Armbian + KODI (Ubuntu\Debian) for SD & USB & eMMC

At the core of 4.19 while there is no support for Wi-Fi VIM2 Pro and Max. There is wifi only on VIM2 Basic.

Update ver 5.67 20181128 kernel 4.19.2

Update ver Next 20181128 kernel 4.20

5 Likes

@balbes150
Any chance to get Wi-Fi working on VIM2 Pro/Max?
Thank you.

Not until someone creates drivers for them.

1 Like

It’s in place already https://www.systutorials.com/linux-kernels/620128/brcmfmac-add-support-for-the-bcm4359-11ac-rsdb-pcie-device-linux-4-5/

Does anyone know what’s going on with mali lima driver, there is Libreelec image using it, is it starting to get usable, any chance to soon have it on Armbian and Vim images?

ver 20181228 (kernel 4.19)

Hello there. I install to emmc armbian (Armbian_5.67_Aml-s9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.19.7_desktop_20181228.img.xz) and install kodi. But i have problems with performance. Kodi work to slow. Any idea how i can resolve my problem?

If you need KODI, use Libreelec.

The new version 5.68 20190110.
Updated kernel to 4.19.13.

New image Armbian 5.68 20190110 5.0.0 (NEXT)
The version with kernel 5 works only when launched from USB media.

Update the NEXT 5.71 kernel 5.0.0 20190114 image . Fixed working with SD card.

1 Like

The new version 5.71 20190118.
Updated kernel to 4.20.2.

Good news :slight_smile:

Update version NEXT kernel 5.0.0-rc2 20190118.

Khadas VIM1 Pro has WiFi And BT without any patches.

5 Likes

Update image 5.75

How to start the system from HW to VIM1 S905X. :slight_smile:
Run the latest Armbian image from external media.
Download of media the script.

Unpack and run.
Select the components you want to install.
Wait for the installation to finish.

Copy the contents of the “/boot” directory to a new location (for example, to the "/root"user directory).

Fix references to the libMali library in the “/usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu” directory (in the process of the script, these references can not be created, because in their place are other files\links). I do it through MC, copy right from DEB package the necessary links with forced replacement.

Reboot the system.

Copy from the previously saved directory “/boot” to the current directory “/boot” (with replacement) - uInitrd , and the uImage file.
Copy with replacement all files from the directory “/usr/lib/linux-image-next-meson64/amlogic” in the directory “/boot/dtb”.

Download and replace media script s905_autoscript this.

Reboot the system.

Run the command “depmod -a” as user ROOT and reboot the system again (or load the mali module manually).

After these steps, I have earned HW in MPV for full screen video and in the browser began to work without brakes video in full screen from YouTube in resolution 1080. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@balbes150, i’ve been trying to run this script, but i get errors, you can see the log on the forum topic.

I’ve been trying to manually install deb packages in this script, mali and kernel, it finishes installing it, but the system stays the same, it does not revert to 4.19.20.

Yes, finally, i’ve tried it with Midnight commander, it is now installing without any errors, thank you!

@balbes150, I’ve been following your instructions, i obviously did something wrong, but i can’t figure out what.

Mpv works in fullscreen, chromium is giving me errors when trying to play youtube, i have lost sound, glmark2-es2 says gl renderer is mali 450, overall experience looks very smooth.

About Chromium, which one plays fullscreen yt videos, i should probably pick streaming option, is that the main difference between regular and streaming?

Maybe you can make a small tutorial video on your yandex page?

Yesterday after several months of not touching my systems I’ve decided to update and found out there was no 5.75 for S912. And today you’ve uploaded it! Thank you! I have 2 questions:

1. I need to repartition eMMC to several partitions, part of them read-only. Is it possible to achieve this by simply using ddbr and recover from Armbian_5.75_Aml-s912_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.20.5_20190211.img and then as normal - fdisk it and resize?
  2. Is Armbian_5.73_Aml-s912_Ubuntu_bionic_next_5.0.0-rc4-next-20190130-g02495e76d-dirty.img worth trying instead of 4.x? Because I have some kernel-based troubles with 4.x and usb. I don’t need graphics, only network usb and wifi.

I don’t install Chrome from the media-the script (I am using standard version of Chrome 64 bit)

Replace the dtb files in the “/boot/dtb” directory with the new ones (there should be no “/boot/dtb/amlogic” directory).

1. After restoring the archive from DDBR you will get exactly the system that was at the time of the copy creation. If you already have Armbian installed and configured on the eMMC, you only need to install the new kernel and other components using DEB packages. To update shared packages from online repositories, use the regular system update command (apt upgrade).
  2. Start any system from external media and check what works and how.

@balbes150, i have (tried) to do everything as you said, but clearly i made some mistake, because i can’t get the sound to work, but i don’t know what.