Armbian for Khadas EDGE (RK3399)

I think you have a lot of confusion in eMMC (you have written wrong data to eMMC). Completely wipe all eMMC (zero with dd command). And then install the standard Android firmware.

Okay will try to fix the eMMC firmware and try again with Armbian, I will report back once I got it

Is there a way to boot Armbian, LibreELEC from USB drives for Khadas Edge V?
I didn’t know you also needed a Captain board just to have a micro-sd card, the board itself should have had a micro-sd card slot since it’s quite expensive to also have the Captain board just to boot Linux OS’s.

Khadas offers the Edge I/O, a small expansion board, looks like it has micro SD.

1 Like

That might work, thanks.
I only need a micro-sd card slot, not anything fancy like the Captain board. :slight_smile:

I think it’s possible. To do this, you need to make changes to the ENV variables to specify u-boot, check the system startup from USB (for tests, you can use the UART console). I still do not have enough free time to do it as a ready-made solution (to do it for RK, on the principle of universal multiloading , as I do for Amlogic). If you do it immediately in the Android firmware, then all users will automatically be able to do so. :slight_smile:

Specs for the Edge I/O are shown here, but the link returns to original page. However, the Edge I/O schematic is available if that will help.
Thanks for all of your efforts, much appreciated.

With the same image, I have also ethernet working, but the usb2 port is not working. Can you test if it is the case for you too, please?

Edit: I found the problem, my keyboard+mouse on the same port is to power hungry when initializing for the usb2 port.

@jeanrhum, OK, I will check it today.

@jeanrhum , I test it just now. My mouse is a 2.4G Wireless Mouse. Both the left and right ports work well.But I have a point of view that your mouse and keyboard are not working. Becase the USB2.0 port just have 500 mA, It may not drive your keyboard and mouse in one. I think you should check how high is the voltage required?

The new version 20190716. I checked the operation on EDGE-V (v13). Works HDMI, sound, wired network, WiFi (need to install the full version of the firmware package for Armbian), works BT. To get a full-screen video with HW support, you need to install a media script.

2 Likes

Hi

Someone can summarise the Linux kernel wifi support for Khadas Edge-V devices eg.
Linux 4.4 kernel
Edge Basic - AP6356S - Armbian, LibreELEC wifi working?
Edge Pro, Max - AP6398S - Armbian, LibreELEC wifi working?

Linux 5.x mainline kernel
Edge Basic - AP6356S - Armbian, LibreELEC wifi working?
Edge Pro, Max - AP6398S - Armbian, LibreELEC wifi working?

Is it only the AP6398S mainline 5.x kernel wifi driver that is still a problem?
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-wireless/65388464-5328-4BF3-8C9A-7C59E3D361E1@gmail.com/T/

Hello @mo123

For kernel 4.4, both AP6356S and AP6398S should be working.

For kernel 5.x, only AP6356S works.

Ok, that is good news since I have AP6356S.

For AP6398S, is it possible to contact Ampak, Broadcom, Baylibre, Collabora to help mainline the wifi driver faster?
I think it will help a lot if support for it can be added faster.

Hi

This bcmdhd.1.579.77.41.x wifi driver can’t help for AP6398S support for mainline last modified 20/08/2019?
https://mega.nz/#!lF12xQYS!u3ajDN2tPnYrCzs1i4qhliUKl3UQP4pPN0C300grb3g

@balbes150, @Frank
Can test if this AP6398S wifi driver works on mainline 5.3.0-rc4/5 kernel for Armbian/LibreELEC on Khadas Edge-V Pro?
Ampak made it work on kernel 5.0 before, and got it compiled successfully on kernel 5.3.0-rc5.

As far as possible, I will try to check this option.

The new version of the universal image Armbian 20191217 has support WiFi for EDGE on the kernel 5.5

3 Likes

Tried Armbian_19.11.3_Rk3399-tv_eoan_dev_5.5.0-rc1_desktop_20191217 on the Edge-V Pro(AP6398S) with M2X extension card mounted. SSD mounted to M2X. For DTB I used rk3399-khadas-edge-v.dtb
WiFi worked fine, same for sound via HDMI. SSD also working.
I have not had much time on it yet, but seems very nice so far.

Is it still advised to use the media script?

Just realized I had not connected the antenna to the Edge-V yet. Good thing the router was close. :grin:

1 Like

There is no script for kernel 5 yet, but there is an instruction (script) on the Armbain forum on how to enable Panfrost on RK3399 for General acceleration. Although for full-screen video up to 1080p is quite enough current capabilities of the system. rk3399 is a very good chip if with good cooling. Unlike Amlogic, RK development is much faster for the mainline kernel and support for Linux-based systems. Recently, I’ve been shifting the focus of development to the RK and AW platforms. Unlike AML, they seek to actively improve the performance of their hardware with the main kernel and Linux systems. AML does not care about Linux, they naively think that they can continue to do without its support. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

… or you may use my precompiled images, headers and kali-linu and extra stuff script))))

2 Likes