Ethernet connectivity issues with 4.19-rc7

Hi! Recently I finally managed to get Fedora to run on my VIM2. Almost ready to start trying to write some kernel modules for panfrost on it, however I’ve been dealing with some very annoying ethernet issue that have been making this much more difficult. For some reason, it seems that if I try doing anything that transmits a large amount of data (rsyncing a directory over LAN for instance), occasionally the ethernet on the board will plain just stop responding to any RX from the network. What’s weirder though; is that if I go onto a serial console with the board and do something like ping www.google.com, then the board will start responding to RX again but only so long as something on the board itself is initiating TX. Meaning if I ^C out of ping, the connection goes dead again. So far I haven’t found any way to fix this other then rebooting the whole board. Additionally; I don’t see anything out of the ordinary in dmesg when this starts happening.

As a note, there seems to be a rather similar issue that other people had been complaining that appears to have gotten fixed on the Android ROM VIM2_Nougat_V170831 ethernet connectivity, reboot problems . Not sure if this is related or not.

What kernel sources did you use ?

Now I tried to clone my GIT, I didn’t find any problems. The local network is tied to a Gigabit hub. System - last Armbian (kernel 4.19) on SD card, on VIM2 Basic. Write, what check still needs to be made (as from where to download).

Cloning into ‘Amlogic_s905-kernel’…
remote: Enumerating objects: 13, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (13/13), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (8/8), done.
remote: Total 270625 (delta 5), reused 13 (delta 5), pack-reused 270612
Receiving objects: 100% (270625/270625), 327.92 MiB | 3.41 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (180796/180796), done.
Checking out files: 100% (62643/62643), done.

Checked downloading the image size of 600 MB through the browser, everything is downloaded without problems.

Mainline kernel with some patches from chewitt; but none of them were ethernet related patches. xdarklight suggested that I try this:

diff --git a/arch/arm64/boot/dts/amlogic/meson-gxm-khadas-vim2.dts b/arch/arm64/boot/dts/amlogic/meson-gxm-khadas-vim2.dts
index a4d477f1a610..e0c91809d9f9 100644
--- a/arch/arm64/boot/dts/amlogic/meson-gxm-khadas-vim2.dts
+++ b/arch/arm64/boot/dts/amlogic/meson-gxm-khadas-vim2.dts
@@ -305,6 +305,7 @@
                interrupt-parent = <&gpio_intc>;
                /* MAC_INTR on GPIOZ_15 */
                interrupts = <25 IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_LOW>;
+               eee-broken-1000t;
        };
 };

And so far this has fixed my problems completely

2 Likes