Xorg isn't working

Hi,

I have just got a VIM1S, I have the image on 64 GB SD, I tied to use the emmc but I wanted more space to install apps, as I want to replace Wayland with a lighter weight desktop manager, so I install XFCE when I login, it seems like it’s loggin, goes to a black screen then back to gdm main log in page.

To make sure that XFCE didn’t mess up Xorg, I tied my current image that is fresh nothing else installed. I tired Ubuntu with Xorg, first. Same thing, goes to a black screen then back to gdm main screen. So, let’s try Gnome with Xorg, same thing. Xorg isn’t working.

How do I get Xorg working? Where do I need to start? I usually work with Debian/Red Hat/openSUSE, I am not sure about Ubuntu, even though it Debian base it not the same.

Wayland works, but my cpu is pegged. No offence, this board needs either XFCE/LXQt/LXDE. Wayland is too much, need to think light weight. Lubuntu/Xbuntu would work great for this board.

Hello @terrorpup

Can you try to remove the GPU package and try again?

https://docs.khadas.com/products/sbc/vim1s/remove-gpu-package

Will XFCE ever work with Wayland? Just wondering.

Hello @terrorpup

XFCE doesn’t support Wayland.

For boards with low memory > 2 Gigs, please use XFCE or LxQT, I get it. Ubuntu easy, but Gnome 4 was design to be Metro like OS, we aren’t using hand movements, so it over kill. Too many SBC kill the experince by pull Gnome on there and loading it down.

@terrorpup have you tried fenix to build your own image for vim1s?

I have built multiple images with lxde and xfce based on Debian or Ubuntu with almost no trouble.

2 Likes