VIM4 HDMI input as camera?

Today I’m ordering my VIM4 :grinning:
Best Regards
Ziya

1 Like

@Pokoynick A post usually only discusses one topic. Please reopen another post to discuss it. I will follow up and remove irrelevant replies in this post. In addition, there is a problem with the previously uploaded firmware. I have updated the link again. You need to download the firmware again.

1 Like

Can this feature be enabled if building the Android image ourselves?

1 Like

The corresponding patch has not been uploaded to github yet. We need to wait for the next version to be released. Three corresponding submissions need to be restored. Because the default patch is not applied to the code. If you urgently need it, I can send you the corresponding patch separately.

1 Like

Yes please, it is a critical feature for our project and would be great to get this working. Much appreciated!

@cadahl HDMI-IN_As_Camera_for_VIM4.zip - Google Drive

I today received my VIM4 and so far all is good. I installed Android 11 64bit by owow to check the default performance. I’m really satisfied. From now on, how are we going to install the updated images for HDMI in as camera? Shall we make a clean installation to the EMMC from these images listed here or shall we use the updater tool in khadas settings? Which image should I download to get HDMI in work as Camera?
Best Regards
Ziya

@zet34 Currently, you need to download the firmware linked above for EMMC installation. The next version of firmware release will default to supporting the functionality of using HDMI in as a camera.

1 Like

OK. Thank you. I’m now downloading. Best Regards

Hello goenjoy,
All worked fine :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :+1: I installed the related image for hdmi in as camera. Thank you for your efforts :pray: :slightly_smiling_face:
Can you add a feature to rotate and flip the hdmi in signal so that we can adjust the video orientation in the app. I use the display in portrait mode. The streaming apps open in the correct direction but some apps show the video in upside down direction (Though, the apps open in the correct orientaion).
If you need, I can upload some screenshots here.
Best Regards
Ziya

@zet34 Send it for a look.

Here is how it works on instagram
The display is Vertical(Portrait)
My friend took a screenshot from his phone and he confirms the same playback.
Best Regards
Ziya

The video scene is created in OBS studio (on Windows 10) and I do full projection of the scene to AML TV. Scene canvas is 1080x1920 pixels. In the display settings of Windows, AML is set to portrait (portrait flipped option is also available but I use deault portrait)
On VIM4, I use rotation app from google play to rotate the screen. The rotation settings of VIM4 on Khadas settings are default values. Rotation 0 degrees.
Now I have only one VIM4 board but I will buy 1 or 2 more and on each VIM4, a different streaming app will be working for parallel multiple streaming. I will split the hdmi out of the scene PC (the output of the graphics card of the PC) by using an HDMI splitter, so my source video must always be same and shouldn’t be flipped from windows settings. Depending on the app running on each VIM4 the video signal may be flipped or not.
Using the same settings in the screenshots, Tiktok opens the video in correct direction but Tiklive opens the video in opposite direction. I think this is due how each app handle the video orientation.

There are also 2 minor issues today I found.

1. For example, on Tiktok, before going live, my camera opens in correct direction but when I press go live button, the camera video turns upside down. On other app TikLive, they are both in correct direction.
  2. I tested the video as a guest in a multi guest live room on TikLive (i.e 4,6,9,12 seats). My live video preview on VIM4 is distorted as shown in the screenshot, but I also entered the room as a watcher from my iphone and my video was good.

Best Regards
Ziya

@zet34 HDMI-in as camera image is mirrored sometimes

Hi @zet34 I’m looking at using the VIM4 for the same purpose, for TikTok streaming.

Can I ask, what was your solution for getting audio input into the VIM4?

Is the VIM4 working correctly for you on TikTok?

1 Like

Can you reshare the firmware? The download no longer works, thank you.

1 Like

@Ben_Knight update.img - Google Drive

1 Like

@Ben_Knight Are there any further issues with your verification?

1 Like

@goenjoy thank you for the firmware image. I’ll purchase a VIM4 now and try it out. Thank you.

1 Like

Hello I am writing from Turkey.

1 - ) Has anyone tested whether the sound transferred from HDMI in Instagram or Tiktok application is Stereo or Mono?

2 -) Does it also recognize USB sound cards?

3- ) If it recognizes USB sound cards as in and out, is there a synchronization problem between the image and sound transferred via Hdmi?

4- ) Mr. Ziya mentioned in his experience that there is a camera rotation problem between applications. Was this problem solved? Is the camera fixed for all apps now?

5- ) Does Vim4 encode 2 channels of 16bit 48000khz when sending audio to applications? Does it support external high audio qualities? For example 2 channels 24-32bit 48000khz?

Thank you very much for your reply in advance.

Best Regards

Efe Özgür Yıldırım

1 Like