Build vim2 firmware including root support

It’s still rebooting or restarting after saying it’s been fixed I think I might give up probably but a new I’ve had the vim2 for quite a while now

I am sorry to hear that. Not sure where to go from here.

I think it is necessary to closely consult with Khadas employees for more accurate diagnostics and warranty service.
Good luck to you!

@MacThomas62 has already returned their VIM2 to Khadas for repair. Unfortunately, it seems the issue persists. I guess a trip back to Khadas for a deeper look would be a possible solution.

Yes, it’s a pity that this whole story dragged on :slightly_frowning_face:

What is the latest version of Android OS and when did it come out this is for the vim2 maybe this might fix the random restarts or rebooting I’ve had with my vim2 I’ve got to get to the bottom of this and what’s causing this is been going on for so long now.

The latest Android version for the VIM2 is Pie, date of release is in the file name.

I’ve downgraded the os nougat to a older version hopefully this will work but as I’m writing this its restarted again so its nothing to do with the os I’m still trying to what is causing this but I’m running out of solutions.

I think I know what is doing this it’s the android os nougat it needs updating to the latest os for the vim2 is superceleron doing another custom rom for the vim2 I read a article on people’s phones they do the same thing like randomly restarts and rebooting it’s to do with the os I’ve done literally everything and nothing as work but I haven’t tried changing the plug or power cord but I’ve noticed that khadas do not update the Android os I’ve tried pie that doesn’t work properly I get like a black line across the screen maybe it’s the vim2 it self I’ve had for quite awhile now probably that needs updating to a newer khadas.

Overwhelmingly, when random reboots come up, it is a power delivery problem. I thought you had long ago supplemented the power supply and cable. If you have not done so, by all means, try a different supply and cable.
I have run almost every firmware and SC ROM on the VIM2 and have had no random reboots. This leads me to believe your issue is other than OS or Firmware related. Power and/or heat issues have proven to be more common causes.

While it is possible your VIM2 has a hardware issue, it is not the most likely. As your VIM2 is older, you may take a look at some of the more recent Khadas SBCs. But before writing off the VIM2, try different power supply and cable.:slightly_smiling_face:

When you say try another power supply and cable I don’t know what power supply and cable to use because the power supply and cable is khadas is own do you mean buy another cable and power supply from khadas because it doesn’t work with another cable or supply I wouldn’t know which one to pick I’ve noticed it’s got worse actually this is the only thing I haven’t tried.

What is the power supply and cable you use on the vim2 then I can go from there I’ve got to get to the bottom of what is causing this because I’ve noticed it’s got worse I’ve tried all the versions os on my vim2 it’s still randomly restarts.

What cable and power supply should I get for the vim2 or should I buy another cable and power supply from khadas that’s compatible with the vim2

I use the Khadas 10w power supply with the USB-A to USB-C cable that came with the VIM2(This cable would work). However, any decent quality power supply capable of delivering at least 2 amps at 5 volts should be sufficient. Do not attempt to use PD or QC type USB chargers.
Even though you are using Khadas PS and Cable, it is possible one has gone out of spec. It can happen to any electronic device. PSes age as used, sometimes the “on time” and heat can age critical components and a device goes out of spec. Power supplies are particularly vulnerable to Line sags, spikes and surges, this ages them as well.
Between the cable and the PS, I would more strongly suspect the PS.
If you have another USB power supply that provides 5 volts and 2 amps(or better) current, substitute it and see how it goes.

I’m hoping this is the problem the power supply and cable like I say I’ve had the cable and power supply as long as the Vim2 the cable come with vim2 and bought the plug at the same time back in 2018 so I’ve had a long time but this restarting or rebooting as been going on since feb 2020

I’ve ordered the power supply and cable for my vim2 hopefully this will sort this problem out and I’m thinking of trying Krescue out on my vim2.

I also hope it addresses the reboot issue.
Krescue is a handy OS/Utility. It can be used without effecting the installed OS. Check it out. The Khadas YouTube channel has some videos on Krescue, find them here.

Once I’ve burned the image to a sd card what do I do once I’ve got Krescue on my vim2 I’ve never used this before could you explain to what I’ve got to do I’m doing this on my MacBook Air and I’m using Etcher.

I’m on my MacBook Air now I’ve download the Krescue image but there’s one problem it’s greyed out so I can’t burn it to the sd card is there a krescue image for the Mac OS

This video shows it being done on some Apple device.