VIM4 Various storage modules and problems booting from them

Which system do you use? Android, Ubuntu, OOWOW or others?

Ubuntu

Which version of system do you use? Khadas official images, self built images, or others?

‘Latest official ubuntu that the oowow installed for me Ubuntu 22.04 fenix’

Please describe your issue below:

My problem is manyfold

1. My problem is not being able to boot from a SD card, Fast USB3 flash drive and the New M2X Extension, SKU: KM2X-V-002.

It will happily boot the images I can find in the OOWOW and nothing else works.

I know I’m overlooking many things so I ask is there no complete manual for the board? Something that describes how the boot process works for each of media you have connected and want to boot from.

1. Then we come to the topic I’m very much hoping to use. I added the New M2X unit solely to be able to start and boot from it, booting from it with Samsung EVO 970 1tb.

2. And the final part of the question is how do I boot from media that is marked as general-aarch64 or something like that. Like Ubuntu is far from being my favorite and would like to change to Manjaro KDE or any of the many general aarch64 distros that are available.

What works the best is to boot from emmc and map the directories/partitions to NVMe using a modified fstab. U-boot does not support NVMe boot at this time.

Thank you for your swift reply. I wonder if just using /etc and /boot/efi from the emmc and the rest on the ssd would work.

can you or anyone else recommend what to read to understand the boot procedure?

Exploring BeagleBone, second edition, Derek Molloy.

Only major differences would be to use aarch64 compiler for the examples, beaglebone black is armhf. Device tree stuff is different along with I/O related pins and some other details, overall its a good text to get upto speed.

2 Likes