Khadas Edge Custom AndroidTV Pie Firmware

I have 4K@60hz working well on Android Pie on RK3399.
But Khadas source code is a bit old especially the kernel, u-boot, hardware/rockchip folders, it needs updating to improve 4K playback.
So I need to test it a bit further to improve it.
When using Kodi also make sure you enable frame-rate switching for smoother playback.

I will try to release a LibreELEC image too for Khadas Edge with 1080p Netflix support, it has very smooth 4K playback.
Last time I tried my image didn’t want to boot but will do more tests.

2 Likes

This version (1.4) is working great my friend and 4K playback is good till now.
Great work and effort.
Keep up the good work.

1 Like

hello
@mo123

I do not understand how to install magisk manager.
video or photos to see the manipulation.
on v1.3 it was simple.
why netflix apk does not work then what is in v1.4.
edge v turns back on after 10 minutes, while I was it.
thank you fred21

Hi

For Netflix, you can use APKPure Store in the firmware to download it(Netflix with red logo and black background). I didn’t include the Netflix app this time.
https://apkpure.com/netflix/com.netflix.mediaclient
The Netflix app included is only to show the banner icon on the homescreen since phone apps only show in the AppDrawer on AndroidTV.

With LibreELEC, you can also play 1080p Netflix and it works well, but I need to find a way to integrate the fan support since software decoding makes the device run a lot hotter. Should be finished in a day or two. I’m also trying to find out from Rockchip if they can make a simple dual-boot so it auto boots LibreELEC so that in LibreELEC you can boot to Android without removing the micro-sd card.

For Magisk Manager it is easy.

1. You can install the latest Magisk Manager
    https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/download/manager-v7.4.0/MagiskManager-v7.4.0.apk

2. Copy the boot.img to a USB drive and connect to the Khadas Edge or download it directly with a web browser(Lightning or Chrome) on the Khadas Edge.
    https://mega.nz/#!RUsGEIia!Y-4l1OJsrOh1-WlsVJJvuy670GzX7GSXVLwgFCEiDmc

3. Use Magisk Manager to patch this boot.img

4. Flash the patched_magisk.img either by PC AndroidTool v2.67 which is complicated or the new easy way I added on the Khadas Edge itself.
    Go to About - Click 7 times on build info to enable Developer Options

Inside Developer Options - Choose Flash image

Then select the patched_magisk.boot.img - Works well if you use MiXplorer interface

Then select boot partition and OK.

In a few seconds it will be flashed and you can restart your device and will have Magisk root.

3 Likes

OK, thanks.

there is no need for props anymore et mecool

1 Like

The prop change is only needed if you are using apps that need a Google Certified device eg. some banking apps or local subscription based streaming apps with strict security requirements that give you are warning message that they can’t run on the device when you open them.

If you just use normal apps or some apps requiring root access then you can just use Magisk normally without the prop change.

Guide for the prop change in Magisk if needed:

1 Like

I’ll work on a big update this weekend.
There are some things I want to improve.
The Play Store also updates to a new layout which currently doesn’t work with the ir remote or any keyboard, which I found a solution for after lots of testing.
When everything is finished, it will work as a great little media centre.

7 Likes

Good effort my friend.
I’ll be waiting anxiously for your new update as your firmware is the best (in my opinion) till now.
Keep up the good work and thank you for your efforts.

2 Likes

New firmware uploaded v1.5.
Hope everyone enjoys it.

Kodi fractional frame-rates works well now.
Android UI is snappy.

It’s now also possible to use SDDiskTool to make a bootable ‘upgrade’ micro-sd card.
Then you can just insert it and boot with it.
It will then update the firmware and later ask you to remove the micro-sd card.

Please check the guide to set up Kodi for HD Audio or frame-rate switching or how to use the RefreshRate app to switch frame-rate in any app manually.

5 Likes

Magisk manager is showing “Magisk not installed”, how can I install magisk?
It is not showing the option for direct install, only showing “download zip” or “select file and patch”

Edit:
I managed to install magisk by patching the boot image and flashing it.

However, I liked the interface of v1.4 more than this one.
How can I change the DPI to the one previously used in v1.4?
Is there a way to add 4K resolution to display settings? the maximum now is 1080P

Thank you for the great efforts.

Hi

I added a separate boot.img file for people to use with Magisk Manager.
After you patch it, Click 7 times on build Info in the About menu then use Developer Options - Flash Image then boot and choose your patched_boot.img and restart.
Here are some pictures

To change the DPI
Go to TvSettings - Device - More Settings to open the white Settings app.
Under Display Options there should be a menu to change the Size with a slider from left to right.
320DPI is required by a lot of Google AndroidTV apps and works better for compatibility.

I will test on a 4K tv, seems there is still some 1080p default boot setting enabled I added when I was still testing the firmware. Will reupload later.

3 Likes

Please check if 4K is working now
https://mega.nz/#!dNUw2AqS!kltV8Jd73tPIXjLN7orPcFYjQEjPj4sIpSmLWCoR8QI

2 Likes

Unfortunately, no it’s not working.
Still the max is 1080P

Are you using a 4K tv with HDMI output or edp or other screen?
Can you try to delete /system/usr/resolution_white.xml and restart?
WIll reflash and test on my 4K tv later today.

1 Like

Yes, I’m using 4K TV with HDMI but no 4K resolution in display settings.
I’ll try your advice later and give you feedback.

1 Like

I deleted resolution_white.xml and rebooted but still no 4K in display resolution

Hi
I went back to v1.4.
for me much better.
without magisk, more fluid responds better to the khadas remote control and the rii8.
thank you

Hello, i have Iffalcon K2a 55 inch android tv. Can i install this firmware. Can you help me how to create boot image in pen drive

And how on earth do you plan to put this firmware on your tv?
This firmware only works on the Khadas Edge-V that uses a Rockchip RK3399 six-core CPU.
Your tv uses a quad-core CPU from a different manufacturer with different components.

4 Likes

So this is the second Firmware ive tried on my Edge-V rig so far and i think the image quality actually looks better with this version then the stock and first one i tried.

So far everything is working

Question: when i add say a bluetooth game controller when i added the PS4 controller i could not get it to do anything with the box, it would pair but it couldnt navigate the box or any games. The Xbox controller would do everything.

Ive had this happen on other boxes and i was wondering why? do the PS4 and Xbox use differnt bluetooth versoins? 4.0 and 5.0?

1 Like