VIM3 randomly shutting down every few days

Specs and some details:
Linux kh-node3 5.5.0-rc2 #0.8.2 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jan 3 09:48:06 CST 2020 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

VIM3_Ubuntu-server-bionic_Linux-5.5-rc2_arm64_SD-USB_V0.8.2-20200103 on sd booting card on Vim3.

Have a V-Nand SSD 970 Evo Plus NVMe M2. attached to USB 3.0 Port

Getting great performance from it, using it to host a docker tomcat container on it.

Every few days or so, the Vim would suddenly shut down, I was thinking it was a temperature issue but as far as I can tell the Vim 3 and the SSD are not hot at all (Vim 3 via temp sensor). Just wondering if this is a power saver management issue or if someone else encountered a similar issue. If so how did you resolve this issue? As it is extremely annoying as I have this Vim3 running as a kubernetes node and it needs to up and running all the time.

The Vim 3 is also attached to a UPS for clean power and continuous uptime.

Do you have extra power supply for the USB SSD ? VIM3 USB host can only supply 500mA and 900mA.

And a running log will be useful.

1 Like

yes ! i think same its power supply power
ssd device very easy can require 1A and more on peaks its not ofter and on very short time but device same need about 0.5A

i think u need warranty supply about 2-3A minimum for supply board and not via usb

3 Likes

also try excluding and checking.

1 Like

Ok, makes sense thanks everyone.