Brand new fresh out of the box VIM2 dead

there is another way, ask Hyphop to add an image to the database

Yes, he would need to update the .list file, but just saying,

you can prep the SD card to be able to insert .img images in it and then install it on to the eMMC, no need of anything else

I may need to update my Krescue skills. However, I thought “image dump to SD” backed up existing eMMC to SD card, not to use regular images to flash the eMMC. I will study it further.

As the Android 9 is a preview, hyphop may not want to add it to the kresq images. Worth askimg I guess. I generally prefer flashing with the USB tool, so not deep experience with the Krescue for that purpose.

Yep, lot has change in the mean time Mate
:smile:

Krescue has great scope, if one doesn’t have constant access to their computer, they can use it to flash images on the fly, once the thing is prepped for .img dump, if you have something like a mobile phone, Android preferably, just put the SD card in the SD slot, copy the image from khadas database, paste it in and get going with the flashing process, it is just amazing to be able to do such a thing
:star_struck:

Hyphop said somewhere that there are several methods of working with the tool, I myself have not yet tested everything in practice
:slightly_smiling_face:

I have the guts to say now that, even Krescue is better than USB-C tool in some ways :smiley:

in terms of simplicity, maybe you’re right

I wish to get a 64 Gb SD card to replace my existing 16 Gb SD card for linux and use the smaller one for Krescue indefinitely, but the times right now won’t allow me to purchase anything locally

Learn something new everyday. I did not know I could flash *.img files with Krescue. Good to know.

Me either. :smile:

yes, I too learnt it after watching the latest video from khadas regarding krescue usage :slight_smile:

I watched the video, I did not see a reference to burning img files. I saw where the eMMC was dumped to card, then that image was flashed back to eMMC( I have done this before). I will try img write to eMMC with the Android Pie image tomorrow and see what happens.
I am curious, if this works, why have *.kresq files to begin with?

@RDFTKV sorry I pointed to the wrong menu, my apologies, please look here

here is the video I saw to be aware of such superpower:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER4BOJUhoYU

For backups, of course, not just writing images to eMMC,

I saw no reference to flashing *.img files in that video either. They used Krescue to flash *.kresc files. I do not believe *.kresq files and *.img files are the same.

I think Krescue does not dump eMMC images to sd in kresc format, it dumps them to img.gz files

nope, definitely *.kresq format, please check that post I modified some stuff, my apologies :slightly_smiling_face:

Will do, but it is late now, time to turn in. Will review it tomorrow.

ok, no problem, please watch for satisfaction

we all have to figure it out, my friends!

1 Like

Unless Khadas has made a non-compliant PD supply it will ALWAYS start at 5v, for devices that dont have the ability to negotiate up but have the appropriate resistors on the CC pins to indicate current will get a 5v supply at the current indicated (by the resistors). Those devices that dont have the resistors or a PD controller - i.e. a VIM2 will get nothing. Have just verified this by plugging a VIM2 into a 45W PD supply - no voltage output - add some 5k1 to the CC pins as pull downs and it works fine.

Given i very much doubt khadas has made a non-compliant USB PD supply then i think the power supply issue here is a red herring. Suspect what @Gouwa meant in the other post that was referenced is that you dont get any voltage out if you dont have resistors or a PD controller in the device

Plus L7 is on the data lines not the power supply lines and they stay at 5v regardless - easiest thing to do if you have a steady hand is de-solder L7 and then short out what was pins 3&4 and pins 1&2 - effectively remove the need for it - you might get more EMC noise or something but will have a workign VIM2 USB C port again

1 Like