VIMs Ubuntu 20.04 V0.9-20200530 Initial Release

Hi!
Under X11, still many artifacts (especially with mouse cursor).
Under Wayland, it’s almost perfect! Web pages with firefox are fluid.
wifi oob.
mpv close (almost) to display HD.
Very promising!!
Thks to you guys! That was a huge leap, full of promises!
Can’t wait for a more stable release!

1 Like

On my vim2, VIM2_Ubuntu-server-focal_Linux-5.7-rc7_arm64_SD-USB_V0.9-20200530,

if WOL is enabled, it reboots when I power if off (poweroff command or power button).

1 Like

Yes, please disable WOL temporarily …

Yes. I confirm, things are ok when WOL is disabled.

I hope you’ll be able to fix this, because I need it in my setup.

1 Like

I am guessing it will take just a bit longer when considering this is released: VIM3/VIM3L Ubuntu 20.04 Linux 4.9 V0.9.3-20200814 OTA Release

Greetings,

1. Installed VIM2_Ubuntu-gnome-focal_Linux-5.7-rc7_arm64_SD-USB_V0.9-20200530.7z to 32GB SD Card using Etcher on Windows 10. (Failed on MacOS Mojave for some reason).

2. Have VIM2_Pie_V200624.7z already on EMMC and it is working (well not totally sure but apps from appstore install / getting the odd ‘developer warning’ pop up).

3. I run ‘aml_autoscripts.zip’ as per @numbqq multiboot instructions above. Here is a pic selecting the file in Android >
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/jaSX4iC7YhkQH4ES8

4. It then boots to ‘Android Recovery’ screen as per the following pic >
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/cUYHcndkJMkQ6HLD6
    Clicking ‘Reboot to uploader’ just results in a bottscreen with the Khadas bootloader. Clicking on Mount /system does the same too.

How do i boot to Ubuntu Focal with Gnome?

Cheers!
Michael

just enter upgrade mode, it will boot into Linux on the SD card, USB thumbdrive…

1 Like

Hi @Electr1

Just to clarify. I don’t have to run the Android script > 'aml_autoscripts.zip’, while in Android?

I just have to powerdown and follow the Button Mode for upgrade. (I didn’t know ‘U_Boot’ was also installed on the SD Card.)

Okay i will give it a go later…

Michael.

Not necessary, you can just use the buttons to enter upgrade mode and that will do it,
If you have a v1.4 board I suggest going with the TST method as it is very easy with just 3 clicks :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi, the first system you will have to start from sd / usb drive, the second you will have Android on eMMC, so you should always know how to reboot the system in Android.
Good luck :slightly_smiling_face:

You still need to have set the board in upgrade mode for that to happen in the first place…

if there is no switch as in coreelec, then of course you have to do everything with your hands

the question was based on android…

I know what the question was based on

I think you have to use new uboot.

About the USB not working for VIM3/VIM3L mainline kernel, I think I found the issue, it’s a bug of vendor u-boot (2015.10), so if you have current Ubuntu/Android image in the eMMC, and use it to bootup the mainline kernel, then the USB will not working.

How to resolve this issue? There are three ways:

• Waiting for new Ubuntu/Android release to fix this issue
  • Erase the eMMC to fully boot from SD card
  • Not erase eMMC, edit /boot/boot.ini to remove the following lines (in this way, the PCIe will not working)
if test ${port_mode} = 0; then
	fdt set /soc/usb@ffe09000 phys <${usb2_phy0} ${usb2_phy1} ${usb3_pcie_phy} 0x00000004>;
	fdt set /soc/usb@ffe09000 phy-names "usb2-phy0" "usb2-phy1" "usb3-phy0";
	fdt set /soc/pcie@fc000000 status disabled;
else
	fdt set /soc/usb@ffe09000 phys <${usb2_phy0} ${usb2_phy1}>;
	fdt set /soc/usb@ffe09000 phy-names "usb2-phy0" "usb2-phy1";
	fdt set /soc/pcie@fc000000 status okay;
fi;
4 Likes

@numbqq,

1. When will you offer mainline kernel server images for direct burn to eMMC?
  2. Are the usb-issue of relevance when one have latest Android in eMMC, boot mainline SD card and install SD card to eMMC with sudo emmc-install? Are there any other caviats of using emmc-install for mainline kernel?
  3. Can you please add the following kernel parameter to the next kernel build of 4.9.22* (I’m not sure if mainline has it enabled, but probably since it is VERY common to have enabled).
    Add CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_MULTIPORT=y to the line after CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_MARK=y. Without it one cannot use multiport module for IPTables/NFTables. I know that I can build the kernel on my own, but there are likely others who would appreciate this too.
2 Likes

This has been rectified in the latest Build versions of the mainline kernel…

You can send a PR to the Fenix github team :slight_smile:

Which other option(s) do I have to disable meson-remote in Ubuntu 20.04 than commenting out CONFIG_IR_MESON and recompiling the kernel? Is simply removing /boot/remote.conf enough and is it persistent concerning future kernel upgrades?