Ubuntu Mate with Linux-4.9 ROM V170605 [EMMC INSTALLATION]

Sorry for waiting for so long, here we release an new Ubuntu Mate ROM V170605.
Check Firmware Page to download the ROM.

ROM Infos:

• ROM version: Vim_Ubuntu-mate-16.04_Linux-4.9_V170605.7z
  • MD5SUM: d52a6f2c5df4cf353381e2fee716b42d
  • The ROM is for eMMC installation
  • Account info:
    • User: khadas
    • Password: khadas
  • LED state:
    • Booting: heartbeat
    • Boot up: breathe

Change logs:

• Linux kernel update to linux-4.9.26, commit ID
  • better 32-bit display(Before was 24-bit)
  • Add standard Linux GPIO Lib support, and setup PIN33/37 as generic IO
  • Enable UART bus (PIN15/16) as default
  • Add bluetooth support
  • Upgrade to the latest ubuntu-16.04.2 packages

Upgrade guidance:

Setup

1) Using GPIO
GPIO list:

• PIN33 / GPIOAO6: 6
  • PIN37 / GPIOH5: 31
    To use a GPIO, shoud export first, example:
# echo  31 > /sys/class/gpio/export

Output mode:

# echo  out  > /sys/class/gpio/gpio31/direction
# echo  0 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio31/value
# echo  1 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio31/value

Input mode:

# echo  in  > /sys/class/gpio/gpio31/direction
# cat /sys/class/gpio/gpio31/value 

Have fun!

6 Likes

What about sd card installation, when will you release it.

I am happy you finally released Mate, i will try it.

I want to use Android on eMMC and Ubuntu on sd card.

thank you khadas team for your hard work!

i have installed ubuntu-mate-v170220-version on my emmc, can i update from there or do i have to install the new version again?

thank you for answering

1 Like

Excited to try this out!

What’s the status of the 4.12 kernel? I’m still anxious to get OpenGL support :slight_smile:
It’d be great if the VIM got finally running on mainline so we wouldn’t have to play catch up anymore :blush:

I’m also a bit concerned with the immanent release of the VIM2. It seems like Khadas is struggling updating one product, let alone two! So will this be the end of support of the VIM?

Hi, harpmaster:
Thanks for your question!

Currently, our built still doesn’t support this yet, but I think we will build a server to support that in the future.

Hi, Tommy21:
We will release DualOS based on current Ubuntu-Mate release and new Android Nougat ROM first, then we will focus on SD card installation for Ubuntu ROM.

Thanks!

1 Like

hi gouwa
it’s ok, thank you!

We will provide long-term support on VIM. :wink:

We will public a document about how to port mainline linux on VIM in these days.(Linux-4.12 still not works well on VIM at the moment)

So, it still isn’t possible to change screen resolution, is there any workaround, some way to change it manually?

Gpu drivers available?

Sorry, still haven’t yet :confused:

mount error : cifs filesystem not supported by the system

Hi, Spoonman:
Can you post more details for this?

Thanks!

I wanted to connect a network drive to the smb protocol. I installed cifs-utils. But no module to cifs.

root@khadas:~# apt-get install cifs-utils
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
cifs-utils is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
root@khadas:~# mount -a
mount error: cifs filesystem not supported by the system
mount error(19): No such device
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

what does /etc/fstab contains for cifs share?

/etc/fstab no mounted cifs

I hope we won’t have to wait 4 months for the next Ubuntu update, i was hoping for Mali drivers in this image, unfortunately they still aren’t available.

I won’t ask how long we will have to wait for it, i just hope to receive it soon, but tbh i am a little sceptical about it.

then can you tell us what do you mount and how?

I am not sure how ubuntu works but would “apt-get update && apt-get upgrade” not update your installation to latest update from ubuntu?
I never used ubuntu so i can’t confirm this. I know with ArchLinuxArm doing “pacman -Syu” will update your system to current state in repository.

Regarding Mali drivers, well this is question for Amlogic. They produce this GPU so they should provide mainline driver for it. There is effort to get this Mali in Mainline from Martin Blumenstingl and baylibre developers [0] and other around which I don’t know but do upstream, also check [1] what their main guy, Neil Armstrong has posted on this forum. Also check [2] what @Gouwa wrote here. Neil also asked hardkernel for cooperation [3] as they also don’t have mainline Mali support.

Khadas Support can request support from Amlogic. There was [4] “Voices from the open source communities will be passed to Amlogic” but I never seen public replay.

PS: This isn’t place for such discussion so @Gouwa should split this to new topic.
PPS: you bought developer board not finished product. So a bit work from everyone is neede.

But I hope myself soon to have GPU support and use Kodi (without Xorg) with GPU acceleration when playing movies etc.

[0] Blog - BayLibre
[1] State of Linux mainline OpenGL on S905X - #3 by geokon
[2] Buildroot and GStreamer Support - #2 by Gouwa
[3]
[4] Voices from the open source communities will be passed to Amlogic - #7 by Gouwa

3 Likes

Will you share your kodi pkgbuild without xorg ones you made it?