VIM4 always runs in Performance mode

Which system do you use? Android, Ubuntu, OOWOW or others?

Ubuntu-Gnome 22.04

Which version of system do you use? Khadas official images, self built images, or others?

Kadas official

Please describe your issue below:

Breaking out discussion about VIM4 power modes in https://forum.khadas.com/t/khadas-wip-vim4-nvme-io-errors/16572/92 into a new topic because it had become OT.

I’ve been trying to change my VIM4 power mode from performance to schedutil but cpufrequtil won’t start due to missing schedutil governor.

had a look at the rc scripts and found that init.d/cpufrequtils was set to ondemand, 0, 0 but according to /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors, the governors available are performance and schedutil.

I changed it to schedutil, 50000, 208000 but it didn’t make any difference because it seems something else is setting it to performance on boot.

I did echo “schedutil” | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu?/cpufreq/scaling_governor
and cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy?/scaling_governor
gave me schedutil but it didn’t stick.

I discovered that cpufrequtils won’t start because it says the governor is not available no matter what I set it to - I guess it just defaults to performance?

Post a console log of your issue below:

user@Khadas:~$ sudo systemctl status cpufrequtils
● cpufrequtils.service - LSB: set CPUFreq kernel parameters
Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/cpufrequtils; generated)
Active: active (exited) since Tue 2022-10-11 15:13:04 BST; 2s ago
Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
Process: 316803 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/cpufrequtils start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
CPU: 21ms

Oct 11 15:13:04 Khadas systemd[1]: Starting LSB: set CPUFreq kernel parameters…
Oct 11 15:13:04 Khadas cpufrequtils[316803]: * CPUFreq Utilities: Setting schedutils CPUFreq governor…
Oct 11 15:13:04 Khadas cpufrequtils[316803]: * disabled, governor not available…
Oct 11 15:13:04 Khadas cpufrequtils[316803]: …done.
Oct 11 15:13:04 Khadas systemd[1]: Started LSB: set CPUFreq kernel parameters.