VIM4 does not work with brand new Gigabyte curved display

Which system do you use? Android, Ubuntu, OOWOW or others?

Ubuntu

Which version of system do you use? Khadas official images, self built images, or others?

Khadas official image

Please describe your issue below:

I bought a brand new curved display made by Gigabyte. model G32QC.

GIGABYTE G32QC A (32" 165Hz 1440P Curved Gaming Monitor, 2560 x 1440 VA 1500R Display, 1ms (MPRT) Response Time, 93% DCI-P3, VESA Display HDR400, FreeSync Premium Pro

The VIM4 UI keeps going in and out. The board itself is stable, I can SSH into it and use the command line to run commands and scripts but the UI is flashing, it is almost like it cannot sync up with the display or it is looking for the ideal resolution.

VIM4 works fine with a cheap LG HDMI display.

I actually confirmed this issue with two VIM4 boards. Both running Ubuntu.

I feel your pain. My VIM4 doesn’t work very well with my older DELL 1920x1200 display. All I get is a 1080i mess. Not even 1080p.

I thought my monitor or cabling had gone bad so I connected a ten year old RPi 1B and it had no issue with my monitor.

Me thinks the VIM4 only likes TV resolutions (1080 and 4K). I hope better resolution support can be added.

Cheers.

Hopefully someone from Khadas is monitoring this posting and can answer. I believe that it is a problem with sync or clock. I tested my Gigabit display with a Roku Express box and the display detected 1920x1080 @ 60Hz - I know the display can support 120Hz but if VIM4 can’t support then automatically set to what it can do. In my case, it looks like the VIM4 is in a loop trying to figure what the display can support but it is failing to lock on.

I don’t give up easily, I think I found a clue:

When I set the VIM4 to 1920x1080 60Hz it works - auto does not work because it was detecting the display supports 120Hz. Also, 3840 x 2160 (4K) does NOT work. I tried 4K @ 60Hz and @ 120Hz and no success.

Hello @gilmotta @pixelgazer

We are working on support more resolutions now.

1 Like

what about oowow mode (FUNCTION + RESET ) its must works any way because forced setup 1920x1080 60Hz

PS: try edit linux kernel boot parameters to setup custom resolutions for your ubuntu system

video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080@60
1 Like

Happy New Year!
Please let me know when you need me to test an updated driver for new resolutions.