Armbian on the Khadas Edge2

Hi all.
You can now use Armbian on your Khadas Edge2.
For now there are test images from @balbes150 that can run on USB devices.
You do need Ubuntu installed on the eMMC. It doesn’t work with Android.

Balbles150 his images on Yandex : ArmbianTV — Яндекс Диск
Balbes150 his images on Armbian users : https://users.armbian.com/balbes150/kedge2/

For more info on how to install to eMMC and still be able to boot from USB, see this thread.

My video about Armbian on Khadas Edge2.

Official Armbian images are coming.

1 Like

Hello @NicoD

Nice video, thank you~ :wink:

1 Like

Hello @NicoD and @numbqq,

Will it be made available in OOWOW soon?

i will update online scripts for install armbian for edge2 too

Info about kerne 6.2\6.5\6.7 + 3D HW for edge2

Libreelec for edge2

5 Likes

Ver 20240124. Fixed wifi and bt. Debian SID images from GNOME have been added. In Debian and Ubuntu (lunar), you can enable HW acceleration (to do this, you need to perform several additional manual steps).

2 Likes

Can we have video from the type c or hdmi to the monitor yet with this version?

I don’t understand the question, specify exactly what you want. The output via HDMI is working.

Add ver 20240125-legacy kernel 5.10.160

Alright so bear with me I might be mistaken but from what Ive understood this recent collabora kernel doesnt provide video to the monitor via type C connection but does via hdmi only on rk3588 (radxa rock 5b). Am I wrong ? Can we flash this recent kick ass image and get it on monitor via type c?

I do not have usb-c hardware, I have not checked its operation. HDMI is working. HDMI audio works on versions 6.2 and 6.5.

Ver 20240126-edge kernel 6.7 + panthor.

2 Likes

Can you share me the results of this test? So we can compare them.

That was the issue since the beginning of collabora efforts… they made the mainline but only with an working hdmi for the rock 5b (3588) not for the rock 5a (3588s) and I use video out put to a monitor via type C which is much better… So I am waiting for that update. I wanna use the edge 2 via type c.

System, kernel version, mesa version, performance settings ? Several versions of the kernel 5.10\6.2\6.5\6.7, several mesa options and settings are now available. Without specifying the exact conditions, the results will be very different.

p/s/ Judging by the log, this is the 5.10+ARM mesa blob core with maximum performance settings ?

Why did you decide that USB-C is better than HDMI?

Touché image from MonkaBlyat. (Just print the glmark2-es2-wayland results) we could see the current values of the “mainline”

Do I even have to answer that? (kidding) lets say most monitors do more refresh rate if via type c than hdmi for example my chimichanga monitor does 230hz if plugged by type c and only 60 if via hdmi… Plus armbian (your image has audio issues via hdmi so said monkablyat) this has been an issue for a while now… its wifi modules not recognized and lack of proper audio idk what armbian is doing but… fixing these havent been their priority.

Why Type C. Well hdmi is a big slotted port and does less quality than the type C. Sure radxa rock 5b has power issues on their type C port… but that is no issue at all with khadas edge 2.
I only see advantages to be honest and why wouldnt you use type c over hdmi?

Armbian images with new vendor bsp kernel 6.1 and 6.8.y:
https://fi.mirror.armbian.de/incoming/khadas-edge2/archive/
Check improvements.

3 Likes

What Works:

• USB3 Host
  • USB2 Host
  • SD Card & emmc
  • MCU Fan Control
  • AP6275P wifi
  • HDMI and VOP2
  • Crypto and trng