Audio player using VIM 3L + Tone board

Hi @Gouwa
Do you have the specs of the antenna thats supplied with the VIM3L ? Thanks

Hello, The Khadas 24 watt PD power supply will also work on the VIM3L. Requires USB-C to USB-C cable. Typically it defaults to 12vdc on the VIM3, I assume is true for 3L too.

Normally with USB C there is a power negotiation between the load and the power source, and hence you have to have a good comparable cable. This was mainly for quick charging of batteries. Does any power negotiation happen also with the VIM boards? Or does the VIM board lock at a fixed voltage ?
From the old threads what I see is if you want to power using the type C you can supply 5-12V , or 12V via the VIN molex connector ?
I wanted to use a better DC power supply instead of using the Type C. But what specs 12V 2A ?

If I recall, the VIM3 and 3L negotiate with the PD PS, default on the VIM3 is 12v, that can be changed(?).
Yes, from what I read, 12v can be applied to the USB-C or the VIN connector, I assume this is true for the 3L too.
Khadas PD 24w outputs…
USB Power Delivery Output: 5V at 3A, 9V at 2.67A, or 12V at 2A

@kenny will response here.

Hi Ro_Ro,
please download specs here

1 Like

Thanks, I picked up two 162mm long high gain antenna with SMA male connector and an IPX pigtail cable…
2400-2500MHz / 5150-5850MHZ
8dBi
50 ohm
Once the board comes ill check how it performs.

2 Likes

VIM3L + Tone board + Touch screen has finally arrived … Yayy!!

@hyphop @Gouwa Now when will Volumio be ready for the VIM3L?

any idea on the dates it will be released ?

3 Likes

@hyphop maybe you can release a testing image to limited users for testing first and collect the feedbacks.

Hello, Gouwa was referring to Khadas Team member hyphop for the Volumio. He suggests hyphop release a test image for a few users. Those users can give feedback to fine tune a more broadly released Volumio image.

1 Like

i’m the volumio developer for vim3l volumio. We are not ready for a public vim3l test version yet because of outstanding issues with hdmi audio. @hyphob is helping us to resolve this issue, after that we will gladly release early versions for testing, to be downloadable from the volumio server, links will be supplied.

3 Likes

Thanks … will wait eagerly for the Volumio to be released …

Hello Guys,
I had been on a break with work and Christmas vacations, and now Im back.
Meanwhile I had designed the custom housing enclosure in CAD and just received it from CNC punching and bending.
The enclosure is made from sheet of 2.5mm thk Aluminum which will be the outer cover or the top cover and the main tray which houses the PCB’s is 1.5mm thk Aluminium sheet, with an anodised finish in silver.
Also got the port names laser etched to add good finishing touch.
I think it looks slick!! Check out the pics. From concept to partly final.

8 Likes

Now to get to installations of Volumio for the VIM3L @gkkpch.
I had read in a thread that there is a version of Volumio that is out for the VIM3L
https://dl.khadas.com/Firmware/Krescue/images/VIMx.Volumio.emmc.kresq

But it is still not completely developed ? Could you please give an update?
Also will the volumio support the touchscreen TS050?

1 Like

we still dont have any release from VOLUMIO

but u can check this last test version!!!

1 Like

@Ro_Ro @hyphop
Volumio is not my full time job, so I have to live with the time I have available and have to share it with other Volumio projects.
On top of that something unexpected happened in the last few weeks, which stopped (and still hinders) my work, sorry for that. I hope to continue next week.

The Krescue image @hyphop mentions is an early test version, please use it as a sneak peek only!
Do not draw any conclusions based on quality and completeness, a lot has been done since and there is still a lot to improve.

I’m afraid the TS050 is not on my list of features (yet), currently only HDMI is usable for Volumio.
But as it appears, the Khadas kernel and device tree are prepared for it.
It should be possible, with some help from Khadas, to make a guide for manual modification of the configuration.

@hyphop: eventually such changes must become persistent, because otherwise each future Volumio OTA update would override the mods and the user would need to re-apply them.
Tell me what has to be done for TS050 support and I’ll look into it for build script modifications regarding persistency as a 2nd priority.

5 Likes

Ok Thanks @gkkpch . Will wait for a good stable working version with Touch screen support.
I understand its part time, but please try to do it sooner. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Case looks great @Ro_Ro

I too bought the VIM3L HTPC Bundle + TS050 Screen + Tone Board. And some other extras.

I want to use the player for Netflix, Tidal and Flac files.

I have a beautiful Class A amp I want to use with this gear. I think more Audio obsessed will come for the VIM3L once the coding side is worked out.

I hope to share all my Khadas adventures on my YouTube channel - HatlessChimp https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCPc6BB8B6F-ZBkdOs_hVpjA

5 Likes

So has there been any update on the development of Volumio for the VIM3L with display support? Or this project is stuck in the cold storage?

Unfortunately, this damned virus changed the planning “a little”.
But there is news. @hyphop and I agreed yesterday that we will finish the VIM3L version starting March 10th.
Most of the work has been done, we have a fairly well tested volumio image, built a matching krescue image and have over-the-air updating running on VIM3L.
Volumio will be complete with myVolumio functionality and last week’s brand new UI integrated.
So, after a kernel update we will generate new Volumio image version, prepare a krecue image with it and launch.

6 Likes