VIM3L - Upgrade Mode defaulting to Android Recovery

I am not able to boot into ‘Upgrade Mode’ for my VIM 3L with every method specified in the documentation. When I do as the instructions mention, I am brought to the ‘Android Recovery’ screen. I am able to see the contents of the SD card when selecting ‘Apply update from EXT’ > ‘Update from sdcard’, but I am not able to update.

On another note, I tried upgrading with USB-C to USB-C on my Windows computer using the ‘USB Upgrade Tool’. I do get ‘Connect Success’, but when trying to select the disk image I get an error message mentioning that it is unable to parse the disk image.

Hello, I do not have the VIM3L, but I do have the VIM3. I am curious, when you attempted update with a PC, did you remove the micro SD card?

Hey, I originally tried with the micro SD card in. Just tried it with the card out and still have the same error message.

Which image(s) did you try to use for SD? For USB Burning Tool?

The SD card images are not intended to be flashed using Recovery.

Have you tried to use Krescue to flash the VIM3L?

If that does not work, perhaps @numbqq could help find a solution.

Just figured it out, my issue was that I was using the file “VIM3L_Ubuntu-gnome-focal_Linux-4.9_arm64_SD-USB_V0.9-20200530.img” instead of “VIM3L_Ubuntu-gnome-focal_Linux-4.9_arm64_EMMC_V0.9-20200530.img”. I got confused thinking “SD-USB” meant that it would work with the computer method.

Thank you for helping!

1 Like

Your welcome. Glad you were successful.
Have fun. :slightly_smiling_face: