Why is a 64-bit system needed for Khadas?

That makes sense. I know he was frustrated by it. He often leaped before he looked. He seemed to apply the same philosophy to buying vehicles. Good guy, just a little impulsive. :grin:

1 Like

I’m late with this I know. I recently tried to download the new playstation 2 emulator but it wouldn’t install because my Khadas vim 3 uses android 9 in 32 bit mode ugh! I also am wondering why the 64 bit board but a 33 bit Android OS? Apps I want can’t be installed like dophin or aethersx2. I have had my khadas since march of 2020 and have been impressed with its abilities however this 32 bit operating system is hampering the fun

2 Likes

Hi, yes, for example vim2 on Android has no problem with 64bit architecture. It’s hard for me to say why Amlogic got stuck with the latest processors without fully exploiting their potential.
:man_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

This is important and I hope the dev team at Khadas is hard at work supplying a solid Android push to 64 bit

Google bans 32-bit apps from Android for good

On August 1 2021, Google made good on its promise to stop supporting 32-bit apps on Android.

The misinformation in this thread is outstanding. Amlogic devices since S905 are 64-bit hardware and run a 64-bit kernel (there is no option to use a 32-bit one). So addressing “the full 4GB” RAM on boards that have 4GB is not (and never has been) an issue.

However Android userspace is something different. For app compat reasons the wave of 64-bit hardware that starts around 2015-ish used a 32-bit userspace. I’d guess the original vision was to switch over quickly once app developers realised the goodness and benefits of being fully 64-bit, but that never happens. As a general rule in any fragmented software ecosystem, the manjority of developers persist with the old way and delay the effort of switching over to the new way for as long as possible. So the only method to effect a big shift in behaviour is forced move; which is what Google has finally done. It has beeen possible to build/run 64-bit Android with 64-bit userspace for years already and there are devices in the market like that (nVidia shield). Almost nobody is tooled up for 64/64 images due to the 64/32 arrangement working well, but as people bump to newer Android where the change is enforced, builders of Android images will be forced to figure out the small changeset and switch. It’s not a big drama unless people make it one.

1 Like

This is not about the hardware implementation of Amlogic, there are no problems, the problem is in the Amlogic 64bit firmware on Android (in their sdk), in particular on new processors. It’s a fact!
Most clients require a 64bit system, and as they say, “The client is always right”.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like