Why is a 64-bit system needed for Khadas?

Blockquote other than the software, the hardware should be capable right ?

I dunno what you mean by this statement

I was referring to this, as the OS is 32 bit, it canā€™t use the full 64 bit register, but the hardware can support that right ?

I.E 64 bit OS can handle the 32 bit instructions faster than 32 bit canā€¦

yesā€¦ the hardware will support 64 bit but software is not using themā€¦

Yes, that shall explain itā€¦
Thank you

friends, my question did not arise by chance, I am trying to understand what guided Amlogic with a 64bit processor, releasing the 32 bit operating system (talking about Android 9)

1 Like

buddy, they havenā€™t prepared the required software to support 64bit yetā€¦
maybe we can ping @Terry to check if the deadline for their 64bit SDK release is still fixed or has drifted off into the futureā€¦

It is common for companies like amlogic to do this, distribute capable hardware and slowly supply better softwareā€¦

I also admit the moment that Linux systems are not their priority, since by default Amlogic always comes first with Android

Yes, They like to primarily cater to the Android Community, then the Linux communityā€¦,

Speaking purely as a consumer here I am wondering if this is a sign of failure in Amlogic on a core level.
Have they run into an investment wall and are unable to develop the software?
Perhaps the problem is with the A311D cpu on the whole and Amlogic is kinda just abandoning itā€¦

I donā€™t think soā€¦
they kinda do bring their software a bit later than mostā€¦
and rockchip mostly release the software earlier than them, and amlogic hitches the ride on the cabooseā€¦

No, itā€™s not about the processor for sure, there is something with Android 9, for example, s912 came out on Android 7 in a 64-bit system, and this year Android 9 (32bit) came out on it

My understanding is that Amlogic has to release the core library to be used for each version of Android for the cpu so that someone can compile that version of Android to the system (tablet, ph, SBC) they build around that cpu.

If I am right on this the only reason we have Andy9 32bit and not 64bit is because Amlogic dropped the ball and did not finish the project.

I have not looked into this globally, but some software developers make 64 bit Android 9 for their boards

@JustSumDad that is exactly right,
but the reason they didnā€™t complete 64bit version is because, 32bit libraries and stuff is readily available
but for 64 bit they need to do a lot of code modificationā€¦ but it seems they are going to take their own time :expressionless:

Even Windows had 64bit growing pains. My friend the gamer was an early adopter, I remember him being frustrated with drivers and stuff. He went back to 32bit until 64 matured a bit(no pun intended).

canā€™t say, here it is a problem of the Chip manufacturer (or) OEM (in this case its amlogic),
but for windows it is a problem or the OEM (microsoft), ODM (PC manufacturer, if applicable) and 3rd party

lol, thats quite funny :slight_smile:

Thing is google has decreed some time ago that all apps and O/S development must be developed for 64 bit. This was actually back with android 5 in 2017 -apps using native code must provide a 64-bit version (in addition to the 32-bit version). Then they enforced it a few years later where they would not allow an app on the play store that did not supply a 64bit version.
Starting August 1, 2019 :

• All new apps and app updates that include native code are required to provide 64-bit versions in addition to 32-bit versions when publishing to Google Play.

The complete flush of all 32 bit is still a year away but Starting August 1, 2021: ALL 32 apps will be gone.

2 Likes

As far as windows having issues with 64 bit that was because it was first for servers, then for workstations and gamers thought that a workstation O/S would be better for gaming but gamer video cards were not supplied with x64 driversā€¦ Took a bit to get x64 Windows into the home market.
That was quite a different thingā€¦

1 Like

Hmm, doesnā€™t that mean Android 4.4 will become obsolete for minimum app compatibility ?

ā€œHmm, doesnā€™t that mean Android 4.4 will become obsolete for minimum app compatibility ?ā€

yes