VIM2 vs. VIM3L benchmarks?

If Khadas are serious about supporting the VIM’s as embedded devices then they should maintain production nearly indefinately. That was my point.

Its all about what Khadas see’s themselves as been in the future. if this wasn’t what they intend then I would have expected the VIM1 to already be dropped.

Shoog

Oh yea, in that case I agree :slight_smile:

if you pay attention, it was Khadas that got to Android 9, and soon 10 Rockchip, I don’t know who else supports it!

Yes, Software support still rocks :+1:

I doubt though that they will continue updating Android for the likes of the VIM1, this is an expensive and time consuming job and not remotely relevant to embedded device buyers.

Where I work there is still a major part of the plant running on Win98, and doubtless it will never be upgraded because of the potential downtime that would entail.

Embedded device buyers have very different requirements to normal users.

Shoog

Yes, exactly, they have totally different worlds of use cases :wink:

This may not make sence to this conversation but it does in my head lol

THere is a guy on the freaktab site who makes a rom for the 905X3 boards and he splits the roms up into parts

Like the boot part is one seperate file, the OSP or ATV then there is a file called vendor

Its like one part is the boot logo and what ever else is in it, then the actual version of android or maybe its a launcher (still a n00b at this) then when you install the vendor it like installs the wifi driver and bluetooth

My point is why can Khadas do the same thing? as the android versions change or improve the hardware wont change so those drivers should still be the same they will just need reinstalled over the android?

probably it will be more easier for people to get a pre-made image without wasting there time fiddling with those files, its very simple for the Common user to get the pre-made image, put it in their VIM and not waste time to enjoy doing what they like :slight_smile:

But I think you can still get those Files if you want from the Khadas github

all the same, you are comparing stock firmware with modifications, these are different things
:slightly_smiling_face:

Drivers frequently need rebasing against the new Android version because a lot of the hooks change. This is the fundamental problem with Android and Linux in particular - there is no stable interface to the hardware for drivers to remain static against. Every time the kernel does a major bump all the drivers also need bumping. This is why a vendor produces a full firmware and not a part firmware.

Shoog

ok, i see i only know some what about windows thats why i tried to compare it

Ive messed with a couple of cheap boxes using twrp and the main android version another developer made works with several different boxes but you then need to install a “vendor” file and then things like bluetooth, wifi and other features dedicated to a certain box then works once the “vendor” part is installed so i just sort of assumed it was like a driver pack of some sort.

The S912 outperforms in GPU’s tasks simply because of the extra core other than that they are mostly equal. The L3 cache on the S905?3 series could help but don’t delays or if anyone is really optimizing for ARMv8.2 or greater chips. I know the miners aren’t the code is mostly setup for neon to SSE2 which is slow as hell. Honestly can’t really lose with either chip. but you don’t need much cooling with the VIM3L you’ll need it on the VIM 2 along with the hi9gher power draw. When Mining DefyX on the VIM3L draws 3.5 Watts at the wall. I got my own heatsink on for that board as well it’s 30x40x5mm since Khadas stopped selling the old style heatsink. You could install the fan and block as well but it’s just a waste. Metal plate on the VIM 3 is really nice for weight but little else imo.

2 Likes

@wll1rah what is your opinion for someone who is going to build a cluster that is CPU intensive tasks ?
Especially because the VIM3L has that higher single core performance…

Yes, but unfortunately its the best in class as far as price performance goes. Hot as hell though. Need massive heatsink to tame that one. I like the VIM3 but so damn expensive. I do wish I’d see Khadas use one of the Allwinner chips likely the H6/ 616/ 313 as an NPU-less media center. the Vim1 could be replaced with that.

Realtek looks better, but may be more expensive
:slightly_smiling_face:

I really want to see chipsets from other manufacturers like snapdragon, those powerful SoCs could be put to good use…

I want to see if Apple puts their A series of Soc available for developers to put in SBC’s
we would get killer performance :crazy_face:

Buddy, Realtek doesn’t make SoC, I think you are referring to Mediatek…

buddy, unfortunately they did not work well, otherwise they would have been successful for a long time

yeah, if you brick a snapdragon chipset, it is trash from there on…

buddy, you don’t have enough information

:wink: