Benchmarking the VIM3

yes, I know that you got a fan, from your other post :slightly_smiling_face:

Yep, it works like a charm, not the most beautiful beast in the room but gets the job done.
I was I a dilemma as to how to cool it, if I didn’t cool it when I was running one of high load applications on it it got super hot and I was scared I might cause permanent irreversible damage to the device all together,

Due to the situation prevailing I could not just buy a Khadas 3705 fan and heatsink as it would not arrive, because external country imports are not allowed right now, If I wanted to buy some thing from outside my country, I would have to wait for about 1 year for consumer imports to be allowed ! Yikes!

oh and plus the 30$ shipping charge for a country that that is nearly 0 KM apart :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

In any case, I think you did not lose :grin:

yep totally worth the 300 ₹ I spent on it, ( 300 ₹ ≈ 4 USD )

Amazing!! Thank you very much, @Electr1

I compared the Test 4 with the results from the github project and they match completely.

Also, it is amazing the clpeak results.

Looking forward to have OpenCL support for the CPU too, so, we can test clpeak, hashcat and another one to do load-balancing and compare the co-execution (I can propose to you). If you don’t mind, of course. :slight_smile:

Great work!

Question 1: Why you need to use ubuntu-18.04 to execute SBC-bench?
Q2: why did you use the kernel 4.9 and not a 5.X kernel?

@bizcocho85,
1. SBC-bench would fail to start due to reason that some of the testing software it uses is not present in this version (eg. tinymembench, or something like that and refused to work ), also it requires modification as it will not execute if the system load is above 0.1 % which earthly not possible as in being idle in headless mode it has Avg. load of minimum 2 % !, due to time constraint I actually referred to a previous test done by @numbqq

ref. here to the original post, original post

2. I have android in my eMMC, which means using Mainline kernel would give me the green screen problem, this might have been slightly fixed but for sake I have used it.

1 Like

Sure I am open to suggestions, I am a bit busy myself, but I will try to reply to you ASAP,
If it is openCL on CPU I will post that as well I just need to get POCL installed,

Got of a bit of a Hashcat performance test done before I doozed off for the night :sleeping:,
Take a look ,

Will upload the full test tomorrow morning,

1 Like

Here is the test I did this morning, the results are better,
but the process gets killed on the 5th test,

Sure, thank you very much. Really interesting.

Did you kill the process or it got killed somehow?

nope it got killed I am trying in the mainline kernel, will release results soon

I ran the Hardinfo 0.6-alpha benchmarks today.

I also note: While the Glmark2 score shown in a post above is not revealing usable game performance, it’s worth noting that the raspberri Pi4 WITH GPU only gets 150 - 195 in GLES under Xorg!!

For comparison the Nvidia Jetson Nano scores 2120 in OpenGL2 under Xorg!!

Excited to see the first Panfrost driver results on VIM3!

1 Like

Thank you for posting this data here @clort76 :slight_smile:

btw i get better glmark2

glmark2 Score: 108 

=======================================================

Hmm, that’s weird which Firmware did you use, and at what resolution?

with ./glmark2 -s 1920x1080
i get

glmark2 Score: 51 

=======================================================

I’m running openbox, devuan ceres linux, and the kernel khadas made for ubuntu
Linux vim 4.9.206 #4 SMP PREEMPT
resolution was default for glmark2

this forum editing on vim3 is very slow - many seconds to wait to see what i typed. :confused:

Ok, That is different firmware, it seems a bit optimized, is it your own making?
Could you share the firmware, its seems cool :+1:,
What does it offer over out stock firmware ?

I just used ubuntu image and converted to devuan, using same kernel as Khadas ubuntu image. Windowmanager is openbox.

Someday i want to get panfrost and 5.4 or 5.6 or 5.7 kernel, whatever. But i don’t understand kernel building with fenix yet. Don’t understand .dtb and uboot. Sorry.

ok,anyway, thank you for the info @clort76

If i kill -SIGSTOP my browser i get glmark2 of 110
kill -SIGCONT to resume.

compiled with gcc version 9.3.0
export CXXFLAGS="-march=armv8-a+crc -mtune=cortex-a73 -ftree-vectorize -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

with glmark2-es2 i get a Score: 90
./glmark2-es2 --off-screen, Score: 162