Will VIM4 oowow be Open Source?

Hi Khadas team,

The embedded micro controller is a great addition to the device, especially for convenience of the less techie users.

But for more tech-savy users, is it possible to modify the firmware on the chip? I hope the stack (maybe even simplified version) be made publicly available and somewhat easy to modify. Will it or maybe it already is?

Thanks,
Tyler

At this moment, source code of MCU is not open source, but we sure we will release API documentation for MCU access & user level modifications.

Regarding the OOWOW, current state is not ready for open source as it’s still in beta stage. Maybe in the future.

I would also like to see this open source!

2 Likes

Software being in beta stage is not an argument against releasing the source code. Indeed, it’s an argument for releasing the source code. Releasing early and often is standard practice in open source:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/ar01s04.html

1 Like

Hi Khadas team,

Is API documentation for MCU access & user level modifications now available?

What is the function of MCU in VIM4?

Thank you.

You can check the MCU registers map here.

That is only a few that are trivial, do you have a list of all the registers?

Hello @foxsquirrel

This are all the registers for users and developers? Could you tell us what else you want ?

Thanks @numbqq ,

I checked the register table. It seems that the main goal of the MCU is to reduce system standby power consumption and expand system I/O, right?

Hello @Cn_Lien

Yes, for power control, FAN control and other special functions.

The entire TRM for the SoC, that manual is 5,000 ++ pages should cover everything that is needed.

But we talk about the MCU registers, and the datasheet for CPU you can check dl.khadas.com - Index of /products/vim4/datasheet/