Build vim2 firmware including root support

USB-A Male to USB-A male cables are generally wired straight thru, that is, Pin1 to Pin1, Pin2 to Pin2, Pin3 to Pin3 and Pin4 to Pin4.
This type of cable is often used to flash TV boxes that have only USB-A ports.

Sorry to here about the bad luck, hopefully it will turn around soon.

I’ve noticed something else my vim2 is 64gb 4g Max it came in a transparent box but the one khadas sales now is different to mine this is the new one Max is 64gb 3g Max and just comes on it’s own

That was with the kit thingy when it was sold back in Gearbest iirc…

I bought a transparent case I’m going to connect the heatsink and fan my question is where do put the thermal paste on the board I’m going to try this out I’m hoping I’m not going to mess this up can you show us in detail

Your heatsink should have come with a thermal pad. That thermal pad should cover the CPU. The following video is for the VIM1, but very similar to the VIM2 in this way.
To mount the heatsink…

Heatsink components…

To mount the fan…

If you have the metal plate…

I’ve these videos do you put the thermal pad on the CPU

It needs to cover the area shown here, labeled CPU. It is OK if it covers other components, but the CPU needs complete coverage.

I hoping this is going to work I bought the transparent diy box ages ago I have never used it but now I’ve got to I haven’t a clue how to put it together but I’ve been watching the videos

You will get it together. Remember to remove the protective film from the surfaces of the thermal pad. Resist over-tightening the screws.
The videos should help you be successful.

The thermal pads release this slightly sticky liquid, I dunno what is it exactly, maybe silicone grease, but I wanted to inspect my heatsink after a month or so, and it was quite a little mess inside, I wiped the residue with some Q-Tips… has anyone else experienced such a phenomenon ?

I have not seen that, however, I have not unmounted any of them.

Once I’ve set this up what settings do you run the fan on the vim2

I usually set it to Automatic. That usually keeps it under 60c even in my uncooled garage.

I’ve put in it’s new transparent case it looks the part I luv khadas I’ve even got the fan running it’s very quite it comes on or off hopefully this is fixed the rebooting or restarting issue I was bit worried because I thought the screws wasn’t long enough I got it together in the end it’s quite easy actually putting it together.

1 Like

What can I put over the top of the vim2 to stop dust from going into the vent or van is something I could buy on Amazon that will stop the dust

I am unaware of a specific product to block dust intrusion for the VIMs. The case has openings on all sides, top and bottom. Covering all those openings would be a challenge, also would reduce airflow and promote warming. For the top plate, maybe you could add a fine screen or similar. An alternative solution would be to use canned air to clean the dust periodically. Be careful with canned air, keep a distance between the can and the VIM2, don’t get too close.

PS Congratulations on the assembly, glad it is together and hope reboots are behind you.

The vim2 has got a buzzing sound now is that normal I think it’s the fan but I’m glad put in this box it does look good that guy who does the custom rom’s reckons about 2 months or it could be more for the update all depends on how busy he is

You can go in to settings and temporarily turn the fan off to see if the fan is the source of the buzz. The fan can be audible, so could be. Make certain no wires are interfering with the fan’s blades.
If the buzz is a bother, try setting the fan to low or medium, while the fan will run fulltime, the noise will be reduced.

The sound the vim2 is making it sounds like the overhead catenary system

Is the sound present even with the fan off?