Android builds without root

What’s application did you have a test with this ROM? My ROM is really non root and you can install RootCheck application to verify it.:grinning:

No problem with the root check it states device non-rooted but all streaming services will not play giving error device is rooted, some how these apps do find that the device is modified.
By the way I have tried un-rooting in different TV boxes before and all will give “device not rooted” with the root check apps but the problem still remains and the apps refuse to work due to the device being rooted.
I thought that this time you would provide some kind of genuine non-rooted firmware that will pass the checks of the streaming services.

I used this one : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.freeandroidtools.root_checker

Root check passes, but safety net check fails

Yes, exactly.
We need a firmware that passes safety net check.
Please try to make a firmware that passes the safety net check.

1 Like

It is caused from the busybox.
If you compile the firmware without busybox the SafetyNet’s basic integrity will pass the check; the ctsprofilematch will still fail though (snce it is not certified by google)

I had a test for it and but the safety net check pass. :sweat_smile:

Also you can try to modify the build.prop file with adb command.

# adb shell
# adb root
# adb remount
# adb shell
# vi /system/build.prop

Change the value from

ro.build.fingerprint=Khadas/kvim2/kvim2:7.1.2/NHG47L/20181030:userdebug/test-keys

to:

ro.build.fingerprint=OnePlus/OnePlus6/OnePlus6:8.1.0/OPM1.171019.011/06140300:user/release-keys

I will definitely try this out, but sorry for asking, how can I mount the device to windows?

All the commands are giving me error “adb: not found”
What am I doing wrong?
The adb shell is working and the device is authorized but it seems the adb has no root access.

As the device is now not rooted so how can I carry these commands?
Will I need a custom recovery to modify the build.prop without root?
Any help is appreciated.
Thank you.

In windows you cannot (you’ll need to perform it from a linux host)
But you can unroot a previous rooted firmware directly from android. Just follow the instructions from Vim 1 unroooted VIM_Marshmallow_170929

Thank you for your reply.
The VIM2 already shows as unrooted with this NON ROOt firmware but still streaming services are detecting as rooted so I thought maybe it would be the keys used are test keys, so I wanted to try what terry suggested by modifying the build.prop and adjust the line to release keys like the line he had put.
Can I do that from Linux without the VIM2 being rooted?
Can you please direct me with some steps?
Thank you again.

The easy way is to install Ubuntu and then install ADB

after that you’ll need to enter the commands that terry posted earlier.
On the Vim1 unrooted firmware VIM1_Nougat_NonRoot_V181030 safety net failed both the basic integrity test (because of busybox) and the cts profile test.
Plus nougat on VIM1 do not play well with netflix unless “Disable HW overlays” is used.
Check if on VIM2 the SafetyNet integrity test is true … if it fails, you’ll need to remove busybox after modifying build.prop .

Thank you for your reply and help.
I have installed linux, adb and fastboot but unfortunately I get the same result “adb: not found”
So, what could be the problem?
If terry would be generous and compile the firmware with the modified build.prop for the user keys line (description and fingerprint) and also without busybox so that we can test it, his help and efforts would be greatly appreciated.
Please terry if you can do this it would be great.
Thank s in advance.

1 Like

By the way, I forgot to mention that I can view the build.prop with the last command “vi” but not able to edit it.
What I noticed going through the lines that there are other entries with “test-keys” and “userdebug” in the lines, would these affect the booting when changing the fingerprint line? are these lines inter-linked because if so it would cause failure to boot.
Please advise.

Sorry for bothering you all that much.
I have finally managed to edit the build.prop file and rebooted the VIM2 but unfortunately it all ended with the same result and the streaming apps refusing to play detecting the device as rooted.
Please any of the experts to the rescue.
Maybe it’s because of busybox like paperinik mentioned or maybe because of the other lines in the prop file containing “test-keys” and “userdebug”, I don’t know.
Isn’t there any android tv box (not android tv only android) works with pure non-rooted firmware
Please if anyone can help with this it would be marvelous.

I have found something interesting.
After changing the build.prop file I have used 3 Root and Safetynet checking apps and all of them gave the VIM2 non-rooted status, however, safetynet checks (CTS profile and Basic integrity) fail to complete they are stuck in checking status and do not give an end result and I have to press back button to kill the process and one of the apps give “API Error”.
This is different than before as it was giving status rooted in CTS profile and Basic integrity checks.
Any one can have a lead from this finding?

Hi samkatta,
the other lines in build.prop should not be changed.
I do not have VIM2 so I cannot test it, but on Vim1 busybox causes safetynet integrity check to fail, which would cause ctsprofilematch to fail too.
SafetyNet Attestation API  |  App quality  |  Android Developers (look at the table Possible attestation results)

-For the apps that get stuck in checking status = google services are not updated yet (you can fix it with a reboot)
-The one that gives an api error = an app that the developer has not updated and does not use the latest api for the safetynet certification.

Hi paperinik and thank you very much for your continous support and replies.
First, what I was referring to is that before changing the build.prop line the check tests continued till the end, however, when I did change the build.prop “fingerprint” line these tests failed to continue and got stuck in the checking status. I don’t know but maybe it’s because of mismatch in the fingerprint device and the rest of the build.prop lines.
Second, indeed as you mentioned, the checks revealed that busybox is installed and there are also remnants of SU binaries. So the VIM2 with this firmware pass the root check but “CTS profile match” and “Basic Integrity” both fail in Safetynet checks.
I don’t know if it’s feasible to have a firmware without busybox or any other SU binaries or not?
Can we have a vanilla firmware for the VIM2? only our beloved Khadas Staff can answer this question.

You’re welcome.
Have you cleared the data and cache of those apps before checking with the modified build.prop? If they still get stuck try after a factory reset. The finderprint line is unrelated with the rest (at least for the safetynet test)
Did you try to remove busybox? (I can’t help any further since I do not have a machine to test)
You can either wait for a reply from terry or another VIM2 owner or you can try the guide/instructions I posted on how to unroot an already rooted VIM… it only takes 10 minutes and you’ll be up and running in no time.