Case for the VIM3 and M2X

@tsangyoujun I am actually using Tinkercad to modify the design and I have little to no experience in Autocad, since Tinkercad only supports .stl and .obj files, I am using an online converter service to transform .stp to .stl,
This is what is the result of the conversion,

Can you just provide it to me in .stl format, it seems like there is some problem with conversion, Thank you in Advance :slight_smile:

Ok it works in autocad viewer,

guess its just a problem with the software

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. Try to find a local service to avoid the tremendously long shipping delays. :smile:

Yes, but every service available is way too expensive, one quote gave me 50$ for a print with ABS filament

I had a look at imaterialise and shapeways, the general market price is about $50 USD. :smile:

If you can find a friend it would be best.

I also found this online, https://www.makexyz.com/#o-65dec8d8ebf02647c538d1ad1be6b956

https://www.makexyz.com/3dprinters/

Oh thanks, but I need a person doing in my own country, or else the product price and shipping price will be same,
but If I take a look in my own country the Rates are extremely high, equal to 80$ to 100$, I am in a fix on deciding what to do, it is no way affordable to go either way :confused:,
or I will just wait and save up money to buy my own 3D printer, that is actually more economical

1 Like

Hey guys, so I made a version of the Handheld VIM3x Case with some of my selected modifications that might be super useful for anybody,

This is based on the original version by @tsangyoujun , So Credits to him :blush:,

what I have added in the design:

1. Removed the old hole punch vent for a more Dynamic looking Honeycomb pattern that has increased Airflow and also works with not only the regular VIMs heatsink coupled with the 3705 Fan but also the New Khadas Passive heatsink for the VIMs, available here

*bet you didn’t think about that did you @tsangyoujun :grin:

2. Added a kick stand on the back which allows the device to be at an angle when placed on a flat surface, is held in place by friction and click back into place also by friction, the hinge used is a pin in a socket type, (hope that is the right word for it)
(will need to do experiment with some more types of hinges)

and the entire thing can be 3D printable as one part, Nice!

here is a few sneak peeks of it,

Hinge Mechanism In Orange
Honeycomb Vents In Blue

Here is the link to download the .stl file
If anyone wants to test it for me, it would be super nice, Thank you

P.S recommended setting,
Use ABS, Any color your choice,

Use a extrusion diameter of 0.1 to 0.2 MM for the hinge to work properly, and
Infill of Atleast 60%

Print with the honeycomb side down and don’t forget the support material

6 Likes

I like your edition, the hinge stand part is much needed as pencil hole is not practice and doesn’t look professions at all.

The vents are nice but its quite big maybe you can try will similar honeycomb pattern but 50% smaller?

I’d love to pay for this if they start selling this or someone can 3d print it for me. Though I am still waiting for the LCD driver to be ported to mainline.

Cheer.s

1 Like

lol I have the same problem :smile:

the hexagon size or the total covered area?, I intentionally made it big so it could provide more airflow for the people using the New passive heatsink, I am sure it doesn’t sacrifice structural integrity

1 Like

The smaller the size of the hole (Honeycomb) the safer it is for the board from things going inside. This is just one way to think.
If there is a fan installed then it will suck air for all the passage it can get no matter the holes are big or small, but there is a downside to smaller hole that is noise, so maybe you can try with medium size holes.
This is just my advice.

Sure I will be out with such design as well, but I created this design specifically with the passive heatsink in mind,

1 Like

I have made a Modded version with 50% smaller holes

but here is something to note, by scale each of the holes in the previous version is just a pinch bigger than a standard hexagonal pencil at about 10mm max width and 8.66mm length

This modded one has holes at 8mm by 6.66mm

I don’t really thing anything solid will pass through to be that dangerous, in that case i can make on that has even more smaller holes covering the fan alone, so no large particles can enter and damage the Fan blades

3 Likes

I am loving this design :heart_eyes:

This is as small as it can get :upside_down_face:
I’m sure nothing could damage your device with such size though
I believe the size of the holes here are like 4mm by 2.7mm or something like that

1 Like

I like this one also but can only know the fan air suction noise after trying this one and also the previous one with fan on level 3.

Nice work.

Thanks, I think the Noise won’t be that high in comparison to the other designs, but it will definitely struggle a bit more.
but also will need to deal with the sound reverberation, that looks like this,

your option is excellent without a fan,option at tsangyoujun excellent with a fan

Yes that’s what I wanted to say, Tsangyoujun’s Design is nice for Fan based system, but it is my personal choice to use a honeycomb style vent holes and also this design is compatible with both types of cooling devices so its not specific to The heatsink,

Also it would be nice to use that New product as the center point of the Design, to see some of it different scopes of use :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh your design is great! I can’t be expected to think of everything, that’s what you’re here for!

Haha, makes me tempted to buy a 3D printer and stuff it in our office! But then if I ship the prints to you, it will still take 30++ days. (best to find someone local).

3 Likes

Find a model and add the purchasing list of 618.

3 Likes

Haha thanks, I don’t need you to ship one for me, I would be happy if you could test one yourself and tell me your findings I wish to polish the design a bit more over time, That hinge need a bit more work, i am thinking of hinge designs that are more durable but are also one part print.

Free product advertising :rofl:

BTW could you send me that VIM3 +Heatsink +Fan model
in .stl form,

It lets me churn out more of my wicked Ideas :smile:

2 Likes