VIM3 Android R(11) V210604 Preview Rom Release

I have Android R(11) V210604 installed in one of my VIM3 Pro 32g devices.
I have memory errors.
only shows 16g ram not 32
shows SD card corrupted, cache corrupted etc.

Android 9 works fine, device is ok.

1 Like

just saw something on the yukawa tree master updates and it looks like there was something that was confusing the built in storage manager that was just removed

yukawa: fstab: remove */block/mmcblk2 entry

The internal emmc (mmcblk2) should not need to be managed by vold.
This entry confuses StorageManagerService as observeable in logcat:

W StorageManagerService: Reporting public:179,6 unmounted due to system locked
W StorageManagerService: Reporting public:179,7 unmounted due to system locked
W StorageManagerService: Reporting public:179,8 unmounted due to system locked
W StorageManagerService: Reporting public:179,9 unmounted due to system locked
W StorageManagerService: Reporting emulated;0 unmounted due to system locked
W StorageManagerService: Reporting public:179,10 unmounted due to system locked
W StorageManagerService: Reporting public:179,1 unmounted due to system locked
W StorageManagerService: Reporting public:179,2 unmounted due to system locked
W StorageManagerService: Reporting public:179,3 unmounted due to system locked

Change the wildcard to mmcblk[0-1] instead.

Note: this also removes the “Issue with SD card” popups from the UI.

im going to give it a test in a little bit as soon as i add the changes to the source on my system. as for the 16gb of storage instead of 32, its cause the bootloader they are using is the one thats from baylibre and would need to be recompiled to use the full storage. i will see what i can do there

3 Likes

@JustSumDad Memory errors was fixed, but V210604 not support 32G.

the allocated size issue (to baylibre, it doesnt seem to be an issue) was and still is in the master branch as well and before where the user partition was set to a static size, i had to recompile the bootloader with some changes to get the full nand size. right now it looks like they have provisioned the remainder is used for a root dir that is i think to be used for gki development on the kernel side, but as far as i know, the current kernels are still the traditional type and the gki kernel has to be built from source from the mainline kernel source for android.

1 Like

这个版本是64位的android吗?什么时候提供SDK?我觉得你们移植过程中的一些坑也可以做成wiki

@peng794 是64位的,我们修改的内容会提交给Google合并。
如果你想下载编译SDK可以用这个分支。现在master分支已经是Android12了。

so i added the changes and it did indeed get rid of the issue of memory being displayed as corrupted.

first i would like to say, if anything here is confusing in any way, its better to save yourself the headache and do nothing less you brick something, thought khadas devices are VERY hard to brick. still though better safe than sorry.

i compiled a new bootloader based on the latest one from the master branch with the changes for the userdata partition to take up the remainder of the storage and for rootfs to be a static 1GB. this may cause space problems on the vim3 basic that only has 16GB of storage so i dont recommend flashing on that device. i am not sure how much space is remaining for the rootfs to take up, or how much it needs so i just put it at a gig to not have issues. the userdata image is scaled up ~2x or 25GB for testing purposes so again should only be used on the pro version.

for those wanting to make changes to the bootloader to get a more optimal rootfs size you only need to change the config file {WORKINGDIR}>include>configs>khadas-vim3_android.h to the quoted below with size being where you make your changes:

#if defined(CONFIG_CMD_AB_SELECT)
#define PARTS_DEFAULT
“uuid_disk=${uuid_gpt_disk};”
“name=logo,start=512K,size=2M,uuid=” LOGO_UUID
“name=misc,size=512K,uuid=${uuid_gpt_misc};”
“name=dtbo_a,size=8M,uuid=${uuid_gpt_dtbo_a};”
“name=dtbo_b,size=8M,uuid=${uuid_gpt_dtbo_b};”
“name=vbmeta_a,size=512K,uuid=${uuid_gpt_vbmeta_a};”
“name=vbmeta_b,size=512K,uuid=${uuid_gpt_vbmeta_b};”
“name=boot_a,size=32M,bootable,uuid=${uuid_gpt_boot_a};”
“name=boot_b,size=32M,bootable,uuid=${uuid_gpt_boot_b};”
“name=super,size=3072M,uuid=${uuid_gpt_super};”
“name=rootfs,size={SIZE}M,uuid=” ROOT_UUID
“name=userdata,size=-,uuid=${uuid_gpt_userdata};”

#else
#define PARTS_DEFAULT
“uuid_disk=${uuid_gpt_disk};”
“name=logo,start=512K,size=2M,uuid=” LOGO_UUID
“name=misc,size=512K,uuid=${uuid_gpt_misc};”
“name=dtbo,size=8M,uuid=${uuid_gpt_dtbo};”
“name=vbmeta,size=512K,uuid=${uuid_gpt_vbmeta};”
“name=boot,size=32M,bootable,uuid=${uuid_gpt_boot};”
“name=recovery,size=32M,uuid=${uuid_gpt_recovery};”
“name=cache,size=256M,uuid=${uuid_gpt_cache};”
“name=super,size=1792M,uuid=${uuid_gpt_super};”
“name=rootfs,size={SIZE}M,uuid=” ROOT_UUID
“name=userdata,size=-,uuid=${uuid_gpt_userdata};”

#endif

the source code for this and compile instructions can be found here or in the device source bootloader folder. hope this helps others

1 Like

Just wondering if anyone has a working Windows driver? I’ve tried every ADB driver I could find but nothing sticks. Is there a specific driver that recognizes the VIM3 board? Can’t get passed “USB download gadget”.

Never mind about the driver. I didn’t realize that my PC could see the VIM3 board anyway until I ran a “fastboot devices” command. Then just went ahead an flashed the files. Booted right up into Android 11. BTW, I’m running “Windows 11” so the install procedure is working on the new version of Windows.

1 Like

Thank you but I switched over to Ubuntu and got it done.

I will wait again for a new version as this one is not able to support my project.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. It seems the usb driver already in Windows 11 works too.

Hope there’s some good news coming on the next release. I’ve managed to load quite a few apps, include Amazon Prime, Netfilx, HBO Max, etc. But my screen on my Sony XBR-65X850F is jumping all over the place so it’s difficult to look at. Also most of the streaming apps are stuttering real bad along with video playing via Chrome.

Looking forward to a more stable release. If you have questions please feel free to ask.

Unfortunately, I had to re-flash Android 11 due to a system lockup that wouldn’t let me reboot.

This is the method I used to “Re-flash”. This is for re-flashing only!

To re-flash Android 11 onto Vim3

Press power button and don’t release.
plug usb-c cable into Vim3
Press reset button and release.
Count to 10 and release power button.

At this point Vim3 should be in Fastboot mode.

Then assuming you have all the flash files listed below in the same directory as the Android directory that contains the fastboot cmd:

fastboot oem format
fastboot flash bootloader u-boot_kvim3_noab.bin
fastboot erase bootenv
fastboot reboot bootloader
press reset key.

flash img:

fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash super super.img
fastboot flash cache cache.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash dtbo dtbo-unsigned.img
fastboot reboot

1 Like

Will there be a new Rom Release soon that has the current updates etc?
something with the Khadas VIM tools in it etc?

Thanx

Just curious. Are you dropping support for Android 11 and moving on to Android 12? There has been no new rom release for more than 2 months so it would appear you are dropping support for this version. Please let us know asap as it makes no sense for me to invest my time if Android 11 is being dropped for 12.

Thanks for your attention.
Android 11 will be released, and Android 12 will be released later.

For the official release will you stay with android boot image 2 or will you use boot image 3? I also know that with android 12 boot image 4 will be introduced too, but from what I read, 3 and 4 are basically the same.

Is there any kind of timeline here?

Waiting for Google to solve some issues.We’ll release the Rom again.

2 Likes