Vim3L New Linux OS's to be available when?

Im always interested in exploring graphic programming on new systems, however I don’t like using Android, But it seems at the moment there just are no downloadable Linux systems I can flash the new board with so am stuck with its onboard Android? Any idea when any kind of Linux will be availble for download, and what is the status of graphic drivers for the G31 GPU?

Linux will be available easily but the GPU for video work like playback and rendering wont be possible yet. As HW Acc is still as work in progress and also bifrost is not yet supported under panfrost, So dont get your hopes high.

You can do thing with fbturbo drivers which is software acceleration.

That is dissapointing, but not entierly surprising. A lot of makers promote their boards with a long list of features, especially the GPU, but they are simply not operational and may never be. The Vim 2 still has no GPU drivers!!. Its a source of great frustration for me, as I am an OpenGL/ES coder and I want to use the GPU fully and have access to it. Giving me an OpenGLES3.2 GPU but then not giving me any way to actually use it, its just false advertising really.

Its quite pointless to me to tell me a new SBC has xyz GPU because it can never be used. Its really not just Khadas, almost every other maker does the same; promote a board with awesome on board features that simply are not accessable to normal users.

Its time that this false advertising was stopped. Its really great that Khadas makes boards, with amazing features…but it you dont’ actually provide the ability to use the features its not reasonable and the goods are not fit for purpose.

1 Like

Have you found any boards that have supported gpus or ai accelerators or provide full drivers with libraries?

1 Like

Agreed. I just discovered @Spikerguy other (long) forum post on this topic. I need both NPU and GPU together to do acceptable playback on board for some recognition software I’d like to write for Vim3. I really appreciate the layout of ports, etc…

Vim3 touted 5TOPs. Will have to settle for RockPi 3TOPs but has both processors supported. Sorry Khadas

Hi @MichaelNino:
You might interest in:

Good day!

In that forum post @numbqq states:

In The End

The performance of the video display still need to improve.

I assume you are running this image, can you describe why the video performance still needs to be improved because if the output is choppy at full screen then the image isn’t helpful. I need both NPU and GPU.

i think boards with intel gpu are in that category…

Boards with intel gpu are just x86 boards (like Atomic Pi or Udoo x86 ones) but those don’t provide NPU afaik, and those Atom/Celeron iGPUs tend to be weak.

If VIM3 doesn’t do the job I’d suggest Nvidia Jetson Nano (which has a really powerful GPU, maybe the best in the 100-200 bucks range) or even Google Coral for the AI/NPU part.

Nvidia is no NPU, if hardware accelerated neural nets is the real need, then GPU is one option, but NPU support but SDKs seems very weak as of now

I’m not sure where you guys are getting this from but I’ve been able to run dolphin emulator and about 75 other systems on the build I’m doing? I haven’t hit any major issues besides Wayland being different and needing some links and work arounds.

2 Likes

Yes there are quite some number that have GPU drivers, most of the Rockchip units for example, Raspberries, some Orange and Nano pi’s, the Up! intel units, older Odroids, and the Jetson Nano, as a small sample, all have full GPU hardware acceleration . The jetson also has drivers to enhance its AI systems, but I don’t do much with those so can’t comment on how well it compares with an NPU.
I keep a list of GLmark2 scores to indicate which are accelerated on my forum at www.scratchpadgames.net

1 Like

Any news on a version of Ubuntu or Debian for the Vim3L?

maybe u dont know !?

NOTE: any image prefix VIMx suitable for any VIM device
NOTE: VIM3L prefix only for VIM3L :wink:

PS: i will prepare soon last ubuntu with mainline kernel soon

PSS: https://dl.khadas.com/Firmware/VIM3L/Ubuntu/SD_USB/VIM3L_Ubuntu-xfce-bionic_Linux-5.5-rc2_arm64_SD-USB_V20191231.7z - same possible directly write to EMMC same as SD

Thanks, I will try one of these.

No I didn’t know, since there are no links on the main site page for Vim3L and trying to find something here can be quite a chore as there is no specific Vim3L section.

https://docs.khadas.com/vim3/#Krescue-Khadas-Rescue-OS

i will update links soon => dl.khadas.com - Index of /firmware/vim3l/

1 Like