VIM3L - Opening Up New Possibilities for DIY-HTPC Enthusiasts

Ah it’s fun that you did this because I did the same with a thermal camera on my Odroid-Go and arrived to similar results. I’ve been running loops of “make -j4” on haproxy for one hour and the temperature on the soC stabilized around 54C for ~18C ambiant (note that the desk reached around 25C due to my long series of tests.

So in Linux it’s pretty correct. I have no idea what CoreELEC does to cook the device as it does for others. For example, maybe it comes with its own kernel and/or device tree; in this case are we sure it doesn’t change the kernel’s operating points resulting in a higher voltage sent to the SoC ?

1 Like

@tsangyoujun, @Gouwa for some reason the board is not recognized on the flash software for windows but it worked great on ubuntu telling the flash program its a VIM3 and not VIM3L. Anyway could you build a version of ubuntu with hardware aceleration? Does this kernel work?
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/panfrost/linux

Edit:
Ok so according to a post above only the the 4.9kernel supports the wireless module and the open source panfrost drivers require a kernel version of 5.2 or higher so is it likelly that in the next months the VIM3L will have hardware aceleration instead llvmpipe? Am i missing something out of pure ignorance?

1 Like

No CPU hogs. I run a mix of 1080p and 4K videos frequently and for hours together; maybe that’s too much (time and load-wise) for the board.

panfrost has been in development for over a year at this stage and is still not mature. Realistically it is likely to be at least 6 more months before you get anything usable as a daily driver. As much as people want to march into the brave new world of mainline Linux you will only get top performance from the kernel produced by AMLogic which is 4.9
Coreelec is fully optimized to use the Hardkernel Kernel, and will soon be moving onto a more stable pure AMLogic kernel. Nothing will compete with its performance for the forseeable future and that is why the VIM3L come bundled with it in its HTPC bundle.

Shoog

2 Likes

Well, this is disappointing, android is far from having a good desktop experience but i guess it will do until there are drivers capable of powering PPSSPP on linux on this board, thank you for the answer, i’ll wait then.

1 Like

When will the Khadas VIM3L HTPC KIT be available on Digi-Key?

We’ve already sent the product details to them, it depends on when they order next. :smile:

1 Like