VIM3 Crypto Currency Miner Build

Hi @Birty, any update on SBC2 availability/pricing? And is it be possible to use it with Edge-V? Thank you in advance for any info …

Hi - work has been ridiculous over the last couple of months - have managed to get most of it sorted. Have got a week off the week after next - will get everything up and running then and release them.

Not sure re edge-v - quick look at the circuit diagram says yes they should, but would need to test and i dont have one. Wonder if Khadas fancies sending me one to test out :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep if needed.

But we will recommend go with VIM3 instead as higher performance and better price :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you and agreed - lower power usage as well!

Yeah, but I already have 10 edge-v pro and I am close to regret my choice. In opposite to vim2/3, the edge-v seems to be much less supported - e.g. no case (and don’t bring that “DIY case, just cut it a bit”), no PoE, no VIN, problematic stacking … :crazy_face:

@birty if khadas team will not provide you with an edge-v I will buy you one - and will pray you give some attention to check it’s compatibility - just send me a PM if you’re interested :wink:

3 Likes

Ok cool, thanks for the offer would t feel right taking one off you - might just get one to add to my SBC collection :smiley:

Everything pretty much done(commits in GitHub) - just need to get the firmware update working then it’s ready. Website ready to go as well (https://sbc-cluster.com/) just need to get that last bit going before going live with something half baked.

Silly stuff like finding out the Microchip linker spreads code out in program memory for no apparent reason that had me looking around the code for a random lookup table I was fairly sure wasn’t there slowed me down this week!

But have it all working standalone ( https://github.com/neilbirtles/PIC16F1827_I2C_Bootloader) just need to integrate now so will be done in the next day or three

4 Likes

Firmware and web front-end now finally working!

Just need to get the website sorted with a few pictures then will release!

3 Likes

Having continuing issues trying to get paypal working on my website - supposed to be simple with woocommerce! Have worked out pricing though. There will be two options initially each available built or as a kit

Basic board - 5 slots for SBC connecting via USB-C, up to 3.2A per slot, web interface available for monitoring and controlling the 4 clients slots, webserver runs on the main board.
Basic Board + 12V Fan header - as above but with a step-up converter on board that will drive a standard PC case fan - useful for providing the cooling when the cluster is in a case

Initial Prices (Khadas - if this isnt ok to post here then please let me know and i will remove):
Basic Board - £39.99 for the kit (PCB + all components), £45.99 for the assembled board
Basic Board +12v Fan supply - £43.88 for the kit, £50.54 for the assembled board

Shipping:
Free in the UK, rest of world at cost

Compatibility - tested with VIM3, got an Edge-V to try (thanks Khadas!) along with a Rasp Pi 4 and Orange Pi

Complete design is open source here if you want to make your own from scratch https://github.com/neilbirtles/SBC-Cluster-Board

picture in this post VIM3 Crypto Currency Miner Build and kits will look a lot like this

7 Likes

Interesting,
I have a friend who have asked me to look into mining and ite profitablity.
He wants me to help him setup something where he can mine. Idk much about crypto lately as I’ve been disconnected from it. Last I mined btc was like 8yrs ago.

I will look into whats good to mine and which one have higher Rio without much of investment like in high end gpu.

1 Like

I’m currently mining one called xbtx or BitcoinSubsidium. Profit calcs are all the same but will use that coin as an example:

Rewards per day for xbtx are - 60 second block time * 5xbtx block reward. So 60245 = 7200 xbtx per day.

1. (Miner hashrate / network hashrate) * rewards per day = average coins mined per day

2. Average coins mined per day * price in BTC * BTC price = gross profit

3. Gross profit - electric costs = net profit

4. Miner cost / net profit = ROI days

As of right now (and using the example of a kit miner from my website SBC Cluster Kit - SBC Cluster Boards and xbtx price from birake exchange) when writing this the calcs are:

1. (0.05625kh/s / 6.58) * 7200 = 61.55xbtx / day from the miner
  2. 61.55 * 0.00000073 * 32000 = £1.43/day gross profit
  3. £1.43 - £0.122 = £1.308 net profit / day
  4. £686.99 / £1.308 = 525 days ROI or just less than a year and a half

Note that these profit number vary pretty wildly up and down so need to take that view into account

4 Likes

I guess the cost of electricity can have a drastic change to the earnings…

Buddy, this is a hobby, why deny yourself what you like!
:slightly_smiling_face:

This is the advantage of an SBC based miner - as not so much - I went with 30w in these calcs and at £0.17/kWh that amounts to £0.12/day or about 8.5% of the profits and I have relatively expensive electric costs here.

2 Likes

Could someone share their xmrig configuration? I’m getting “no suitable configuration found” for opencl :frowning:

Crypto has exploded the past few months :laughing: any photographs of your functioning VIM3 mining rig?

Are talking about Ethereum or Dogecoin ? :grin:

Today the dynamics are positive :grinning::+1:

1 Like

5 Likes

Hey! have you already mastered hard drive mining?:relaxed:

It definitely has - wish I had bitcoin instead of lots of random alt coins :smiley:

Rig still looks like this VIM3 Crypto Currency Miner Build - #30 by birty when its mining - its not very exciting lol

2 Likes