Displaying to a VGA monitor through an adapter

Hi all
Does that work for any of you ? Or is there any way to change the video output ?
On my side, it doesn’t with two different monitors : they state that the range is too high, although their specifications go up to 75Hz vertical refresh rate. And I also tried with two different adapters I use for the same purpose on two Rpi3.
If I could get that to work, it would mean we could reuse a bunch of still working monitors and replace the aging boxes with a number of VIMs.
Many thanks in advance

EDIT : more debug details that I should have included in this initial post.
The two different monitors I tried display the following error messages :

• “Out of range”
  • “Frequency is too high”

Hi, kitesurfer:
Yes, it’s possible for VIM for to output with different resolutions, but current release doesn’t support yet. Can you provide below information to us:

• the resolution of your monitors
  • which OS will you used

Thanks!

Hello Gouwa and thanks for your quick reply

So here are the specs I gathered.

As for the monitors, we so have two models :

• the 1st one has a native resolution of 1280*1024 at 75Hz vertical refresh rate and 80Hz horizontal (these are Hyundai IQ17 monitors)
  • the other one has a native resolution of 1440*900 at 75Hz vertical refresh rate and 80Hz horizontal (these are Asus VW192S monitors)

The two HDMI to VGA adapters I tried are specified to output up to 1920*1080 at 60Hz max. One is branded Ugreen and the other Raukie.

Lastly, I only tried with Vim Ubuntu 16.04 V170102 as I don’t dual boot ; connected directly to a HDMI monitor, it works perfectly well.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated

EDIT : that working install of Ubuntu was flashed on the EMMC, replacing the original Android version

Kitesurfer,

I use a 1440*900@75hz with a HDMI to DVI adapter. Works without problem with android and libreelec. Didn’t try ubuntu though. Only thing is I don’t have sound with this adapter, but it’s OK for testing.

Thanks for letting me know. I actually wish I had taken more time to test that display configuration on Android before erasing it to replace it with Linux. In the long term that’s the platform I want to be in, but in the mean time it could have yielded some useful information.
Anyway, from your experience at least I know that the same resolution at the same frequency works with DVI ; perhaps there is less overhead for the adapter’s processor to ‘translate’ to a digital format than to VGA’s analog one ? If so, scaling down the initial output received from the VIM might make things better ?
Cheers

EDIT : the Hyundai monitor actually has a DVI connector as well, I just remembered, so building on your experience, I’ve just bought online an HDMI to DVI cable and will report back my findings ; regarding the sound, as for you, its absence is not critical and may anyway be worked around using the bluetooth channel. Thanks again

Well that’s a relative success : it works all right with the above mentionned hdmi to dvi cable.
But now I’m facing, as others from what I’ve read on the forum (Screen Resolution (Ubuntu) for instance), the impossibility to easily change resolution to adapt to a smaller monitor.
I’m going to try http://docs.khadas.com/social/BuildUbuntuRootfsViaPrebuiltImage/

Hi, Gouwa,
How about support 800*480 resolution over HDMI in android? Is it real? I wanna use khadas vim board in my car pc project. I must compile own kernel with custom resolution and timings settings?