj45 and gigabit wifi is already there) inside a room where 4g reception is very bad, is it a good idea to use vimx as an always on openwrt server connected over a long usb cable to an 4g dongle ouside, and sharing internet access through 5ghz connection to the existing router ?
Tks in advance

Yes it should be possible and vim1 can do this work easily.
I hope it is just internet access sharing.

From you explanation what I understand.
Isp 4G tower > 4G usb dongle outside your house > vimx > internal switch or wifi ap > rest of the devices on the network.

This should be possible if you can get the 4g dongle drivers and support in the kernel rest is normal networking.

Good luck.

3 Likes

any config for openwrt - not problem :wink: but !!
u must remember maximal usb connection length is about 4-5 meters - but for modem with big power consumption it’s about 1-2 meters only !!!

1 Like

Does using active USB cable help to go to 4-5m anyway with a modem at the end ? I have no idea ho many watt such modem could need…
Other option could be to go thru the wall with longest USB cable possible, and then use poe to supply power to vimx, more complicated and probably more expensive, I having the vim far from reach can make debugging painful,
What about LTE repeater ?

My budget us very limited, so the cheaper the better