Build vim2 firmware including root support

I still don’t know what’s doing this because when I download a series or movie collection it doesn’t reboot or restart but if I watching movie or tv show on a media apk that’s when it starts rebooting and restarting I don’t think it’s unstable power because it would be doing it all the time so that’s strange why it keeps doing this.

Send us a photo of your vim, show as many details as possible

Can’t send any photos because it hasn’t been doing it but you don’t know when it’s going to do it, it just happens it happened last week I was watching a movie and the vim2 just reboot back to the start

I meant the photo of the board, not the moment the system was rebooted

Ok I will do that but what do think is doing this I sent it back to khadas they said there’s nothing wrong but the day I got it back that night it reboots strange but I don’t really want to take it a part the vim2 is in a diy transparent case

I am sincerely sorry for you
:frowning:

What app are you watching the media on when it reboots? Does it reboot when using other media viewing apps?

It’s cinema hd but it was doing it on Kodi as well I’ve stop using Kodi now but when I’ve download torrents and then watched it through es file explorer it doesn’t do it but what thought was strange is the day I got it back I was watching a movie and halfway through movie it reboots that was watching through cinema hd I don’t think it’s unstable power because it would be doing it all the time rebooting or restarting

I do not think that could be assumed. It would be the nature of an unstable thing to be unpredictable. I am not saying a power issue is the cause, but I do not know if it has been ruled out as a possibility. Also to be considered is a USB-C connector or cable connector issue. If Khadas analyzed the VIM2 and did not discover a rebooting issue, it may be that something other than the VIM2 is the cause.
Does the VIM2 power supply share an AC outlet or circuit with any devices that may be considered high current startup devices like an A/C unit, refrigerator, dehumidifier, HID or fluorescent lighting, etc?

A log may offer clues to the cause. I am not welled versed in troubleshooting from logs, however, others here are. Maybe you should capture a log with a serial debugging tool. It may also be possible to get a log from Krescue, I cannot recall. Otherwise an Android log app such as SysLog or Logcat may provide useful information. Then post the log here for user analysis. Scan the log prior to posting to make sure it does not include personal information.

I’ve got a external hard drive 1tb connected and a pc I’ve got the vim2 connected to the tv but the vim2 as been rebooting for ages before I even bought the pc so I know it’s nothing to do with that I read a article about android devices rebooting and restarting and it was saying something about apps that are faulty and apps that run in the background and software that needs updating that’s all I found I’m going to search the web

Hello it rebooted again the other twice what it I had a mini hub with 4 ports I had a external hard drive connected so what I did is disconnected the mini hub and connected the external hard drive to the vim2 so far no rebooting or restarting I’m hoping I’ve fixed this but I don’t understand why the mini hub might be the problem strange

I too hope you have it resolved. Hard to say why a mini hub(powered hub?) might cause the rebooting. May have something to do with the particular IC used in that particular hub.

@MacThomas62 iirc, I was telling you before how the could have been sucking a lot of power such that it tanked the USB ports, adding the USB-hub may have been adding extra load to the power management, such that it caused the device to shutdown due to lack of power,

Its better to see that your device isn’t rebooting without the Hub :slightly_smiling_face:

You ain’t going to believe this but it’s still rebooting or restarting I watching a tv show and it done it again the picture freezes and the vim2 reboot or restarted I haven’t got a clue what’s causing it but it is starting to annoy us because you don’t know when it’s going to go off

can you run the device with no extra peripherals attached ?
or is that the case here ?

I can’t really do that because i used it for extra storage the vim2 is 64gb

but can you test it, running without the peripherals ?
see how long it takes for it to crash/reboot in that case.

like playing some online media from youtube or web browsing etc.

I’ve noticed when it reboot or restart I haven’t had the fan going on the vim2 but I’ve turned it on now so far it’s been ok

It’s still rebooting or restarting I’ve had enough of it I’m going to turn it off it’s literally doing my head in I’m going to throw it in the bin

@MacThomas62 I’m really sorry to hear that its acting so finicky,
but you don’t really need to throw it in the bin, its hard earned money,
you could still repurpose and use it as a openWRT router,

which raises the question, have you tried running ubuntu linux or something like that on it ? is the situation the same there ? still willing to help you.