Brand new fresh out of the box VIM2 dead

It makes me have to think twice before updating, linux is somewhat easier, Android is really hard in comparison :triumph:

especially in the past where I used Mobile data to do downloads, and damn… it is slow
:sloth:

IM going back to 7.1 version 518

The version that came with the board seems to be the best so far.

I could never get pie to get past the boot, superceleron fan wont work and the board got to hot

Couldnt get the update to work even in TWRP wouldnt work, the update in the OS wouldnt work either or im not smart enough to get it to work,

The stock 7.1 was the most stable with less hasle

10W PSU comes tomorrow, hopefully it works in the USB-C port, if not ill run it threw the pogo ports like im doing now

ALso superceleron rom didnt have mouse support with stock remote another issue i couldnt get around

Im to far behind with this board, if i would of had it when everyone else did i could of stayed current with everyone else

Component L7 appears to be tied to data lines. If true and L7 has opened as a result of the damage, not likely USB-C can communicate with the PC.

I had no luck with flashing Pie using the Burn Card Maker. I only had an old class 4 SD card available, could be to blame. I will try to free up one of my better cards and see how that goes. Once I do, I will try again.

If your PC powers the VIM2 via VIM2 USB-C port, the 10w power supply should also work.

It is a holiday weekend, so I might be out watching stuff blow up and won’t get to the tech tonight. May be tomorrow before I get to it.

Thats cool, thanks for your time.

What does Pie offer to this board over the stock rom?

I have not spent much time on Pie on the VIM2, have not developed a critical opinion of it yet. Generically, updates to Android versions can include additional features, security patches and bug fixes.
As the VIM2 Pie is a “preview”, it may have some bugs that won’t be there when they release a final version. As a result, you may want to stick with 7.1 until then. That being said, if you are curious, give it a try.

If I recall correctly, superceleron’s SCV* Roms required having SCV-1 on eMMC in order to OTA update to SCV-2 or 3.

Confirmed…

1 Like

Well i couldnt get it to update, there was 2 ways, first i clicked the “About device:” on the right side and the only option was update online and it said “you are on the newest version” or something like that

Then i clicked “more settings” and it took me to a white settings screen and i clicked about device and it then let me pick a source to update from but when i tried to redirect it tot he downloads folder it wouldnt let me

Its like it wouldnt see the files in the folder, or i didnt copy them right or something

I tried to copy from the SD card using copy and paste from SD card to downloads folder. Im still fairly new to android and doing these kinds of tasks im not that good at yet.

At this point after blowing up the board im just thankful it still works and its usable

What i HOPE is since the 24watt supply has the 3 different voltages 5, 9 and 12 or what ever it has, i hope it just blew up the line from the 9 or 12v and it still works from the 5v line

I also used an aftermarket USB-USB-C cable, it wasnt the actual Khadas cable that came with the VIM3L kit which might or might not of saved me?

Its funny they thought of every thing to prevent bricking these boards sept using the wrong supply they are fused in differnt places but not this one just my luck

I believe all three voltages come from the same line. A PD power supply sets its output voltage based on negotiation.
As you had this problem from first plugin, it is hard to know that it was caused from connecting the 24w PS, though yours is not the first case on the forum.
I think I will pickup a USB-C voltage tester with PD function, just to see what the 24w does when confronted by a non-PD load.

Theres like 12 pins in those plugs i think if im counting right.

So if the same pins output 5, 9 and 12 how does the device know what to use?

Does it just pull what it needs? Ive never tested anything on the boards when powered up

I just assumed it uesd 5 but it was designed for 9 and 12 for future plans, or add on boards? Edge, the Tone board, Captain, etc

There is special circuitry usually a bunch of resistors that are connected to some Voltage pins that pull up or pull down the voltage depending on the required voltage, other cases special chips/ICs monitor this stuff,

this bit of Article explains why your board, even though it did not have USB-PD,
got a part Blown up by 12 V

The first Power Delivery specification defined six fixed power profiles for the power sources. PD-aware devices implement a flexible power management scheme by interfacing with the power source through a bidirectional data channel and requesting a certain level of electrical power, variable up to 5 A and 20 V depending on supported profile. The power configuration protocol uses a 24 MHz BFSK-coded transmission channel on the VBUS line.

here are some of the USB-PD profiles,

It seems like the 24w Power supply starts at 12v, causing all this ruckus

Half of the pins are duplicates so the connector can be plugged in any way around.

The device(load) tells the power supply what it wants(or can use), though I’m sure it asks nicely. :smile:

I flashed SCV-1 to the eMMC. I downloaded SCV-3 and copied it to a card. Placed the card in a USB card reader and connected to the VIM2, ran the update app and it found the file. Ran the update and it successfully updated to SCV-3. In both SCV-1 & 3, the fan control worked as expected.

I was unable to successfully flash Android 9 using the Burn Card Maker. Resulted in boot loop.

I believe the Burn card method is broken, it was the same thing for me with stock firmware :confused:

not considered a reliable tool

USB burning method or Krescue Highly preferred :+1:

let’s say, Krescue was originally created for backup / restore, but Hyphop improves it every time, and now it has become more flexible in terms of use

1 Like

Yes I totally agree, It is a literal One-stop solution for flashing eMMC images, and taking their Backups,
I love the amount of support in Making it happen Thumbs up for Hyphop :wink:
:+1:

1 Like

Yes, but as BowerR64 has a damaged OTG port, they have few choices to burn Android Pie on to his VIM2.

No doubt, but Krescue has not yet Android Pie image for VIM2 and his USB OTG port is damaged.

Burn card maker 2.0.3 did not work either, maybe there is a later version.

Ahem !, please read my post once more, thank you
:blush:

there is another way, ask Hyphop to add an image to the database