Armbian for Khadas EDGE (RK3399)

I am 99% sure that you are not entering the new password correctly, which does not comply with the security policy. Therefore, the system cannot change the primary password and therefore does not start other procedures.

login root
paswd 1234

will try again, with a USB keyboard, no wifi.
disappointed by nougat and pie.
what armbian do you advise me?
kodi, iptv etc

This is not in Armbian, these elements are in LibreELEC.

You shouldn’t decompress the file but directly burn it to an sd card with balenaEtcher for example.

I tried like 5 different images (dev, default…) from diferent releases 5.8.8, 5.8.9… And everytime Khadas just keeps rebooting.

My process is:

1. Format SD with SD Card Formatter
  2. Burn the img.xz with Balena Etcher
  3. Plug the card in the Edge-V, power it

Both the process above and the hardware used (Samsung Evo 32GB SD, 30W PSU and a 60W rated USB C - USB C cable) work fine with Ubuntu on the Edge-V, but I cannot make it work for Armbian. Any hints?

First, unzip the image and then try to burn it with another program.

Already tried unzipping it with Linux terminal, and with Windows WinRAR. Formated + burned the SD with Linux terminal, and also tried the same in Windows with Win32DiskImager. Tried already in Mac with SD Card Formatter + burning with Balena Etcher.

When I power On the red led starts, the white led blinks twice and it reboots (it keeps doing the same all over and over). Maybe I’m missing something obvious but I tried exactly the same process (in macOS with SD Card Formatter + Balena Etcher) with LibELEC img and it worked without problems.

1. What exactly is your version of EDGE ?
  2. The full name of the Armbian image you are trying.
  3. Show the contents of the file (/extlinux/extlinux.conf) after recording the image to SD card.
  4. What is written in eMMC (what firmware is there now) ?

Hi balbes, thanks forthe fast reply:

1. I have an Edge-V (the lastest version, v13)
  2. Tried many different ones, but for instance I’m trying now the:

Armbian_5.89_Rk3399-tv_Ubuntu_bionic_dev_4.4.167_desktop_20190627.img

1. Contents of /extlinux/extlinux.conf:
LABEL Armbian
  LINUX /Image
  INITRD /uInitrd
  FDT /dtb/rockchip/rk3399-khadas-captain-linux.dtb
  APPEND root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=uart8250,mmio32,0xff1a0000 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 
  1. Haven’t flashed anything in eMMC yet just ran distros from the SD card, so it still has the default Android it came with.

The weird thing is that trying images that weren’t built for this board+soc they won’t start and Android will start instead, but with the Armbian image it’s constantly trying to bootup instead of skipping traight to Android.

Change DTB to edge-V version

Amazing, it works thanks. With “edgev-linux” didn’t work, it worked with was “edge-linux” instead.

Please check this version with the use of media script on EDGE-V. I am interested in how the full-screen video output on EDGE-V will work with the DTB that is included in the default image.

Edge-V user here, in my 1024x600 test screen it looks nice, I will try in my 4K monitor aswell if you need. My ethernet won’t work though. I tried multiple images (no mater if 4.4.154 or 4.4.167 kernels) and it doesn’t detect/connect to ethernet. Images I tried:

• Armbian_5.86_Rk3399-tv_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.4.154_desktop_20190515.img
  • Armbian_5.89_Rk3399-tv_Debian_buster_default_4.4.154_desktop_20190627.img
  • Armbian_5.89_Rk3399-tv_Ubuntu_disco_default_4.4.154_desktop_20190627.img
  • Armbian_5.89_Rk3399-tv_Ubuntu_bionic_dev_4.4.167_desktop_20190627.img

On EDGE-V v13 , the wired network only works with images >=5.89_20190627 and provided you use the correct DTB.

@Frank you can check the operation of the wired network to EDGE-V v13 with version Armbian 5.89_20190627 ?

@balbes150 , OK, I will check it after complete the work at hand. Can you give me a link with the frimware.

And it is desirable to specify which DTB settings (DTB file name) you are checking (this is useful for other users).

@balbes150, OK, I will check it.

1 Like

@balbes150, I check it just now. The wired network works fine . The DTB file rk3399-khadas-edgev-linux.dtb was which I used.

1 Like

rk3399-khadas-edgev-linux.dtb from dbt folder and from dtb-4.4.154-rk3399-tv folder both cause my Edge-V not to boot but to keep rebooting. Used the 5.89_20190627 firmware.

The only dbt that works and boots correctly is rk3399-khadas-edge-linux.dtb but it seems to be causing network problems not detecting ethernet.

My extlinux.conf:

LABEL Armbian
LINUX /Image
INITRD /uInitrd
FDT /dtb/rockchip/rk3399-khadas-edgev-linux.dtb
APPEND root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=uart8250,mmio32,0xff1a0000 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0

armbianEnv.txt:

rootdev=UUID=e4f3cef1-6360-464a-a70d-21cfd96b763c
rootfstype=BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.0.0-19-generic
rootdev=LABEL=ROOTFS
rootfstype=ext4

Show me a photo of your Board.

Have to say the eMMC firmware is fucked up since flashing it a Fenix built Ubuntu Mate firmware, but it still loads SD images.

I think you have a lot of confusion in eMMC (you have written wrong data to eMMC). Completely wipe all eMMC (zero with dd command). And then install the standard Android firmware.