VIM4 always runs in Performance mode

Which system do you use? Android, Ubuntu, OOWOW or others?

Ubuntu-Gnome 22.04

Which version of system do you use? Khadas official images, self built images, or others?

Kadas official

Please describe your issue below:

Breaking out discussion about VIM4 power modes in https://forum.khadas.com/t/khadas-wip-vim4-nvme-io-errors/16572/92 into a new topic because it had become OT.

I’ve been trying to change my VIM4 power mode from performance to schedutil but cpufrequtil won’t start due to missing schedutil governor.

had a look at the rc scripts and found that init.d/cpufrequtils was set to ondemand, 0, 0 but according to /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors, the governors available are performance and schedutil.

I changed it to schedutil, 50000, 208000 but it didn’t make any difference because it seems something else is setting it to performance on boot.

I did echo “schedutil” | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu?/cpufreq/scaling_governor
and cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy?/scaling_governor
gave me schedutil but it didn’t stick.

I discovered that cpufrequtils won’t start because it says the governor is not available no matter what I set it to - I guess it just defaults to performance?

Post a console log of your issue below:

user@Khadas:~$ sudo systemctl status cpufrequtils
● cpufrequtils.service - LSB: set CPUFreq kernel parameters
Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/cpufrequtils; generated)
Active: active (exited) since Tue 2022-10-11 15:13:04 BST; 2s ago
Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
Process: 316803 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/cpufrequtils start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
CPU: 21ms

Oct 11 15:13:04 Khadas systemd[1]: Starting LSB: set CPUFreq kernel parameters…
Oct 11 15:13:04 Khadas cpufrequtils[316803]: * CPUFreq Utilities: Setting schedutils CPUFreq governor…
Oct 11 15:13:04 Khadas cpufrequtils[316803]: * disabled, governor not available…
Oct 11 15:13:04 Khadas cpufrequtils[316803]: …done.
Oct 11 15:13:04 Khadas systemd[1]: Started LSB: set CPUFreq kernel parameters.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat :pensive:
It seems these are the only modes available:

$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
performance schedutil

This would explain why the governor can’t start.

I think there are bits of the source OS that never got included in the Khadas version that prevent the power saving features from working but like many other problems with the Khadas version of Ubuntu, it has never been responded to, let alone addressed.

I gave up and sold my VIM4 due to all the issues I had trying to do even simple things with it.

I know how you feel - it’s a board with a lot of potential, almost all of which just sits there. I can’t even become excited by the Armbian announcement - it’s probably targeted at the Edge 2.

While I understand that the focus is on the video side of things,I’d personally be quite happy to see my VIM4 with a modern kernel, Ethernet support (does the GiGE really have no flow control?) and fan control that made us of PWM. Oh, and Debian 11. That way I’d have a fast, 8-core machine with modern kernel, good connectivity, decent memory and an NVMe drive. That I could definitely use, even if just hook it up as a home server.

I’m not going to fault Khadas support on this - seems to be a tiny team who work hard but are faced with a gigantic task and are already more interested in the Edge 2 (since Rockchip actually supports their processors). Hopefully future projects will avoid SoCs with no real manufacturer support, no matter how good the specs look - great potential doesn’t mean a thing if it’s orphaned by the manufacturer.

1 Like

Yeah, I always thought they were doing their best but wait - you mean NVME drives actually work properly now?

I was trying to do the opposite: to overclock the performance cores. But no success. The result was similar to your description. It is what it is. But, the NVME works fine now. I haven’t got any issue with it since the Khadas team fixed it.

Oh, yeah, had a 1TB Western Digital Blue 570 on it for a few months, never had a problem with it. OK, so it’s a single lane of PCIe 2, but that’s fast enough for me, and the spec means the drive wasn’t too expensive.

From reading here, it’s still picky about drives, but there seem to be several that give no problems.

It used to be some kind of software issue. You can find the details in early threads about it. I had the vim4 from the start, and in the NVME didn’t work. Now, its great. It’s my first SBC and even with all the issues, i like it. Its a great learning experience.