Case for the VIM3 and M2X

Get the Creality ender 3, Hands down one of the best affordable 3D printer,
Guarantee will do any job well, has so many good reviews

Product page here

1 Like

similar to the release of hot air so that it is not sealed at all

Oh Ok, kind of like a pressure release mechanism but for heat, nice design choice

Can anyone provide the .stl form of the VIM3, it is in .stp form and I can’t use it in my software,
@tsangyoujun could you convert it for me in solidworks?

This model : https://dl.khadas.com/Hardware/VIM3/CAD/VIM3_3D_Model_V200327.zip
Thanks, :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Electr1 hello! Sorry I didn’t see your posts in here, for some reason the forum didn’t email me - maybe too busy with the video!

I’ve attached 3 STL files in this zip archive:

• TS050 Screen
  • Box Style Casing
  • VIM3 + New VIM Heatsink + Fan

Download: Final_Assembly_01_stl.zip

I personally feel people who edit files in polygonal-format are extremely talented. It is very challenging. In the old days I used to use this free open source software: http://www.wings3d.com/

2 Likes

Yes that’s an M2 screw mount, for mounting things on to the top of the heatsink. Here’s a drawing to show you the hole distance, as well as the depth of the center spine.

1 Like

Well I wouldn’t really say talented, I don’t know how to use Regular CAD :sweat_smile:, I have ‘zero’ idea of the controls and other functions, That’s why I am using Tinkercad which is not really for professionals, Actually its more for young children :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But thanks for the .stl files though. I am work on something for the VIM3, like an Armor case
will be published soon

2 Likes

Regarding 3d-printable hinges and other stuff, I often take inspiration / reference from:

Many many examples there, also the guys there often use sub-division/polygonal modelers like the one you are used to.

Things to look out for:

• Minimum wall thickness
  • Minimum feature size
  • Minimum gap distance (if printing as one-complete-part)
  • 3D printer in-fill recommendations (part specific)
  • 3D printer heat bed recommendations (temperature / warp / part specific)

3D printing still remains a rather dark-art, not well documented, rather than a science. Unless you’re using those industrial grade printers, hobbyist devices are fickle creatures. :smile:

3 Likes

Hmm, I saw some designs there a few times too, but all that was there wasn’t suitable for our case design, either bulky or way too bendy, I took some inspiration from there though, will design something new and better :slightly_smiling_face:

Yep totally, I have faced those monsters once and, Boyyy… did it not go as per plan :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Ah TinkerCAD, I would like to teach that to my colleagues, great for beginners, but the website is really slow when accessed from China.

I recommend you get started straight away on AutoDesk Fusion 360. Sign-up as a startup, and you get 1-year free.

Sub-division / polygonal modelers are more for artists and animators. It will be a pain to export anything to a 3d printer, especially if your part is scale/unit-sensitive.

2 Likes

Hmm, I will give it one more shot,
I am a bit lazy at learning :crazy_face:, and like putting my existing expertise to learn out of my mistakes and previous experience,

Anyway, I have still got that model coming up :slightly_smiling_face:
Stay tuned for It…

2 Likes

Hey guys , here is my first proper Case for the VIMx,
It was designed as two parts with the Bottom part to be made of CNCed Aluminium and the
Top part 3D printed,

The bottom part acts to protect the bottom of the SBC and be a Heatsink at the same time
The top part is just a cover and and protects the Fan + Heatsink or just the heatsink,

here are some pics of the design

Orange is the top cover
Green is the Bottom cover

when full assembled,

Take a look at each part a bit more,

Just apply thermal pads to the bottom metal part, but rectangular thermal strips would fare better with

Tell me if you guys like It, give me your thoughts about it, something that could be better, something that need more work, I will release final file once it is fully completed. :wink:

Good day!

5 Likes

well done, well modeled

as I understand it, your version without a display
:grin:

1 Like

Yep, I tried something related to this topics actual name “Case for the VIM3 and M2X”, Im sure you could squish the M2X into that sandwich somehow :grin:

Just make sure you have really Looong… M2 screws for that situation :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Aww yea, I like your design! Reminds me of the Japanese “Kawaii Style”, whereby everything has to look “tasty” somehow.

These key holders somehow have to look like food items:

2 Likes

Yes, the japanese designers have a knack for making stuff look cute :blush:,
Speaking of Japanese, and sandwich ,and Food, this came to my mind at first thought,
imagevery sandwichy :rofl:

But… I am not sure how tasty my sandwich of plastic and metal, with a filling of silicon would be…
Probably crunchy :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Don’t mind me, just putting my Ideas here :wink:

I see a lot if guys with the Touchscreen, without it having a safe protective cover, so here is just another little design that you can 3D print to protect your touch screen from bumps and bruises on those delicate glass corners

Also includes mounting points for VIMs if you wanted to connect that to the back of the Case,
I made this design to be a kind of a cover aimed at the touch screen, ask me and I can modify it to your liking, Hinge, vents etc.

1 Like

You can check out the Kap Case 2’s design for reference, regarding the screen cover. :slight_smile:

The orange FPC connects to a daughter board inside the cover, but there’s a black FPC cable that requires routing.

2 Likes

Thanks, I will see that as well :grinning:
when will we see a Kap case like system for the VIMs, I want one soon :smile:
With battery etc.

1 Like

Are there any 3D printed case designs for the VIM with the new M2x Expansion Board?