VIM1S and home assistant supervisor

Hello, the problem came from Iptables. I solved it with these commands:
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
$ sudo apt-get install ca-certificates curl gnupg lsb-release
$ sudo mkdir -p /etc/apt/keyrings
$ curl -fsSL https://download.docker.com/linux/ubuntu/gpg | sudo gpg --dearmor -o /etc/apt/keyrings/docker.gpg
$ echo “deb [arch=$(dpkg --print-architecture) signed-by=/etc/apt/keyrings/docker.gpg] Index of linux/ubuntu/ $(lsb_release -cs) stable” | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/docker.list > /dev/null
$ sudo apt-get update
$ update-alternatives --set iptables /usr/sbin/iptables-legacy
$ sudo apt-get install docker-ce docker-ce-cli containerd.io docker-compose-plugin
$ sudo docker pull homeassistant/home-assistant
Thank you all

Hi Bredin76,
This command solved your problem : $ update-alternatives --set iptables /usr/sbin/iptables-legacy

Actually i used directly 2 lines - This one and the same one with ip6tables like i say in my post
Before this 2 lines - Docker Hello world is no running - after Hello world is ok.

then I succeed to have an Home assistant supervised working on DEBIAN Buster BUT i had to use homeassistant-supervised.deb in 1.2.0 cause since 1.3 you have to be on DEBIAN Bulleye => so Unhealthy installation

Next - i tried to update this debian buster, with home assistant supervised installed, using the first part of this tutorialBUT VIM1S falls in bootloop

I succeed to update a frash Buster installation in Bullseye BUT was unable to install home assistant supervised ( I tired 1.4.1 Script without success)…

I will try a new way by this week or the @pappicio .img

Regards

Hello, i tried to install this image but OOWOW does not detect it…
I tried by USB/FAT32 and SD card , the supports are detected but oowow dont find any image file :roll_eyes:

the image works, you have to decompress the file and put it on the usb key using the balena etcher software. owoo will see it next :wink:

1 Like

but… if I remember well, only have to copy .img.zst (as you download it, without decompress it) file into a FAT32 microsd insert and start oowow system, then exploring into folders, you can find (as you do with online image files!) and install this image… I did this operations… if I remember well, not exploded it as ready to go system on sdcard, maybe is another way to do.

hi there, tried the image but getting these

can you fix these?
sorry i´m a newbie here

Hello, is the support of HA is still a work in progress ?

I ran into the same thing. I fixed it by running:

sudo nano /boot/uEnv.txt

Add systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=0 apparmor=1 security=apparmor to the boot_user_args= section and reboot. So once added, you should have:

boot_user_args=systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=0 apparmor=1 security=apparmor

This is the old installation guide and is not necessary anymore. You no longer need a USB and the image is accessible on the device itself with OOWOW. See replies below for more info on the updated guide.

For other newbies like myself, here’s an updated version of @pappicio’s image with the language set to English and the “AppArmor” and “CGroup” issues fixed.

There are 2 images to choose from. The first image will keep the LED on the device at default (on). The second image will instead set the LED light to ‘off’ after every boot. Choose whichever one you prefer.

1. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dsJATOTcAwlERVs82tYXB35TpHFs5vRE/view?usp=share_link
  2. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E3gyPWhYxjkJY2mX9Q-SGAyl6gvJ8RJy/view?usp=share_link

Instructions:

Note: Use a USB drive as using an SD card did not work for me, unless using a USB SD card reader.

Put .zst file (no need to extract) onto a USB drive and insert into the device
Open OOWOW by holding the ‘function’ (middle) and pressing the ‘reset’ (right) button
When OOWOW starts, select ‘Exit’ as we’ll connect ethernet/wi-fi later
Select ‘Write image to eMMC’
Hit ‘Enter’ to select ‘…/’
Select your USB drive
Select the image .zst
Hit ‘Enter’ to select ‘Write’
Once completed, reboot the system

There are two logins (make sure to change these):

root with password root and
pi with password pi

Once logged in, connect your ethernet cable or set up Wi-Fi by running:

nmcli dev wifi rescan
nmcli dev wifi list
nmcli dev wifi connect "your network name" password "your network password"
ip addr show

Take note of your host IP address under your network adapter (eg. wlan0) and open HOSTIP:8123 (eg. 192.168.0.100:8123) in your browser. It might take a few minutes to appear.

PLEASE NOTE: Make sure to update Home Assistant immediately after setup, enable 2FA on Home Assistant (for good measure) and change the default logins on the VIM1S.

2 Likes

Nice to see this progress with vim1s, is there a way to turn the led off if we used the first image of @pappicio ?

Yes, you can do this by running:

sudo nano /etc/rc.local

Halfway down, you should see:

# Setup LED: heartbeat if bootup completed

with something like this underneath:

echo heartbeat | sudo tee /sys/class/leds/pwmled/trigger

Replace this with:

echo none | sudo tee /sys/class/leds/pwmled/trigger

2 Likes

Oh great thanks so much. Now i think we have the perfect image and the perfect apparel to run home assistant.

I tried your /etc/rc.local modification. It helps. Thanks!

I installed this image, updated Home Assistant after but I have this error/warning. Already tried the solutions in the article but no luck.

I came across this before but forgotten how I fixed it. I tried replicating the issue again but couldn’t, though if I do I’ll be sure to give an update.

As far as I am aware, this will only affect access the Host logs from within Home Assistant

An update regarding this…

The old images I provided ran on an older version of Home Assistant and Hass OS in order to work, as I struggled to get it working otherwise, hence why I mentioned to update HA immediately.

This image uses the latest version of the HA installer and Hass OS, so no update required and has all issues resolved (at least on my device). I remembered how to fix the “Systemd Journal” issue, thankfully!

I also have it working for eMMC and SD card so you don’t have to rely on the 16GB eMMC.

If anybody has the time to try this image (this is for eMMC, same install process as my video) to confirm that it works also, please let me know :slight_smile:

Default login is:

User: khadas
Pass: khadas

Many thanks

This image is now accessible through OOWOW Wizard, see below for more info

1 Like

Hello dxnnelly,

I tried your image of above ‘vim1s-ha-supervised-debian-11-minimal-linux-5.4-fenix-1.5.1-230623.img.zst’, successfuly written to internal eMMC from USB stick memory which process I failed yesterday. It seems work well except ‘dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration’ which I need. Any way, I have just installed, then this reply is very very initial result.

Regards,

In case anyone else has this issue, and is possibly using a non-US keyboard, @C_B11 resolved this by running:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration

You may need to try re-write via OOWOW again if running that does not work

Good morning,
First test with the last image (
vim1s-ha-supervised-debian-11-minimal-linux-5.4-fenix-1.5.1-230623.img.zst 2) everything works fine. But I can’t install the Bluetooth and zigbee dongles on the usb ports. Looks like HA is not detecting them.