Volume Control With Roon on Tone2

Hi,

I got the Tone2 this week, and it sounds great! I run it through Ropieee with Roon and it is seamless.

The only thing that I am missing is Volume Control from Roon. I set the the volume control to “Device Volume” and the volume control still shows as “Volume control is fixed”. I use it with RCA, and amp volume control is a pain in my setup. Is there anything I can do to enable the volume control?

The reason I ask is, I also have the Tone1 Board and with the “Device Volume” setting, I was able to control the volume through Roon. Should there be a firmware change of some sort to enable volume control in Tone2 as I believe the chipset is very similar to Tone1? This would really make this complete! Any tips to enable volume control on Tone2 with Roon is appreciated.

Thanks!

Yeah. I have both the Tone1 and Tone2 Pro as well. It seems that for the Tone2 Pro, the decision was to only allow volume control using the dial, but perhaps this will change with future firmware updates.

For now, you can try using DSP volume. I’m not a huge fan since this seems to double the CPU usage on my little RPi endpoints (all of the dithering and level calculations happen on the endpoint to reduce latency).

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, I was hoping not to use the DSP volume, due to the degradation of the quality.

Just to add more, I installed Volumio as they support Tidal connect now. Volumio is able to only set Software volume as expected currently with Tone2 and the hardware volume option is not available.

The interesting thing with Volumio with Tone2 is when I play a MQA track from Tidal Connect (Volumio on Raspberry Pi) with software volume, at full 100% volume, Tone2 ringlight glows Blue indicating MQA decode. When I reduce the volume on Volumio/Tidal Connect, playing a MQA track glows Yellow on tone2 indicating PCM playback, probably because the MQA bits have been changed by volume DSP.

I really hope there will be a firmware update to enable hardware volume for use with RaspberryPi apps (Roon/Volumio etc) This would be awesome and will make it complete for folks who use the Tone2 through these apps. I believe this was done to Tone1, and even if it is a sperate firmware would be great.

1 Like

I use Volumio on RPi. Hardware volume control in the app would be great. This is the feature I want the most.