Case for the VIM3 and M2X

I see, okay. What do you have access to? A laser cutter, or 3d printer?
2.5 screw is M2.5? Usually M3 is more common.

I don’t care whether LC or 3DP, Is it a big issue? (Sorry, I’m not familiar with this kind of thing)
M3 would be right.

1 Like

I have Edge-V and VIM3 together.

Well, if you need to 3d print it, then there’s more freedom in what can be designed. A laser cutter requires a different sort of design.

3D printing could be enough.

1 Like

Sorry for late response. Been ultra busy with updating the website / photos. Only just now spending some thought on the VIM3 + TS050 LCD screen casing. I’m aiming to create a simple 3d printed case, maximum 2 pieces, with the requirement of “no additional fasteners”. This way people won’t need to hunt around in their hardware store to buy a correct length of screw…will see how it goes. More updates later.

3 Likes

Looks like a thick phone (without an inbuilt battery) at the moment. Should we go with rounded sides…or angular?

4 Likes

I think it should be :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Oh dear, just remembered that I have to make a cut-out for the SBC buttons. Angular might be easier after all. Box style could be the easiest.

1 Like

it’s okay, I completely trust you! :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

Khadas has a lot of good quality things!

1 Like

I won’t win any awards for this box case design. But it is practical, and can be printed on an FDM 3D Printer (the cheapest there is). The question about how to secure the VIM3 into the casing? Use some duct tape, or hot glue - no additional fasteners needed.

Remember to print with support material!

Download: .stp, .stl

2 Likes

Thanks! It’s amazing. I’ll post a picture when I print out. :smiley:

1 Like

This is looking amazing. I’d love to get one if you plan to sell it and patch the lcd driver for mainline :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for such an amazing work.

2 Likes

@Sean_Yi Okay! Let me know if there’s any bugs! (There could only be 1 or 2, related to thin walls, I can fix the model if your 3D printer can’t do it)

@Spikerguy thank you!

By the way, if you have access to more advanced 3d printers like an SLA type machine, the casing could be made more similar to commercial types (more delicate features like ventilation grills, and plastic hooks or snaps, hinges). You can find these on imaterialise or shapeways - but of course more expensive.

My goal with this design was to make something printable at home, with a home FDM printer.

This design is Lit :fire::fire::fire:,
too bad I don’t have a 3d printer ant my home nor are there any services nearby to help me,
all have is this, tons of it,

i am however experimenting with many other Eco-friendly options :smile:

3 Likes

Updated the 3D model again @Sean_Yi, fixed some bugs.

Changelog:

• Added cut-out for SD card
  • Added cut-out for VIN connector
  • Added fan grill
  • Lengthened IR cutout for LED lights

Download: .stp or .stl

3 Likes

When I was R/C aircraft modeling, I made an entire fuselage out of cardboard treated with thinned spar urethane. It was a large airplane with a ~1.8m wing. The urethane made it fuel proof, stiffer and to some degree stronger. I assume it may have a desirable effect in this situation too. Cut lines after treatment can be very fine. I accept that spar urethane may break the “eco-friendly” part. :grin:
Heck before I was 25, much of my world was made from repurposed cardboard and wire coat hangers. :laughing:

You may also want to look in to foamboard and Coroplast in your area, both are suitable for making small enclosures. However, foamboard is an insulator of heat, and that’s not good.

2 Likes

Hmm will try that out as well, :smile:
I am aiming for some kind of Ecofriendly composite material made of shredded cardboard and boiled rice as the intermediate binder, fortunately this stuff is super strong, flame retardant and has very good weight to strength ratio, I want to use this material as the casing for my vim 3 and even looks cool.

my only problem is getting a blender to shred the cardboard ,I am looking for a way to steal one out of my mum’s kitchen :laughing:

4 Likes

You’re just asking for trouble there fella. :laughing:

2 Likes

Paper is a wonderful material! :smile:

I had so much fun as a child, challenging myself to see what I could make with some simple sheets of paper.

@Electr1 challenge yourself, it is fun! Sometimes having all the high-tech stuff is boring, since it is too easy to make something out of standard materials.

4 Likes

I sure will @tsangyoujun :smiley:

1 Like